Cars you wouldn't think cost 10-15k

C-Mart

My CTS-V should be sold tomorrow. I didn't hate it, but I was not as impressed as most are with the car. It was quicker than most, but not fast and honestly the wheel hop did me in.

I want to pick up something in the 10-15k range. Must haves 4 doors, AWD, <80k miles and get 20+ MPG.

I am currently looking at 04/05 & 06/07 A8s. The 04/05 can be found for $9000 which is a ridiculous value in my opinion. The 06/07 have the facelift front ends and are in the 16,000 range. I don't think its worth $7000 to have a different bumper so I am leaning towards the 04/05.

My question is what else is out there that has dropped like crazy in price? I like the A8 because that 4.2 is in everything. I know Cayannes have dropped like crazy and I should probably look into those as well. I can swing 25 if I need to, but it will be hard to justify since A8s are so cheap.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very good reason why old german cars are mostly worthless. It's called maintenance. While the aftermarket offers lower cost fixes and retrofits for common failures, in large part it costs as much to maintain as a $10k used car as it did when it was $$$ new.

Have you ever looked at luxury british cars?

My BMW will be faster than my CTS-V, which is part of the reason I am selling it.

Also worth noting I am not looking to get killed when I sell it in 2-3 years and put 30-50k on it. That is why I was leaning towards that old german stuff. 90% of the depreciation is out of the way.

Ebay, Craigslist, forums. Ended up selling from Craigslist.

I had a lot of national interest from Ebay, mostly from the south where its already warm. It is still pretty cold in Wisconsin so that limited the number of people looking for a fun car.

90% of that depreciation is not out of the way - Go look at A8s older than 04. $2500 get you the best example of German luxury from the 1990s-early 2000s.

When it comes to the A8 drive train - yeah ok it may be rock solid (check those timing chains on the 4.2) but when it comes to electronics the thing is like the starship enterprise. My father's friend has bought a new A8 every 5 years and I can tell you at the end of each term maybe half of the cool electronic "features" actually worked. He bought extended warranties each time too.

Despite the fact that I own an audi that is out of warranty I don't think I would own anything as complex as an Audi A8 out of warranty.

As far as what's $10K that is fast and fun and 4 doors? Well CTS-V is out since you had one and so is the G8 GT because its almost the same car. Audi a8 is not fast in the slightest but might be fun. Maybe a BMW 545i or 550i? again not fast but kinda quick and you can't even touch an e39 M5 for your budget. If you could find an S4 that has had it's timing chain done (or if you are willing to do the engine out timing chain replacement) that actually might be fun and is cheap enough - the timing chain fear is what keeps people away. If you are not familar the S4 has the 4.2L v8 mounted in such a way that the chain is up against the firewall and the engine has to be dropped out of the car in order to replace the guides. Although this is an issue with all 4.2L, it is only on the S4 where the engine has to come out because of tight packaging.

You could go buy a VW phaeton. Not fast in the slightest but it is the basis for the current bently and it also uses the BBK 4.2L v8.

I am not looking for fast and fun. I am looking for something you don't see everyday. I refuse to drive an accord, jetta, altima, etc.

The British things actually intrigues me. I've always loved RR sports, but I doubt they get 20 MPG. It would be funny having two totally different cars with the same motor though (that and my E30).

I guess this is why I keep coming back to the A8. I just don't think you can beat it for $9000.

90% of that depreciation is not out of the way - Go look at A8s older than 04. $2500 get you the best example of German luxury from the 1990s-early 2000s.

When it comes to the A8 drive train - yeah ok it may be rock solid (check those timing chains on the 4.2) but when it comes to electronics the thing is like the starship enterprise. My father's friend has bought a new A8 every 5 years and I can tell you at the end of each term maybe half of the cool electronic "features" actually worked. He bought extended warranties each time too.

Despite the fact that I own an audi that is out of warranty I don't think I would own anything as complex as an Audi A8 out of warranty.

As far as what's $10K that is fast and fun and 4 doors? Well CTS-V is out since you had one and so is the G8 GT because its almost the same car. Audi a8 is not fast in the slightest but might be fun. Maybe a BMW 545i or 550i? again not fast but kinda quick and you can't even touch an e39 M5 for your budget. If you could find an S4 that has had it's timing chain done (or if you are willing to do the engine out timing chain replacement) that actually might be fun and is cheap enough - the timing chain fear is what keeps people away. If you are not familar the S4 has the 4.2L v8 mounted in such a way that the chain is up against the firewall and the engine has to be dropped out of the car in order to replace the guides. Although this is an issue with all 4.2L, it is only on the S4 where the engine has to come out because of tight packaging.

You could go buy a VW phaeton. Not fast in the slightest but it is the basis for the current bently and it also uses the BBK 4.2L v8.

You like to post a lot when posting. Probably so you can read it over and over to yourself for some fucked up reason.

Is there any way to give us a short version of your thoughts?

• Upvote 1

I am not looking for fast and fun. I am looking for something you don't see everyday. I refuse to drive an accord, jetta, altima, etc.

The British things actually intrigues me. I've always loved RR sports, but I doubt they get 20 MPG. It would be funny having two totally different cars with the same motor though (that and my E30).

I guess this is why I keep coming back to the A8. I just don't think you can beat it for $9000.

Have you done an research on other forums about the maintenance on the exact car you want. Shit, I'd buy an A8 for 9 stacks if it was worth it. Especially an A8L, it's think it's a little longer or some shit

Yes, I have done research on the A8/A8Ls that I mentioned. Spoke with an friend who is an Audi mechanic and he gave me the thumbs up that they are good cars.

I couldn't think of anything other than that so I wanted to see if anyone had other ideas I could vet/stack up against the A8.

Also, about the older A8s going for 2500 you are 100% correct. The interiors and body lines on those are garbage. The ones I mentioned actually are winning the test of time in my opinion.

Also worth noting the RR and Cayenne intrigued me because that could replace my dd and truck if I bought a trailer to go along with it. That would likely raise how much I am willing to spend.

You like to post a lot when posting. Probably so you can read it over and over to yourself for some fucked up reason.

Is there any way to give us a short version of your thoughts?

I like to write and I type really fast. I am also old (ok not really) and have this neat thing called an attention span - might want to look into it because mine is awesome.

TLDR: I rock because I have a lot to say. Also since I am feeling nice: everything at $10-15K is going to be boring, problem laden, or old. Except maybe a Vw Phaeton.

I am looking for something you don't see everyday.

Drive something old then. Even something as pedestrian as a 1960's mustang that used to be everywhere is a rare site in modern traffic:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4874086655.html

Do you want something that is actually rare? or do you want something that is rare and car guys will lose their shit over when they see it? I mean I can't remember the last time I saw a dodge K car but I am not exactly about to empty my balls in delight if one drove down my street. But I saw hundreds of 60's camaros and mustangs growing up and ya know what, If I saw one in today's everyday traffic I'd probably do immoral and semi-illegal (at least in the state of Ohio) things to myself in delight.

Again the answer seems to be VW phaeton. Sleeper enough to be unnoticed by the non-car plebeians but car guys would still say "huh, a phaeton. There's something you don't see everyday".

You know what I've always liked were the 02-04 Infiniti M45 Sports.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/cakedaddy05/Side.jpg

They didn't sell a lot of them here, they were a stop-gap product for Infiniti during one of their many product transitions, some hastily rebadged JDM Nissan with the V8 tossed in. The proportions are quite stunning for a big car, you never see them, and you get Nissan reliability instead of, you know...

It ticks all of your boxes (except AWD) and you won't feel like punching yourself in the dick when some $1800 electronics module fries out.

My BMW will be faster than my CTS-V, which is part of the reason I am selling it.

Also worth noting I am not looking to get killed when I sell it in 2-3 years and put 30-50k on it. That is why I was leaning towards that old german stuff. 90% of the depreciation is out of the way.

Completely disregarded my post. Eyes on you, pimp. Eyes on you...

I have always liked M45s as well, but really need AWD.

As far as something older I drive clients around weekly at least so I need it to be newer.

Don't need it to be crazy rare, just not something so common I see 4 of on the way to work every morning.

I like to write and I type really fast. I am also old (ok not really) and have this neat thing called an attention span - might want to look into it because mine is awesome.

TLDR: I rock because I have a lot to say. Also since I am feeling nice: everything at $10-15K is going to be boring, problem laden, or old. Except maybe a Vw Phaeton.

WTF is an attention span? Are they expensive? I am old and I've never had one. I'm really fucking up...