Vacuum cleaners...Recommendations?

zeitgeist57

We just picked up a big rabbit this weekend and while it's been clean in our previously pet-free house, the Shark mini vacuum just won't cut it; I try to keep my abode clean.

Anyone recommend a great vacuum? I'd like something not too expensive, so a Dyson is fine if someone thinks it's the greatest thing ever, but I'm happy with a good Hoover...

House is a split-level ranch, mostly tile/hardwood flooring with wool area rugs. 3 flights of stairs so a good stair attachment would be nice.

CR treats me well. Looking to buy something today. Thanks!

Eureka Suction Seal - Pet AS1104 A. Available at most Lowes, Sears, on Amazon. $130 if you shop smart.

I've used mine for two years and it's the best vacuum I've used at any price. Does a great job with bare wood floors, has a power-roller detachable for cleaning pet hair off upholstery, you can turn the main floor roller off, and it is by far the easiest HEPA filtration system to keep clean/empty.

We love our Miele...bought locally at Carmen's in Westerville but they have a few locations. We've had ours a couple years without issues and have 4 pets so LOTS of hair.

Edit...wanted to point out we ONLY have hardwood/tile floors and no carpet so not sure how it does if you have carpet.

:thumbup:

We were at 5 animals (now 4) I couldnt survive cleaning on any other vacuum. Had it for about 7 years now. I have taken it apart and cleaned it easily, and the filters are washable. Very happy with my purchase.

I was worried about spending this much on a vacuum but i can honestly say i have gotten my 500 worth. (i vacuum easily 3-5x a week having a dual coat dog who sheds all year, 24/7)

Honestly Dyson. We have both the Animal Upright and the little DC59 Animal Handheld. That's a great little unit and would likely serve you best everywhere. Just my two cents.

Honestly Dyson. We have both the Animal Upright and the little DC59 Animal Handheld. That's a great little unit and would likely serve you best everywhere. Just my two cents.

:thumbup:

We were at 5 animals (now 4) I couldnt survive cleaning on any other vacuum. Had it for about 7 years now. I have taken it apart and cleaned it easily, and the filters are washable. Very happy with my purchase.

I was worried about spending this much on a vacuum but i can honestly say i have gotten my 500 worth. (i vacuum easily 3-5x a week having a dual coat dog who sheds all year, 24/7)

These.

We have a Dyson DC41 Animal and it's unreal how well it works. It cleans all different flooring great. We've had it for 2 yrs now with zero problems and we use it daily. Bought it new from SAMs Club

I've got a Shark Navigator...at first I got it as a "secondary" vacuum as it had hose attachments and my Oreck XL didn't. After the fire, I just pocketed the insurance payment for a new Oreck. The Navigator has actually been very good...if anything I find vacuuming a 2000sqft house makes me have to dump the bin a couple of times...

What are people's thoughts on a refurbished vacuum? $500 Dyson for $279 kinda deal...

I've got a Shark Navigator...at first I got it as a "secondary" vacuum as it had hose attachments and my Oreck XL didn't. After the fire, I just pocketed the insurance payment for a new Oreck. The Navigator has actually been very good...if anything I find vacuuming a 2000sqft house makes me have to dump the bin a couple of times...

What are people's thoughts on a refurbished vacuum? $500 Dyson for $279 kinda deal...

If its factory reconditioned ,then yes. Refurbished , sure as long as you can return it.

I bought a refurbished Dyson off Woot.com 3 or so years ago and it's been great since. No issues and the fiancé is very happy with it.

Really surprised at all the Dyson responses. I had a Dyson for 3 years and hated every second of it. The suction was terrible and the rolling ball always tripped over itself.

I will say, it was one of the smaller versions (DC35 maybe?) and it was extremely easy to clean, but I wouldn't pay that much again.

I have used the one Doc recommended (we borrowed it from a friend) and it worked really well, and at literally 25% of the Dyson price.

I personally do not think a Dyson is worth the money, but hey, maybe mine was fucked up.

Dyson DC65 Animal Complete. We had another Dyson before that for about 7 years and the carpet company asked to borrow to clean up after installing it and killed it somehow, so they bought us the latest comparable model, which is the DC65.

It's quite nice, gets all the animal hair up, easy to empty, detachable hose is a little 'fumbly' to use, but it works well for cleaning stairs w/ the attachment or for doing baseboards. I also like the pivot ball it has on it, so you can turn corners with it by just turning your wrist.

Unfortunately, I have heard some of the 'low end' models of the Dysons are not all that great, and you need to usually step-up to the Cadillac versions to get the better quality. Just my .02

Not to mention when Jones manscapes in the family room.....yup, you can't unsee that in your head now :gone:

Bastard....

Another for the dyson. Think of it this way, you use a vacuum 3 or more times a week i would guess, might as well spend the money on a good unit.

Had mine 3 years never a issue.