Would you buy a 92x?

STEVE-O

I like them, but the good ones seem to command a premium in the used market. Would rather rock a 92x Aero over a WRX just for the uniqueness.

Saw one at CC&C on Saturday...looked great @ 142k miles except for some rocker panel rust on the rear quarter.

I like them, but the good ones seem to command a premium in the used market. Would rather rock a 92x Aero over a WRX just for the uniqueness.

This. I looked for one for a while but they are harder to come by and were always $2k more than any WRX. Usually better shape also.

Thoughts on buying a 92x? And major cons besides its a wrx with a Saab body?

This is a aero also if you care

I looked into this a while back when I was considering one. I actually prefer them over the WRX for a couple of reasons:

1) I thought the interior was nicer than standard WRX wagons. The seats are saab proprietary and not subaru units. The car also has more sound deadening

2) The suspension and steering are parts bin WRX and STI stuff with some odd saab parts thrown in. The rear control arms are aluminum, the steering rack is an STI unit, and the shocks are Saab Specific. The hardware and body bushings are all STI units and not standard WRX pieces (stiffer).

think of the 92X as sitting in between the WRX and STI. It uses the WRX drivetrain but the STI under pieces, and "luxury" interior pieces. Nicer and more grown up than the boy racer WRX but not as "hardcore" as a same year STi. I think 2006 is the better year as it has the 2.5L engine over the 2.0L from 2005.

Thoughts on buying a 92x? And major cons besides its a wrx with a Saab body?

This is a aero also if you care

"Aero" is what makes it a WRX, it would be a Linear or 2.5i otherwise which is an EJ25 NA SOHC.

The earlier ones had the EJ205 2 liter, the later ones had the EJ255 2.5 liter.

Back when they were new and languishing unsold on dealer lots they seemed like a great deal, they weren't selling for much more than an equivalent WRX and you got a nicer car that looked a bit more respectable. Now, though, I'd be worried about parts availability. Any sort of minor collision or broken interior part is going to leave you combing car-part.com struggling to find a match.

Thread should be re titled to "would I be able to flip this car for a good quick profit if I bought it?"

All jokes aside, I've always liked these bc of being low key compared to wrx's. Turbo back/tune and it would be a fun daily (for your new potential buyer :gabe: )

There is no reason to purchase one over a wrx of that era unless you want asked dumb question or need heated seats. I have no complaints about mine though, it currently has 145k miles and has never had any maintenance aside from oil changes and brakes until now. I see 27mpg somehow with a 60 mile daily commute. They have the commen fuel leak in the winter when temps are under 28-30* from the little rubber 90* hose that doesn't seal. Subaru wouldn't issue the recall to the Saab 92x aero like they did on the wrx iirc, so watch out for that. I also have had a recall for the front control arms and just recieved another one for airbags. Also, take a look at the rear brake lines where they bolt to the brass block as that's the only spot Subaru didn't coat the lines and that's where they rust. The OE lines and the labor for install is unreal bc the rear subframe, fuel tank, dash board are supposed to be pulled. I'd personally go for the wrx and save the money in purchasing price.

Thread should be re titled to "would I be able to flip this car for a good quick profit if I bought it?"

All jokes aside, I've always liked these bc of being low key compared to wrx's. Turbo back/tune and it would be a fun daily (for your new potential buyer :gabe: )

I always buy everything as a deal is why I even consider one, will I sell it yes I will... Do I intend to buy it and list it quickly? No I dont. It's awd 4 door 4 cylinder turbo car so it will be my winter car next to the XJ. I would plan on some form of exhaust and a tune and that is all

(If I had to ask people if they would buy a car to flip I shouldn't be trying to flip cars in the first place.)

There is no reason to purchase one over a wrx of that era unless you want asked dumb question or need heated seats. I have no complaints about mine though, it currently has 145k miles and has never had any maintenance aside from oil changes and brakes until now. I see 27mpg somehow with a 60 mile daily commute. They have the commen fuel leak in the winter when temps are under 28-30* from the little rubber 90* hose that doesn't seal. Subaru wouldn't issue the recall to the Saab 92x aero like they did on the wrx iirc, so watch out for that. I also have had a recall for the front control arms and just recieved another one for airbags. Also, take a look at the rear brake lines where they bolt to the brass block as that's the only spot Subaru didn't coat the lines and that's where they rust. The OE lines and the labor for install is unreal bc the rear subframe, fuel tank, dash board are supposed to be pulled. I'd personally go for the wrx and save the money in purchasing price.

I would take a wrx over it as well but when I'm looking at a great deal I can't be to picky. my XJ gets terrible mpg so to see even with awd your getting over 25 is awesome.

I know of an excellent WRX wagon on the market currently ;) If you are looking for something pretty unique they are great cars, as others have stated quite a blend of performance parts / luxury parts and a more understated body than the Subaru brothers.

On the other hand you CAN get into some sticky situations with Saab going the way of the mammoth. Depending on price and maintenance I would rock one.