Cabin filter for your car

Mojoe

Do you replace your cabin filter?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you replace your cabin filter?

Who actually replaces their cabin filters for the inside of the car? I have never done it on any car I've had. I did it today on the Subie, and was very surprised by how dirty the filter was. It's recommended every 10,000 miles, I'm currently at 16,xxx. It looked like there were marks from it being replaced once already. Making me think, I should have done this with other cars in the past.

Thoughts?

Edited by Mojoe

I am big on replacing cabin air filters as I am kind of obsessive about keeping my daily driver exquisitely clean inside and out (I like it to look like it could be on a show room floor). I have had great experience buying one of these bad boys and cutting it, it costs less and works better than most cabin filters and one will cover 2 or 3 cars.

http://www.filtrete.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/FiltreteNA/Filtrete/Products/~/Filtrete-Healthy-Living-2400?N=4315+3294529207+3294573954&rt=rud

Interesting thread. I actually replaced mine this morning.

'08 Altima SE w/44k miles. Bought the car in February of this year and am pretty sure this has never been replaced. Smelled like mildew.

It had the Nissan logo, so OEM...

...installed an STP filter from Autozone for $8

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/nismopc/IMG_20150411_114025_642_zpskzh5rwne.jpg

I always replace, with my allergies I try to keep the air clean..

A little trick, when replacing your cabin air filter spray it with a couple shots of something that smells good.. Air freshner, fabreeze, cologne, etc.. Makes the air coming out of your vents smell that much better

A couple things guys.

-Not all cars are equipped with them

-How quickly they get dirty is based on where you drive.

-I check mine at 15K and replace IF NEEDED

-On hybrid vehicles, the air that cools the battery packs goes through this filter, so if it is clogged up with debris, your hybrid battery cooling is being compromised.

-Also if there is a drain issue with the cowl especially on VW's you could find the cabin filter soaking wet and horribly dirty IF it's located in the cowl area. Otherwise down behind the glove box doesn't see that issue.......usually.

Interesting thread. I actually replaced mine this morning.

'08 Altima SE w/44k miles. Bought the car in February of this year and am pretty sure this has never been replaced. Smelled like mildew.

It had the Nissan logo, so OEM...

...installed an STP filter from Autozone for $8

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/nismopc/IMG_20150411_114025_642_zpskzh5rwne.jpg

The Altima's all look like this after 15k. I've had to shop vac out dirt from the housings before.

I always replace, with my allergies I try to keep the air clean..

Same here... thanking the FDA for letting Flonase go OTC this year :)

-On hybrid vehicles, the air that cools the battery packs goes through this filter, so if it is clogged up with debris, your hybrid battery cooling is being compromised.

This is make/model specific... my Civic hybrid pulls whatever air is in the cabin through the battery pack, so if your windows are wide open, you're sucking the great outdoors straight through the battery pack.