Anyone Else Riding?

Ben

Hi all,

My wife and I decided to ride in Pelotonia this year. Her father was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and my aunt was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Neither of us know how to cure cancer, but we felt we needed to do something. And both of us can at least ride a bike.

I also figured that we're probably not the only car people who also enjoy non-motorized wheeled contraptions. So, anyone else on here riding this year? Need help fundraising? Feel free to piggy back on this thread!

Thanks!

Ben

P.S. If you'd like to help support either my wife or me in our own diminutive stand against cancer, we would appreciate it. http://www.pelotonia.org/bentracy : http://www.pelotonia.org/mallorytracy

did it once in 2012. fundraising is too hard anymore. when it was young, someone might donate $100 to the 1 person they know doing it. now, they might know 5 people and do $20 each, so you gotta find a ton more people.

I had stuff donated to me to raffle off (haircuts at my sisters salon, bicycle jewelry made from chain links, fuck, i even bought a set of Tim's cornhole boards) and gave 1 ticket for every $20 donated. still only able to raise $1050, and $600 of that came from my dad, his girlfriend, and my sisters babysitter.

did it once in 2012. fundraising is too hard anymore. when it was young, someone might donate $100 to the 1 person they know doing it. now, they might know 5 people and do $20 each, so you gotta find a ton more people.

I had stuff donated to me to raffle off (haircuts at my sisters salon, bicycle jewelry made from chain links, fuck, i even bought a set of Tim's cornhole boards) and gave 1 ticket for every $20 donated. still only able to raise $1050, and $600 of that came from my dad, his girlfriend, and my sisters babysitter.

I remember you campaigning on here...had no idea you were unable to hit the goal. That is surprising with as much effort you put into it.

Have you considered being a virtual rider where there is no minimum amount required to be raised?

-Marc

This is what I think is sad that many people want to ride but the hassle of raising the high amounts they want is crazy

I remember you campaigning on here...had no idea you were unable to hit the goal. That is surprising with as much effort you put into it.

Have you considered being a virtual rider where there is no minimum amount required to be raised?

-Marc

I'm glad to know someone else remembers it. lol. In the end, I got really lucky...I was working for Chase and was on their team, and left there in June. About a week before fundraising was over in October, I was still about $400 short (I bumped my ride down to the $1250 level before the deadline to change it), and my dad was talking like he was gonna donate whatever I didn't get to...the team leader sent an email saying "if anyone needs funds, let us know because we have enough to share"...since I thought my dad was gonna do ~$400, I didn't email them. Well, last day possible he did $200, and I was $200 short.

Luckily the Chase leader still made sure to transfer funds so everyone was at their minimum...so technically I didn't come out of pocket too much (just the cost of the cornhole boards I bought from Tim for the raffle, which was still like $160 or so), but I still felt like it was a ton of effort and I kinda felt like I wasn't pulling my weight seeing people getting 3, 4, 5k+ in donations...I just can't take that risk of coming out of pocket hundreds of dollars if I don't make it or my new companies team doesn't hit the goal with $ to share.

It's a good cause, but there are a lot more charity rides I'd rather do throughout the year that cost a lot less. Maybe in the future if Pelotonia stops this minimum donation that's so high. I could understand it if the $$ went towards costs of the ride and they needed say $150 to support each rider, but 100% of the donations go towards the James/Solove. All of the support teams/food/etc is from sponsors.

Tour de Cause out of Lancaster is for addiction treatment centers, is a very well supported ride, and costs like $40.

Pedal with Pets to support a shelter (CHA I believe) off 161 near my house, I think was $20

Trek store does a breast cancer ride (don't know if they did it last fall, but definitely 2013)

And a couple to support the trail systems in Madison and Delaware counties...just to name a few.

I'm glad to know someone else remembers it. lol. In the end, I got really lucky...I was working for Chase and was on their team, and left there in June. About a week before fundraising was over in October, I was still about $400 short (I bumped my ride down to the $1250 level before the deadline to change it), and my dad was talking like he was gonna donate whatever I didn't get to...the team leader sent an email saying "if anyone needs funds, let us know because we have enough to share"...since I thought my dad was gonna do ~$400, I didn't email them. Well, last day possible he did $200, and I was $200 short.

Luckily the Chase leader still made sure to transfer funds so everyone was at their minimum...so technically I didn't come out of pocket too much (just the cost of the cornhole boards I bought from Tim for the raffle, which was still like $160 or so), but I still felt like it was a ton of effort and I kinda felt like I wasn't pulling my weight seeing people getting 3, 4, 5k+ in donations...I just can't take that risk of coming out of pocket hundreds of dollars if I don't make it or my new companies team doesn't hit the goal with $ to share.

It's a good cause, but there are a lot more charity rides I'd rather do throughout the year that cost a lot less. Maybe in the future if Pelotonia stops this minimum donation that's so high. I could understand it if the $$ went towards costs of the ride and they needed say $150 to support each rider, but 100% of the donations go towards the James/Solove. All of the support teams/food/etc is from sponsors.

Tour de Cause out of Lancaster is for addiction treatment centers, is a very well supported ride, and costs like $40.

Pedal with Pets to support a shelter (CHA I believe) off 161 near my house, I think was $20

Trek store does a breast cancer ride (don't know if they did it last fall, but definitely 2013)

And a couple to support the trail systems in Madison and Delaware counties...just to name a few.

Interesting. This is my first charity ride and I was unaware of those other events. Keep me posted on them...I could be interested in riding again depending on how I fair with this one!

Thanks,

Marc

Couldn't agree more- my work sponsors half of it, and of course it's an amazing cause, but the fundraising is tough. Even with CR's generosity and my family, I still had a few $100 out of pocket last year even doing only 50 miles. There are many more rides/runs that are much more affordable.

Thanks for riding, Ben.

I know that Zx2guy10, bmwohio, Casper, Farkas, and a few other CR members are regular participants. It's a great way to support a cause.

Happy riding!

Thanks Doc! This year I decided not to ride due to fundraising- the 50 miles was too easy (I don't mean that as a dick) so I wanted to do 100, but the fundraising is insane.

Interesting. This is my first charity ride and I was unaware of those other events. Keep me posted on them...I could be interested in riding again depending on how I fair with this one!

Thanks,

Marc

You'll do great man. 25/50 miles on a bike breezes by. Get some padded shorts or your ass will hurt for a year, ha!

You'll do great man. 25/50 miles on a bike breezes by. Get some padded shorts or your ass will hurt for a year, ha!

Ha! The padded shorts suggestion seems to be the common theme amongst all of the riders I have spoken with.

Honestly, I am not terribly concerned about the distance. If my 325lb boss can do it, I'm sure I can. Just worried about how angry my ass is going to be after the ride!

I'm working on setting up a few practice rides here soon. Some in Hilliard, some hitting the Olentangy Trail amongst others. You have an interest in riding along for fun?

-Marc

I'm working on setting up a few practice rides here soon. Some in Hilliard, some hitting the Olentangy Trail amongst others. You have an interest in riding along for fun?

-Marc

Definitely- I have a bike from work until the event, so I'd definitely be interested. It makes it much more enjoyable if you have someone too, so let me know. You have the number!

meh century rides are easy, key is just hydrate if it is hot and keep food in your belly, if you feel hungry, eat.

They have flattened (less elevation gain) this ride out some over the years due to some peoples difficulty in making it the 100 miles...Really though it is not bad, about 30% harder then a marathon in my opinion.

Your legs can take it, however TRAINING in advance like Marc is planning is a huge benefit and will help your post ride cellular damage aka PAIN.

I dont ride Pelotonia because yes, the amounts to raise are steep and it is becoming a whose who of a donation ride...

I may volunteer support and ride 100 miles any way being a volunteer support rider.

There are lots of great charity ride, ride to recovery on memorial day in New Albany is awesome, 80 bucks, but you meet and greet with all the veterans, food, stop support, police guides, just a great ride good cause.

The funny thing about these rides is they are never a "Race" until you start riding and you look at your speedo and you find your self going faster then you thought!

I was riding at 12-13 MPH yesterday for 15 miles and could have gone farther, but man that's almost 8 hrs of constant biking. Not to mention I hear there are some big hills that cut that MPH down.

The year I did it, we took the more hilly ending and did it in like 5:08 of ride time. Just under a 20 average. I think a few guys did it in 4:25ish.

We rode on Mother's day weekend from Columbus to Portsmouth on Saturday and back to Columbus on Sunday. 19.1ish average down, 21.3 back (4:53 for 105 miles).

Ride faster and the suffering doesn't last as long. :) Also, riding slower hurts more. Put down more power and you're actually keeping some weight off your ass from pressing down on the pedals. Ride slow and just sit on the seat, all of your weight is there. My most painful ride was the ride of silence through downtown...10 miles at about 8mph avg.

The year I did it, we took the more hilly ending and did it in like 5:08 of ride time. Just under a 20 average. I think a few guys did it in 4:25ish.

We rode on Mother's day weekend from Columbus to Portsmouth on Saturday and back to Columbus on Sunday. 19.1ish average down, 21.3 back (4:53 for 105 miles).

Ride faster and the suffering doesn't last as long. :) Also, riding slower hurts more. Put down more power and you're actually keeping some weight off your ass from pressing down on the pedals. Ride slow and just sit on the seat, all of your weight is there. My most painful ride was the ride of silence through downtown...10 miles at about 8 mph avg.

Great speeds! Ill see you around at Westerville if it ever stops raining...

And sounds advice, slower isn't always easier, with in reason.

Great speeds! Ill see you around at Westerville if it ever stops raining...

And sounds advice, slower isn't always easier, with in reason.

Bike has been in my car since monday night. Dublin got rained out last night and westerville today.

This will be my first year riding...and I am going 100 miles!

https://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=377727

Thanks!

Marc

Good for you man! I've done centuries before but my wife and I didn't think we could both raise the cash to each do 100.

Make sure you hydrate, eat, and get electrolytes. The first time I went over 50 I drank just a bit of water here and there. Holy cramps...