One 556 AR, what length?

Radio Flyer1647545514

Been kicking around the idea of a SBR, I just can't decide if it's worth it. Would you trust a SBR as your SHTF gun or would you stick with a 16" midlength?

Right now I have a 16" midlength with irons and a micro t1. All I want is something RELIABLE with the ability to be effective out to 300m or a little further since that's about as far as I can see with no magnification.

If I go the SBR route a can is going on it. I'm leaning toward a specwar k for performance and the reduced length.

I'm thinking a 12.5" because it's not as deafening as an 11.5" would be, especially inside which is where having an SBR would be most worthwhile, you get a little more velocity and more handguard choices.

Input?

Im too lazy to type my answer out on my phone, but in short I personally run a 16" barrel. My 12.2 gun is in 300 blackout.

I didn't validate all this guys numbers, but this should at least get you in the right direction.

http://angry-peasants.blogspot.com/2012/08/effective-range-of-your-223-or-556-rifle.html?m=1

11.5 should still be fine. 10.5 is where a gun can be very finicky with being undergassed so you may need to play with buffers. Ritter had a 12.5 gun and really liked it. I hadn't ever shot it. As a note, you could always do a 13.7 with a pinned noveske kx3/kx5 so you wouldn't need a stamp.

300-400m should still be okay at 12.5 barrel. I know a guy that shoots 300-350 with a 10.5... Though (as Hwilli said) you are going to lose velocity. Also, if you are going to try and have a well rounded gun for 15-75 yard shots as well as out to 400 I would think an ACOG (ta33 or ta50) or a 1-4 (Viper PST) would be a great choice for the diversity of shooting that you intend to do. The MicroT1 is certainly capable. I would think you would want something that has BDC type intervals for the distances you want to reach to.

What are you trying to improve over your existing 16" rifle?

Weight reduction and maneuverability.

Off a bench I can hit 10" steel just shy of 400 yards with the aimpoint. With the right ammo is an 11.5 or 12.5" just as effective at that range?

I don't see any situation I would ever be shooting past these distances, realistically anywhere close to them.

It's the same length with a can as a 16" but much more quiet inside, another big plus.

I just read a lot about the added wear of an sbr on your parts, my main concern is how much extra wear and is there a big difference in this amount between the 11.5 and 12.5?

Whenever I read about effectiveness of 556 it's based off of the 55gr fmj or 62gr. Does this go out the window if I use tsx bullets?

Also, if you are going to try and have a well rounded gun for 15-75 yard shots as well as out to 400 I would think an ACOG (ta33 or ta50) or a 1-4 (Viper PST) would be a great choice for the diversity of shooting that you intend to do. The MicroT1 is certainly capable. I would think you would want something that has BDC type intervals for the distances you want to reach to.

I like the simplicity behind the T1. At 400 yards you just put the bottom of the dot on top of a head and you're at center mass hits which is my goal. I just don't see the need for any magnification for this.

Right, I understand the point you are making. is this a SHTF gun?

That's my main concern.

Could it be? Would you trust it to be? Is it reliable enough to be?

Or is the midlength the best combination for the 556 in shtf?

You have many different lengths, if you could have one, what would you grab?

Hmmm, my 7.5 runs better than my 10.5's overall. But I've never had a 12.5 which is very intriguing. And, I've always gotten shit for not doing an 11.5 when I went 10.5. If you want reliability I would not go 10.5. Just from my experiences. I have 2 10.5 uppers and 1 runs flawlessly (semi and full) and the other 10.5 has had issues (but it is also running an NES CCS retractable stock). pS - and I never clean it.

I just can't understand the concept of having 1 AR. It just doesn't compute in my head. For reliability? I'd go with a 11.5 if doing an SBR. 14.5 Carbine or 16in Midlength rifles.

I agree that 1 AR15 won't satisfy all of my needs/wants. But two(or maybe 3) might...

I could truly be happy with 1 556 SBR, 1 308 AR-variant (ar10), and 1 20inch 556 bull barrel gun.

Edited by Diamonds