Black top vs concrete driveway

Forrest Gump 9

I prefer asphalt, ice and snow melts quick in the winter, can throw salt on it if need be. It does need sealed every couple years and crack repair is easy. if it's a thicker asphalt job you won't have the issues a cheaper job done ( ex a lot of MI, Dominion etc developments).

Concrete does look nice and I like that a BB doesn't get dirty on it like asphalt, not that it's a huge deal. One thing about concrete is it's gonna crack eventually no matter how good of job it is. It's the nature of it, it dries out and shrinks and cracks. It doesn't help you at all in the winter months, no melting of ice or snow to the likes of asphalt and salt is a huge no no.

You can still salt concrete you just can't use cheap salt on concrete aka bulk/rock etc.

Personally I think it depends on what you want out of this house? Also what's the neighborhood like? When I lived in dublin 95% of the neighborhood was concrete, in grove city 70% of my area is black top. Concrete will have less maintenance, more cost and a longer life. So alot of it is in what you want to spend and what you want/can get out of it later

I have black top now. For the last few weeks, I have had 70,000lbs trucks dropping dirt at my house. The black top was already patched and cracked pretty bad. Now, it's all jacked up. I don't see where I would have heavy equipment coming to the house in the future, but now I question what would have held to. Concrete cracks and will cost me $10K for a 250'+ driveway. I'm not sure how long the OP driveway is, but take that cost into consideration. Edited by Mojoe

• 3 weeks later...

go concrete. Had a 28'x18' Blacktop ripped up and replaced last summer for $2,700. Blacktop quotes were coming in at $1500.

you're call. I'm glad I went concrete.

Before:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/before_zpsduqzev9u.jpg

After:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/after_zpspig4q2vo.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/AFter%202_zpsgvx31muk.jpg

Do you need to seal concrete driveways? I just had a new house built with a concrete drive

Yes. For the first two years at least. Cost me $150 for the product and it's enough to do my driveway twice easily. Wait as long as you can. I had our drive done in June and applied the sealer in late Oct. right before winter.

Tim, that's not a driveway...it's a parking pad. ;)

Talk to me when the driveway is over 100ft...$10-14k. :eek::eek:

Typical 1980's size drive in this area. I don't parking cars on it. I'm a garage guy. Once I sell the MS3 I'll be back to a 2 car family. New house will definitely have a 3 bay garage.

I bet my guy would do your drive for $5-7k. Mine came to $5.35 per sq. ft. all in. Remember yours is only 10ft wide, mine is 18' wide. So you have about double the material and labor but that's still not that much. PM me for details. You're a fellow sales guy. Negotiate as a referral and get Joe to do his long ass driveway. That's two big jobs that this guy could knock out in a few days.

Side plug......the landscape wall goes all the way around 3 sides of the house and was done by certain CR Native with an '09 Cyber Gray Z06 :)

Edited by TTQ B4U

what kind of base and prep is needed done for them? Is it the same? cut the sod out, put down gravel and pour?

I mean if you want a cracked driveway then yeah :).

Get dirt down to level then tamp it, get some 57 stone and tamp it, get some road mesh setup. Then you can pour.

• 1 month later...