1995 BMW 318i convertible - $500

zeitgeist57

For sale is "Buzzbomb", my 1995 BMW 318i Cabriolet. For full disclosure - as well as all the details - I've listed my purchase thread. There are a lot of unique features about this that truly make it a one-of-a-kind E36 cabriolet. PERFECT for summer cruising...this thing is a honey on the highway, or squirting around town. Taken once to the dragstrip (18.2 @ 78mph twice! :lol:) and Ackerman autoX (where it came within a couple seconds of my CTS-V:fuckyeah:)

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112407

http://i.imgur.com/5y8lPxv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2nD2l8U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1ThC4hX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Dt8ku5B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/slioL3K.jpg

Looking to get $500 firm, or I'll be happy to keep it. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by zeitgeist57

Sorry! Good call:

- Apexcone stainless-steel cat-back exhaust from DDM Tuning

- Full front suspension rebuild using ECS Tuning/RockAuto parts:

Upper/Lower balljoints

Powerflex "lollipop" bushings

inner/outer tie-rod ends

aligned by Cody @ TireDiscounters on E. Broad

-Cold-Air intake

-Ignition refresh using Bosch 8mm wires and OEM plugs

Few pending issues:

1) Known-issue crack in factory stainless-steel 4-2-1 exhaust header at 2-into-1 collector under the car. I'm going to reweld it now that it's warmer.

2) Paint is in great shape, but numerous scratches/dings from being a 1995 driver.

3) 5 small chips in windshield. Safelite quoted $175 for all 5 repaired, or $225 for whole new windshield.

4) Shifter is pretty sloppy. I have an E36 M3 shifter from Ben (Okami) and a custom kit put together by ECS Tuning of all the bushings/clips to make an M3 shifter work on a 318.

5) Top is in excellent shape. Only one small repaired tear (was there when I bought it). In 2 years of 3-season driving it's never been a problem. Rear plastic screen could be a little clearer...

• 2 weeks later...
I also have driven this car. And I am the reason it came in "3/10's" of a second slower than the ctsv. If I had no wife and the asking price this car would be in my garage. Glws buddy!

• 11 months later...

Guys, bringing this up to see if anyone is interested. $5500 is a CR price, and I will not go down any further. Miles are now at 126k and will go up, but not by much.

Since last year:

The GOOD

- All new brakes - rotors, ceramic pads, ATE 200 brake fluid

- New rear wheel bearings

- Repaired exhaust

- I have the passenger-side top-mechanism cover...not installed. (if you look at the interior pic above, you'll see on the hard tonneau cover there is a drivers' side cover by the hinge but the passengers' side is open. This is the cover I'm talking about. A guy in Cincy on Ohio BMW FB page sold me the pieces.

The BAD (but made good :))

- I did overfill the coolant system last May, overheated the engine, and cracked the aluminum head. Found a good used head, NAPA totally rebuilt it with a 3-angle valve job, all new brass valve guides, and top end was totally rebuilt with new gaskets. Small oil leak on the front cover, but can be fixed. Runs very strong.

- Rear window has a crack. $130 on eBay for a new clear (or smoked) plastic window.

ONLY REASON I'm looking to sell it:

- With the 1978 Lincoln I didn't expect to buy this past November, I've embraced my inner-homie, 90s-rap-loving-inner child. I'm going to drop it on airbags this summer, and generally freshen it up while cruising.

- I'm also buying a 2003 Civic EX from a friend for a cheap price, and I'll use that as my 4-cyl gas-sipping highway DD for work trips around Ohio.

EDIT: Updates above. Also should mention that this thing is garaged 24/7 next to my CTS-V. If I take it to work, it sits in the Columbus Commons garage all day. The most sun it's seen in the past year is at CC&C.

Edited by zeitgeist57

So I will add my name to the long list of people who have graced the front seat, and it was an absolute pleasure to drive the car.

what I will add to this is that there are a lot of people who look at 4cyl bmws like they have the clap or something. However, the E36 318 is one of the few cars in the BMW lineup that has actual true 50/50 weight distribution. The closest relative to the E36 318 with 50/50 weight distribution is the E30 M3. With a few upgrades it is really easy to replicate the E30 m3 driving experience with an E36 318 (and yes they made E30 M3 convertibles - they just didn't bring any to the US).

In reference to clays car, after spending a few days in it, it is so good as a car that it had me thinking about trying to find another 4cyl beemer as a project car. It's that good, that fact that it looks the business doesn't hurt either.

Comparing an E30 M3 to an E36 vert? If it was anyone else I would be surprised...

Well there is a lot more that does go into an E30 M3 than most other cars, but really are they that far apart? I mean I was driving an E46 yesterday and the one thing I kept thinking was how similar the dash and controls feel was to my old E30 325i.

I've driven an E30 M3 convertible. A neighbor of my parents had a gray market one. they aren't "fast" cars in the modern sense of the word but the thing that stands out most is the balance. Driving my e30 325 vert right after it stood out how nose heavy the car was even though it is closer to 60/40. Driving Clay's e36 it reminded me of that e30 m3, and my old '76 2002, and my uncle's 1979 320i. Does it have the raw-ness of an E30 M3? no but that balance is the sweet spot and the running theme for all of them.

Does that make it more clear for you? I know the E30 m3 has this big "legend" around it that it is some sort of magical sports car milestone but I remember when they were just weird boxy old slow sports cars that nobody wanted in the 1990's - they were better than a lot of cars but I feel like a lot of E30 M3 legend is people waxing poetic.

point is, Clay's little 318i vert is a great car and anyone selling it short for missing 2 cyls is missing out.

Agree on Clay's car - looks beautiful and the M42 is a great motor. Many people prefer them to their 6 cylindered cousins for the redline alone.

Other than that I do not agree with you. I have not driven an E30 M3 vert as there were 750 or so made and none for the US as you mentioned, but the consensus is that E30 convertibles are awful. A lot of improvements were made for the vert E36, but if you have only driven a E30 M3 vert I do not think you have a fair judgement of an E30 M3. As for the power problem, thats nothing an LS can't fix.

Other than that I do not agree with you. I have not driven an E30 M3 vert as there were 750 or so made and none for the US as you mentioned, but the consensus is that E30 convertibles are awful.

I can personally attest they are pretty awful as compared to their hardtop brothers. As far as convertibles go they are better than most of that era. Once I stopped thinking of it as a performance car and started thinking of it as a "vintage roadster" it got a little easier to live with. They are super tail happy, and my car had a 4.11 LSD rear from the factory which made it way better, and I realize most did not.

A lot of improvements were made for the vert E36, but if you have only driven a E30 M3 vert I do not think you have a fair judgement of an E30 M3. As for the power problem, thats nothing an LS can't fix.

A friend of mine in NY had a 1989 M3 that I drove a couple of times. It was a gutted car with a small cage in it so not really a "fair" comparison either. It was an intense car. I have ridden in a stock one but not driven, didn't find it overwhelmingly comfortable. I am usually a big fan of LS swapped bmws, but for some reason not a huge fan of when people do it to an E30 m3 due to the car being special. But then again I like the E36 318ti so my opinion means nothing and I am a pariah in the bmw world.

I met a 25+ year BMW car salesman one day and immediately had one question for him. What was the hardest car you ever had to sell. 318ti

E30 M3s have gotten crazy in price. For the average Joe that can't afford 10 sports cars who doesn't want to deal with the chance of a blown motor that will cost you $10k+? LS it - double the power - and have actual reliability. Win Win Win.

I met a 25+ year BMW car salesman one day and immediately had one question for him. What was the hardest car you ever had to sell. 318ti

Yeah as new cars they were glued to the showroom floor. As used cheap "fun" toys, the best condition ones are maybe $4K.

When people ask me whats the best E30 to buy as a toy I usually tell them the E36 318ti with factory LSD (first year only, they went to electronic limited slip for the rest of production). Why? Think about it - it has all the mods e30 guys typically do to these cars: 5 lug, e36 rack, etc..., the dash is even half parts bin e30, it has a 51.4/48.6 weight distribution, It's half the price or less than a comparable E30 318is, and parts are cheap and plentiful and has great aftermarket support because you can scavenge the E30, E36, and Z3 parts bins (and E34 for wheels). It just doesn't look like an e30.

E30 M3s have gotten crazy in price. For the average Joe that can't afford 10 sports cars who doesn't want to deal with the chance of a blown motor that will cost you $10k+? LS it - double the power - and have actual reliability. Win Win Win.

I can't argue with it as long as it is being used as a car. When they started selling past $20K they became "investments". Once it is hacked it is hacked, and a lot of those M3s got hacked to shit. It sucks that sometimes people get priced out of thing, but hey that's how the world works. Sometimes it is just the signal to move on and find something else. Can't afford an E30 M3? there are plenty of cheap ferrari mondial coupes waiting to be turned into hot rod rally cars for $15K.

or you could own clay's super rare, super nice 4 cyl bmw convertible, which is a lot of fun :D

:popcorn: Who wants to split the cost of some beer? Show is underway....

It's just a friendly chat, no need to stir the pot.

I don't dislike 318tis as much as most, but it is definitely not the performance that is keeping people away.

Try again on E30M3 pricing. Original motor cars are getting $45+ and S52 swapped cars are getting 35+ if they are straight and half way decent.

Look at what this abortion brought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-BMW-M3-/201546477449?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2eed1b2f89%3Ag%3AeFYAAOSwu1VW8IcF&item=201546477449&nma=true&si=gd1tZaXhtsBvKyZUeTByO%252B95gHY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And agreed - friendly chat.

I was waiting to read.."baseball been beddy beddy good to me"...lol

I don't dislike 318tis as much as most, but it is definitely not the performance that is keeping people away.

Try again on E30M3 pricing. Original motor cars are getting $45+ and S52 swapped cars are getting 35+ if they are straight and half way decent.

Look at what this abortion brought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-BMW-M3-/201546477449?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2eed1b2f89%3Ag%3AeFYAAOSwu1VW8IcF&item=201546477449&nma=true&si=gd1tZaXhtsBvKyZUeTByO%252B95gHY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And agreed - friendly chat.

• 6 months later...

Bump to gauge interest...I've now got 130k-131k miles on it (barely put 5k miles on it so far since March):

NEEDS:

- Sticking RF brake caliper. I have new SS brake lines for the fronts and will get around to checking to see if the calipers are the culprit or brake lines. Regardless, the SS lines are going in.

- Crack in 2-1 collector on the exhaust intermediary pipe going from the header to the cat (common issue). I welded it closed a while back, but it sounds like it's opened up again. Exhaust is already loud, just a bit noisier than normal.

GOOD:

- New rear sway bar end links.

Dropping to $500...advertised on CR only. Again, love this car and happy to keep driving it/fixing it, but everything has a price. Just curious if someone's intadested. :)

Edited by zeitgeist57