nfa firearms question

Shawn89

Just interested to see if anyone here has gotten "CLEO" in Franklin county to sign off on an atf 4 form for a short barrel rifle. I'm wanting to build a short barrel and I'm not sure if I want to go that way or do a gun trust. Any advice?

Trust all the way. I used quicken, as did my old roommate and thousands of others. You can get a used copy of the version needed for less than 10 dollars on Ebay. Bob sent me version of his "Gun Trust" too.

Silencershop also has a gun trust they sell for just over 100 I believe.

CLEO in Franklin won't sign off on it.

You could also do an LLC but the information is then public and more money is involved to get it started vs Quicken. I don't know if you need to pay annually in OH or not for the LLC.

I'm sure someone has. However, I'm more inclined to believe that 99% get shot down. Most people I know, go with a trust or have a LLC. Bob has gotten pretty involved with this over the last few years, I'm sure he can add details. Edited by Mojoe

PM Diamonds (Bob) and talk to him and see if he can help you out with the trust/ info.

Another route is http://www.silencershop.com/services/nfa-gun-trust.html. They do a lot of suppressor sales and I'm sure they offer a good trust that will leave you worry free. It's only 130 on their site which is a lot less than I got quoted two years ago when I was looking to get one from multiple sources. If you're worried about a Quicken trust not being sufficient this is the route I would take.

Just interested to see if anyone here has gotten "CLEO" in Franklin county to sign off on an atf 4 form for a short barrel rifle. I'm wanting to build a short barrel and I'm not sure if I want to go that way or do a gun trust. Any advice?

I know the Gahanna Chief of police will sign off on NFA items, but you have to live in Gahanna. Sheriff Scott will not sign off on NFA items, well he knows you personally, he probably will. There is no way in hell you can get CPD Chief to sign off on any NFA items. Why not just LLC that shit.

You could also do an LLC but the information is then public and more money is involved to get it started vs Quicken. I don't know if you need to pay annually in OH or not for the LLC.

No you do not need to pay for it annually. There is only a one time fee. But your taxes could get a little complicated, but I am not sure.

As of March, CLEOs are legally obligated to sign off on them. Well, at least for suppressors. Print out the law and hand it to them if you want to go the individual route.

Didn't hear about this.

What are the pros and cons to going this route vs a trust if you already one.

Didn't hear about this.

What are the pros and cons to going this route vs a trust if you already one.

The law:

http://archives.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=130_HB_234

In a nutshell:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20141219/ohio-comprehensive-pro-gun-reform-legislation-signed-into-law-today

Includes a “shall certify” provision which requires a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) to sign off on an application to transfer an item regulated by the National Firearms Act, once the application procedure and requirements are met. This provision eliminates personal bias towards NFA-related items, requiring CLEOs to sign off and process the application in the same way they do a concealed handgun license.

This was a law?

Repeals the prohibition on Ohio citizens buying and/or selling long guns or ammunition from only the five contiguous states of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Citizens of Ohio can now purchase and/or sell rifles and shotguns in any state as long as the firearm laws in both states are obeyed.

For a trust do o need to have a lower for the #s before I set it up?

No. When you first create the trust you are setting up a legally binding document that shows who created it (Settlor), Trustee (yourself, and anyone else you want to have access to the NFA items), and the beneficiary (person who inherits property upon execution of the trust). Everyone listed on the trust is able to possess the property in the trust as if its their own. It's usually best to stick with family members for this stuff, like if you have children list them as beneficiaries.

In order for the trust to be valid it needs to be signed in front of a notary. There is a lot of disagreement over whether or not a trust actually has to have property to be valid. On the original list of property (this has different names depending on setup) I put the serial number of a two dollar bill and stuck it in a folder with all the paperwork. I'll never add anything directly to that page, instead I'll add amendment pages to include new stuff. When submitting my trust to the ATF for new items I won't have to include those amendments, just the original page. Do not add NFA items to your trust until they've been cleared by the ATF.

I got my trust on sale from this place:

http://199trust.com/buy/

Right now they are selling it for $80. I'm pretty sure Diamonds got his from the same place. I'm content with mine.

Since you are wanting to do an SBR you'll want to efile a Form 1, which requires a trust to do. This route is MUCH faster than as an individual, or sending in your trust through the mail. Like 2 months (currently, but climbing fast) versus 6 or more. This is the point where you'll need the serial number of your lower.

Keep in mind you'll need to get your info engraved on the lower. I used this place:

http://www.veritasmachiningllc.com/#!nfaweapons/c1pl3

and had it engraved on the bottom of the mag well. Very happy with the work, and it was under $50 including return shipping. Gun Envy does engraving as well but they have limitations as to where they can engrave.

Don't forget, I'm not a lawyer and I'm not giving legal advice. Just suggestions following my own personal experience.

No. When you first create the trust you are setting up a legally binding document that shows who created it (Settlor), Trustee (yourself, and anyone else you want to have access to the NFA items), and the beneficiary (person who inherits property upon execution of the trust). Everyone listed on the trust is able to possess the property in the trust as if its their own. It's usually best to stick with family members for this stuff, like if you have children list them as beneficiaries.

In order for the trust to be valid it needs to be signed in front of a notary. There is a lot of disagreement over whether or not a trust actually has to have property to be valid. On the original list of property (this has different names depending on setup) I put the serial number of a two dollar bill and stuck it in a folder with all the paperwork. I'll never add anything directly to that page, instead I'll add amendment pages to include new stuff. When submitting my trust to the ATF for new items I won't have to include those amendments, just the original page. Do not add NFA items to your trust until they've been cleared by the ATF.

I got my trust on sale from this place:

http://199trust.com/buy/

Right now they are selling it for $80. I'm pretty sure Diamonds got his from the same place. I'm content with mine.

Since you are wanting to do an SBR you'll want to efile a Form 1, which requires a trust to do. This route is MUCH faster than as an individual, or sending in your trust through the mail. Like 2 months (currently, but climbing fast) versus 6 or more. This is the point where you'll need the serial number of your lower.

Keep in mind you'll need to get your info engraved on the lower. I used this place:

http://www.veritasmachiningllc.com/#!nfaweapons/c1pl3

and had it engraved on the bottom of the mag well. Very happy with the work, and it was under $50 including return shipping. Gun Envy does engraving as well but they have limitations as to where they can engrave.

Don't forget, I'm not a lawyer and I'm not giving legal advice. Just suggestions following my own personal experience.

I started a trust threw there. Now just waiting on the papers to be emailed.

Now what about letting other people that are not on the trust shoot the SBR?

So long as you are present it's fine. You can't leave nfa stuff at a friend's house that isn't on the trust unless it is inaccessible to them, like locked in a safe that you have the only key for.