AudiOn19s For Sale again?

This is why I hate buying cars on craigslist. I try to be as honest and forthcoming with any issues when selling a car, most people just try to hide shit.

Yep, sometimes it takes a phone call or email to figure out what kind of seller you're dealing with, but usually you can just tell by the ad

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where he never titles it in his name after getting a notorized title from the first seller.....It goes from Seller one to buyer two with only one title change and the middle man doesn't pay taxes or show a sale on the BMV List....You do get a max per year unless you are a dealer.

I used to do this all the time.....Err.....In Mexico.

Where he never titles it in his name after getting a notorized title from the first seller.....It goes from Seller one to buyer two with only one title change and the middle man doesn't pay taxes or show a sale on the BMV List....You do get a max per year unless you are a dealer.

I used to do this all the time.....Err.....In Mexico.

I.E. the title was "Open" (Notarized without a purchasing party) ?. Thought the State was cracking down on that? Buddy of mine had his car stolen with an open title, got fucking hosed, then again he sort of deserved it for not putting it in his name asap (and leaving the title in the glove box...)

Where he never titles it in his name after getting a notorized title from the first seller.....It goes from Seller one to buyer two with only one title change and the middle man doesn't pay taxes or show a sale on the BMV List...

Im assuming you meant Seller one to buyer three?

Seller 1 sells to buyer 1

buyer 1 becomes seller 2

seller 2 sells to buyer 2

and yeah, the state is definitely cracking down.

Edit, NVM, get what you're saying (finally...durr)

Edited by acklac7

But as far as the State knows buyer #1 doesn't even exist, right?

Correct

If craigslist guy never titled it in his name, wouldn't he still have the title in Andy's name notarized with all the shit on the back filled out? How would craigslist guy sell it without the title in his name?

It's already been filled out by Andy, ready to go to the title office and get transferred. Except Buyer 1 never takes it to the title office. Maybe he pretends to be Andy, maybe he pretends like Andy is his father-in-law asking him to sell the car for him (to explain why everything's already filled out), whatever the explanation, Buyer #2 either doesn't know or doesn't care that he's not buying from the person listed on the title.

There's a lot of problems with this way of doing business. First and most clearly, if you have an issue, seller #2 (the title floater) is probably gone like a fart in the wind. They change their number and disappear with your money, and seller #1 is the only info you have, and he doesn't give a fuck about your issue. Also there's the issue of taxes, since if the state contacts seller #1 about how much he accepted for the car, then asks you how much you paid, the number will most likely be different.

Not to mention that seller #1 can't use his license plates until the title has been switched. This is, for me, the #1 reason to do business at a title office. Many states are starting to adopt laws to prevent floating titles, essentially saying that if you sell a car or buy a car you must do everything possible to ensure the title is switched IMMEDIATELY.

A colleague of mine at Chrysler corporate in Michigan (where they now have such a law) got screwed when he sold an old truck. The new owner never moved the title over, got into an accident and left the scene then ditched the truck. The truck had not been reported stolen, had not been insured since the sale, had not been registered, and all of this came back to my colleague. It didn't matter that he wasn't the driver, all signs pointed to him being the culpable party because he hadn't covered his ass.

This morning, I titled (finally!) my CTS-V and I had this thread in mind. It was almost 6 months since I bought it from P.O. in California.

I asked the clerk what repurcussions Franklin County or the State could take for me running this long without it titled to my name, and his comment was aside from traffic laws, there isn't a time limit or tracking method for the title process. Glad I didn't get pulled over in that timeframe.

I do find it odd that I could buy a car and take possession of a floating title (as I admittedly did after the P.O's credit union sent it over to me unendorsed) for an indeterminate amount of time...

If craigslist guy never titled it in his name, wouldn't he still have the title in Andy's name notarized with all the shit on the back filled out? How would craigslist guy sell it without the title in his name?

I bought a car from a New York dealer that floated the title this way.. I fully expected to have some issues, but the Ohio BMV processed it normally (with the Bill of Sale) without any problem.

It's already been filled out by Andy, ready to go to the title office and get transferred. Except Buyer 1 never takes it to the title office. Maybe he pretends to be Andy, maybe he pretends like Andy is his father-in-law asking him to sell the car for him (to explain why everything's already filled out), whatever the explanation, Buyer #2 either doesn't know or doesn't care that he's not buying from the person listed on the title.

Yes, but when Andy sold the car to buyer 1, I'm assuming buyer 1 put all his info right there listed under "buyer" on the title when they notarized it, correct? How can buyer 1 sell/transfer the car/title to buyer 2 when buyer 2 can't fill out his spot on the title? That space is already occupied by buyer 1, right?

Sorry if I'm not following, I didn't take my smart pills this morning

There's a lot of problems with this way of doing business. First and most clearly, if you have an issue, seller #2 (the title floater) is probably gone like a fart in the wind. They change their number and disappear with your money, and seller #1 is the only info you have, and he doesn't give a fuck about your issue. Also there's the issue of taxes, since if the state contacts seller #1 about how much he accepted for the car, then asks you how much you paid, the number will most likely be different.

Not to mention that seller #1 can't use his license plates until the title has been switched. This is, for me, the #1 reason to do business at a title office. Many states are starting to adopt laws to prevent floating titles, essentially saying that if you sell a car or buy a car you must do everything possible to ensure the title is switched IMMEDIATELY.

A colleague of mine at Chrysler corporate in Michigan (where they now have such a law) got screwed when he sold an old truck. The new owner never moved the title over, got into an accident and left the scene then ditched the truck. The truck had not been reported stolen, had not been insured since the sale, had not been registered, and all of this came back to my colleague. It didn't matter that he wasn't the driver, all signs pointed to him being the culpable party because he hadn't covered his ass.

As with my buddies case, he had his truck stolen with an (open/floated) title in the glovebox. The thief went and titled the car in his name the next day, and the day after that sold the truck to a lot.

Cops couldn't/wouldn't do shit. Thief said he bought the truck and that my buddy was just pulling a man in the middle act (as mentioned above). Only repercussions he had was to take the matter to civil court.

Yes, but when Andy sold the car to buyer 1, I'm assuming buyer 1 put all his info right there listed under "buyer" on the title when they notarized it, correct? How can buyer 1 sell/transfer the car/title to buyer 2 when buyer 2 can't fill out his spot on the title? That space is already occupied by buyer 1, right?

Sorry if I'm not following, I didn't take my smart pills this morning

The title gets notarized with just Andy's signature on it.

Buyer #1 doesn't put their info down (for any number of reasons - "I want to put it in my moms/brothers/sisters name" etc). From then on basically anybody can sign the title into their name and then take legal possession of the vehicle. Risky, risky shit (as my buddy unfortunately found out, the hard way)

The title gets notarized with just Andy's signature on it.

Buyer #1 doesn't put their info down (for any number of reasons - "I want to put it in my moms/brothers/sisters name" etc). From then on basically anybody can sign the title into their name and then take legal possession of the vehicle. Risky, risky shit (as my buddy unfortunately found out, the hard way)

Ohhh. Simple enough. Yeah I would never have my title notarized without the buyer signing it (isn't that illegal, notarizing a title without both signatures?)

Ohhh. Simple enough. Yeah I would never have my title notarized without the buyer signing it (isn't that illegal, notarizing a title without both signatures?)

Notary's aren't supposed to, but some will. Guess there is no law against it in Ohio?

Notary's aren't supposed to, but some will. Guess there is no law against it in Ohio?

Some do it but Iirc it is actually illegal. Also iirc the only penalty for waiting longer than 30 days after the title has been notarized is paying a extra $20 fee

Clay this morning, upon reading this thread:

:zoom:

Been meaning to do this for awhile, but I had to mail the title back to the P.O. a couple of weeks ago to get his signature. I'm thankful he's been so great to deal with. Plus, I tried to get to the Clerk of Courts title office on Saturday morning after CC&C and the office was closed because of Level 1 snow emergency???

Texting. My first impressions of him: he's white trash or dumb. Probably races clapped out turbo crx's and works fast food. Nothing fruitful has come yet, he thinks I am a scammer.

His initial impressions are spot-on. ;)

Texting. My first impressions of him: he's white trash or dumb. Probably races clapped out turbo crx's and works fast food. Nothing fruitful has come yet, he thinks I am a scammer.

DEAREST SIR,

PLEASE BE ASSURED THIS IS NO SCAM. I AM MAILING TO IN ORDER TO VERIFY THE READINESS OF THIS CAR TO BE PURCHASED. I AM OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES, AN EMISSARY OF THE GREAT STATE OF MAURITANIA, MY AGENT WILL BE COMMUNICATING WITH YOU IN ORDER TO TRANSMIT THE ENTIRE PRICE OF PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE OF INTEREST.

REGARDS,

PRINCE IDI AMIN (Not that one, totally a different one)