Cars you wouldn't think cost 10-15k

C-Mart

What kind of gas mileage does the A8 get? Everywhere I read about the b6 and b7 S4's with the 4.2 v8 they generally don't get any better than 12-14 mpg (unless if they get better gas mileage if you drive like a grandma).

... and you can't even touch an e39 M5 for your budget...

Yes you can.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My CTS-V should be sold tomorrow. I didn't hate it, but I was not as impressed as most are with the car. It was quicker than most, but not fast and honestly the wheel hop did me in.

I want to pick up something in the 10-15k range. Must haves 4 doors, AWD, <80k miles and get 20+ MPG.

I am currently looking at 04/05 & 06/07 A8s. The 04/05 can be found for $9000 which is a ridiculous value in my opinion. The 06/07 have the facelift front ends and are in the 16,000 range. I don't think its worth $7000 to have a different bumper so I am leaning towards the 04/05.

My question is what else is out there that has dropped like crazy in price? I like the A8 because that 4.2 is in everything. I know Cayannes have dropped like crazy and I should probably look into those as well. I can swing 25 if I need to, but it will be hard to justify since A8s are so cheap.

There is a very good reason why old german cars are mostly worthless. It's called maintenance. While the aftermarket offers lower cost fixes and retrofits for common failures, in large part it costs as much to maintain as a $10k used car as it did when it was $$$ new.

Have you ever looked at luxury british cars?

What rymer said. What people like you fail to realize is it is still an $80,000 car. Just a little more clapped out and worn with 100k+ on it. A single coil pack (which is going to go out...) is gonna set you back $109+

What rymer said. What people like you fail to realize is it is still an $80,000 car. Just a little more clapped out and worn with 100k+ on it. A single coil pack (which is going to go out...) is gonna set you back $109+

http://www.europaparts.com/ignition-coil-pack-077905115t.html

Just to share my experience. My 04 S4 treated me very well. Had well over 100K on it when I sold it and all of the electrics worked. Daily driven all year round. Never broke down and I probably put a total of $3,000 into it over 6 years. Most of that was tires, brakes & rotors.

Tons of B5 S4's out there with over 200K on them. I think the maintenance / reliability issues are over hyped...

Shmaa - B7 A4s are in my budget. I just don't know if I like the interior enough compared to the A8.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Audi-S4-Sedan-4-Door-4-2L-V8-6MT-Sprint-Blue-Low-Mile-One-Owner-CA-Car-/191545033523?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c98f94333&item=191545033523&nma=true&si=do%252Fd%252BzwhooJ73uxPXYuzKXdxf%252Bo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

They can be hand for cheap and with probably half of the miles I would be comparing the A8 to.

Mr Gump - I believe it is the presence I like as well.

If I went the B7 S4 route could I really expect 20 MPG?

335 would be fun. They seem a little small to me. And knowing myself I would start by JB4ing and it would all go downhill from there.

Shmaa - B7 A4s are in my budget. I just don't know if I like the interior enough compared to the A8.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Audi-S4-Sedan-4-Door-4-2L-V8-6MT-Sprint-Blue-Low-Mile-One-Owner-CA-Car-/191545033523?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c98f94333&item=191545033523&nma=true&si=do%252Fd%252BzwhooJ73uxPXYuzKXdxf%252Bo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

They can be hand for cheap and with probably half of the miles I would be comparing the A8 to.

Mr Gump - I believe it is the presence I like as well.

If I went the B7 S4 route could I really expect 20 MPG?

335 would be fun. They seem a little small to me. And knowing myself I would start by JB4ing and it would all go downhill from there.

Yes you can get 20mog from a s4 and a simple apr tune gets you more power and better fuel economy's swell if you an keep your foot out of it

http://www.europaparts.com/ignition-coil-pack-077905115t.html

Just to share my experience. My 04 S4 treated me very well. Had well over 100K on it when I sold it and all of the electrics worked. Daily driven all year round. Never broke down and I probably put a total of $3,000 into it over 6 years. Most of that was tires, brakes & rotors.

Tons of B5 S4's out there with over 200K on them. I think the maintenance / reliability issues are over hyped...

You forgot to mention the AC that quit working. lol

B6 S4 was the worst Audi I've ever owned. Don't buy one used. Most are in the mileage that need timing chains done. You have to pull the motor to do them and parts are $2k+. That's why they are so damn cheap.

Any difference in the B7?

Same motor. FYI, they were just as fast around a track as an e46M3 according to car mags, but back seats are pretty tight for big guys to feel important in.

If you're going to be hauling business people in the back seats, stick with a bigger car than an A4/3-series size.

This topic is an eye-opener for me. I see a LOT of these A8's around UA and still think (even in my car mind) that this is an expensive car. To think that these are cheaper than what I paid for my '07 V is a little sickening. :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A8-A8L-/181701346302?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a4e3e83fe&item=181701346302

I'm also a bit of an AWD LOL guy, but at this price range, you are getting a HELL of a lot of car for the money. If you're shuttling around clients, the A8L's rear legroom will definitely impress.

With my Passat experience, I wouldn't hesitate to get an automatic VAG big-body sedan as I get older. Plus, with some upgraded rolling stock they look the absolute business. Good thing I'll be in the market for something like that in the next 15 years, when the 2015 S7's are hopefully dirty cheap!:thumbup:

That is no doubt a clean car, but I have seen the facelift care (06-07) go for around that price with the same miles. At that point I would rather spend the extra cash to have the newer looking car, a few extra options, and for resale.

I missed out on a 1 owner 05 with 95k miles for 8500 local to me because I as out of town. Still kicking myself for that one, but trying to be patient.

Because of this thread I have opened my search to B7 S4s as well and am starting to look at some of the mid/late 2000s 7 series, but for some reason I have the perception they are higher maintenance than the A8 :confused:

I didn't mind the V legroom. I sold the V because of the rear end design flaw that was only solved by a $4000 fix.

The B6 and B7 have the same motor. The B8 got the new motor and is more than I want to spend.

I like the option of the stick in the B7 S4, but I love the interior and space in the A8.

I did see a E90 4 door M3 the other day that turned my head, but I have heard horror stories about that V8.

I'd take a B8 A4 over a B7 S4...which I did. B8 is just such a better chassis, and the MPG's are really nice in the 2.0T. They have more legroom too.

I'd buy an older A8 in a heartbeat. I was back and forth between keeping my Land Rover or getting an A8. MPG and newer ended up making me decide on the A4.

You forgot to mention the AC that quit working. lol

B6 S4 was the worst Audi I've ever owned. Don't buy one used. Most are in the mileage that need timing chains done. You have to pull the motor to do them and parts are $2k+. That's why they are so damn cheap.

The AC did take a dump, but in the grand scheme the car was cheap to own. I wouldn't buy a high mileage B6 though unless the chains and cam adjusters were done.

Any difference in the B7?

I thought they fixed the chain guide issue on the B7's. still a 4.2. Should get 20mpg easily