How much is too much power for a street car?

noobiemcnooberson.

I've been banging around in my CTS-V since last summer, and i can honestly say after 10k miles that (aside from the obvious "it depends on the car"), 405hp is not enough. It's plenty fast, but either I want a lighter chassis, or more power.

I think 556hp from a v2 CTS-V will be just right for a true DD/street/highway cruiser. :thumbup:

So...if you're VW/BMW weight (3000-3500lbs), I'd say 400hp is fine.

I've been banging around in my CTS-V since last summer, and i can honestly say after 10k miles that (aside from the obvious "it depends on the car"), 405hp is not enough. It's plenty fast, but either I want a lighter chassis, or more power.

I think 556hp from a v2 CTS-V will be just right for a true DD/street/highway cruiser. :thumbup:

So...if you're VW/BMW weight (3000-3500lbs), I'd say 400hp is fine.

Your right a Ctsv is a great toy ;) as a DD

To me it would depend a lot on how stiff the clutch is and how the chassis is setup and your regular driving conditions (sitting in traffic a bunch or freeway driving or country roads). I certainly would not want a heavy clutch if I am sitting in traffic for an hour a day or a super stiff suspension if I am trying to avoid potholes all over the city on a daily basis. To me it would be more driver prefrence than what power level is good for a daily.

Your right a Ctsv is a great toy ;) as a DD

The downside to the above is the DD part. 6mos of the year yes. Downside is like Kirk said, the other 6 mos it's not.

I was so heavily leaning towards a Gen2 V but after driving one in cold weather and realizing that it's fun but not in such weather, I've moved to an AWD interest. Now if the V came in AWD......:p

I've told this story before, but to illustrate your point, I gang raped a tater in a V2 on Sunbury Rd in dry, but salt covered roads. We took off, and he just sat there making noise.

^^ yeah but sitting there making noise in a V2 is still cooler than any VW ;)

Depends on the rest of the car. My BRZ makes less than 300 rwhp, but it's a bit of a pain to drive one the street. Not because of the power, but because of the lightweight flywheel I installed. Driving it smoothly in traffic is a PITA.

^^ yeah but sitting there making noise in a V2 is still cooler than any VW ;)

How are those knees bro?

He has a Corvette now.

Oh wait, nvm, he traded it back quicker than it took me to type this.

That'll make 3 cars I've owned that have ran before your poopra.

My car puts down 436-434, which is by far the most powerful automobile I've driven. I'm going to have it tuned at DTM and be done. Hopefully come in at 450rwhp.

It's a subjective thing involving a lot of variables. For me, 436 in a standard transmission car feels pretty strong, but I'm not a race car driver, amateur or otherwise. Seen plenty of cars put over 500 to the wheels and the owner will say the car has great street manners. I guess it boils down to your skill level and comfort level. Recently saw a ZL1 Camaro put 613 down, pre-tune. That's impressive, and quite frankly too much car for me personally.

Before anyone posts a picture of RMS TITANIC, yes, I'm aware the Challenger platform is a large one. Even so, 450 for a car that gets driven on trips, etc. feels about right to me. A better driver, or at least a more aggressive one, might require more out of a DD. Takes a village.

I would say as long as its reliable and streetable it doesn't matter if its 500 or 3000. My last turbo upgrade has made my truck horrible on the street. Takes a lot of rpm's to light the turbo. I can't really tow anything with it now. Without manually shifting it the turbo doesn't light until 45 mph or the top of 3rd gear. Power wise its insane. When it does light at 45 in 4wd it feels like a speeding semi smacked you in the ass. I can do rolling burnouts at 55 top fuel dragster style. I would rather have a smaller turbo for DD though.

As everyone has said it depends so much on the car, and what your definition of streetable is. My opinion is to have something with a mild to moderate clutch pedal, idles well, and doesn't let it's mods otherwise get in the way of jumping in and going places. Then inside of those factors make as much power as you can. In most Camaros or Mustangs thats in the 400rwhp to 500rwhp range. Smaller cars won't need as much, and bigger cars are about useless.

Not sure, but I'm confident I'm at least 200-300 horsepower away from even considering this question. I'm making close to 400 and I limp it through winter easy enough. When touching the gas on a wet road sends me careening off to my fiery death I'll dial it back a bit.

I genuinely enjoy driving my Yaris everywhere, with a meek 114hp. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but the fact that I can drive like a fucking moron everywhere and never break the speed limit, is fun.

In all seriousness, I think this thread needs to discuss more power/weight ratios rather than HP figures. 500hp in a lard like the CTS-V isn't the same 500hp in a Civic.

I genuinely enjoy driving my Yaris everywhere, with a meek 114hp. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but the fact that I can drive like a fucking moron everywhere and never break the speed limit, is fun.

In all seriousness, I think this thread needs to discuss more power/weight ratios rather than HP figures. 500hp in a lard like the CTS-V isn't the same 500hp in a Civic.

Good point - my Abarth makes 160/180 in a car the size of a shoebox, and it is a laugh riot when the boost hits. And being front-wheel drive, it won't step out on you in the wet.