Alphabet Soup is almost gone, only CTS and V left.

Draco-REX

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not feeling the E9x M3 in general..or that particular example?

Interested other than lack of torque in what turned you off to the platform?

My wife also hated the E92 torque so we wound up with a 997 TT. Maybe you should check those out.

It's not the torque, hell I drive a BRZ and think it isn't underpowered, it was partly the particular car and the frustration around it. But I also started thinking of my trips to MA. One stretch I do is about 320 miles. Given bad weather I don't think the M3 would make it. It's not a big deal since I could stop for fuel earlier, but it is a shortcoming in a 50k car....

I'm not a huge fan of Porsche for a DD, and looking at what is available in my price range, there really wasn't anything compelling.

I'm not a huge fan of Porsche for a DD, and looking at what is available in my price range, there really wasn't anything compelling.

FWIW most people I know who DD a Porsche went in with the same skepticism and now they say it's the best DD sports car out there.

Went to CarMax to drive the V. Seems they misplaced it...

Hopefully it turns up by the time I get off work.

Sometimes I almost envy the knuckle heads out there that are happy driving anything.

Yeah. It's nice if a bit high in price. Problem is that I have to work tomorrow, and have a race next Saturday. So it would be two weeks before I could take a look at it.

No automatics. I've made that mistake twice. I'm not making it again.

I'll be in Cincinnati on Monday and Tuesday if you wanted me to go take a look.

It's not the torque, hell I drive a BRZ and think it isn't underpowered, it was partly the particular car and the frustration around it. But I also started thinking of my trips to MA. One stretch I do is about 320 miles. Given bad weather I don't think the M3 would make it. It's not a big deal since I could stop for fuel earlier, but it is a shortcoming in a 50k car....

Have you thought about going to test drive a new Chevrolet SS? New ones with all options are in your price range and it is just about the most practical car you can get with a stick and 400+hp. It's an LS v8, what could go wrong?

Lash and couglin both have bright red 6 speed manual models in stock at the moment. Dan Tobin has like 3 automatics you can probably drive right now. It's still a chevy inside the interior so it probably won't hold up to anything luxury and German or even a used CTSV but it isn't exactly a pine bench either. test drives don't cost anything, go check it out. Chances are you are biased against domestics anyway so you'll find some reason not to like it but hey - free joy ride.

You guys do realize that if I get a domestic and I end up hating it, I'm hunting you all down, right?

At least you'll have a chance at catching us in the caddy. The caddy makes over 250rwtq before you even open the door to start it.

Have you thought about going to test drive a new Chevrolet SS? New ones with all options are in your price range and it is just about the most practical car you can get with a stick and 400+hp. It's an LS v8, what could go wrong?

Lash and couglin both have bright red 6 speed manual models in stock at the moment. Dan Tobin has like 3 automatics you can probably drive right now. It's still a chevy inside the interior so it probably won't hold up to anything luxury and German or even a used CTSV but it isn't exactly a pine bench either. test drives don't cost anything, go check it out. Chances are you are biased against domestics anyway so you'll find some reason not to like it but hey - free joy ride.

I'm hoping they drop the 8speed auto in this car. I'd love to pick one up, make it look generic as hell, and add a turbo.

So, they found out where the techs were hiding the CTS-V and I was able to take it for a spin.

Bottom line, the M3 is better in almost every way, IMO. But there are a couple big ways the CTS-V got my attention.

Driving it was interesting. The first thing I noticed is that I absolutely HATE the automatic transmission in it. In one word: "Slushbox". Thankfully GM still keeps manuals on the shelf.

Interior quality is a strange mix. Nice leather surfaces to touch interspersed with Chevy switchgear. The BMW felt more like a special place to be, the V more like a regular car with some nice dressing. Hell the M3 handed me my seatbelt, I'm gonna miss that bit of of insanity. However, the seating position in the V was much lower, something I like. I really felt like I was sitting IN the car, and I even bumped the seat up a little; that's unheard of for me. My biggest worry is electrical gremlins; especially the electric door poppers. I know there are mechanical methods to get in and out, but it seems like an unnecessary point of failure.

The ride was better in the M3. The suspension settings in M felt like they made a difference. In the V, it wasn't so evident between Tour and Sport. The V also didn't corner as confidently, but really, that's to be expected. Almost nothing with 4 seats can touch an M3 when it comes to the twisties.

Power, however.. :fuckyeah: The throttle ramp is a lot slower than I'm used to, but it's t be expected with so much torque on tap. The top half makes the V feel like a normal car. But the lower half is insane-o mode. I think with a good manual it will be a blast to drive. Power-to-weight isn't all that much better than the BRZ, surprisingly. But that's saying something for a 4200lb car.

About that. A 4200lb coupe? Daaamn! Yo' CTS is so fat.....

Styling wise, I think the V wins. The M is understated with aggressive elements, like Agent 47. The V is more like Bautista in a suit. Aggressive looking cars always catch my eye.

So, while I fully believe the M3 is a better car, I think you jokers managed to get me into a V. This is the one I'm considering for a couple reasons. First, the sheer power on tap makes this the most powerful car I've ever driven by a long shot. And since it's a LS engine, it will be more reliable and more power can be had pretty easily. (Don't start thinking I'm going all Clarkson now..) Second, this will save me a good chunk of change. Money saved here can be used for important stuff like.. reducing the amount of chrome on this car. I kind of wish it had the nicer seats, and wasn't so boring silver, but beggars can't be choosers.

There you have it, I might go against my gut and buy a domestic. Crazy.

But if you get a stick you don't have to get the silver one you test drove... Get a exhaust tune and pulley and be done with the v..

http://m.carmax.com/vehicle/11800352

That's the one I linked. There's no way I'm getting an auto. I just drove the auto because it was what was local. There are no manual V coupes for sale within 200 miles of here.

I think you jokers managed to get me into a V.

There you have it, I might go against my gut and buy a domestic. Crazy.

Yay! :) Now, call Naples Motorsports and find out how much they want...

http://www.naplesmotorsports.com/vehicle-details/2012-cadillac-cts-v-coupe-coupe-56966dacfba34f16b791ffe3bc12a362/

:leghump:

http://photos4.automanager.com/012359/56966dacfba34f16b791ffe3bc12a362/92bf78262d_800.jpg

Get the V. You won't be disappointed. I loved every minute of driving one when I was looking. The one thing I would suggest adding to your gotta have list is the Recaro Seats. Pass on the cheap ones you have in the one linked. They are out there. IMO I'd ditch Car Max too. Would never trust buying a high end car there. Besides the price on the one you linked too isn't great. I found a 12k mile 2013 for less than that. Fully loaded sedan with Recaros, black on black with the yellow rotors, etc. Beautiful car. Caddy dealers everywhere and they usually won't take in crap. Watch car max for wrecked shit they try and hide. At least that's what I've seen when I looked there.

I had a v sedan for 4 years. I loved it. Had zero issues. The car would have been perfect with the new 8 speed auto, and a 20 gallon gas tank. I hated filling up often, and the auto was a slush box.

I really liked the recaro seats, and the ride in comfort mode was incredible. Only mod I ever had was a catback, and to be honest, it sounded great but droned on the freeway. When I switched the exhaust back to stock and drove the car 8 hours to trade it in for my Audi, I almost kept it. Dead serious. Only thing that literally held me back was I only had a bank check for the difference with my trade in accounted for. The car was that enjoyable.

I completely understand the cool factor of the M. A high revving motor that spins to 8500rpms. When I put my Audi in sport mode the seatbelts tighten---how cool? Honestly after the first couple times I've forgotten about it. The truth is 99% of the time you're just not going to rev your car to 8000 rpms at every stoplight. But you will appreciate the mountain of torque the v has to offer right off the line at low rpms. That is torque you will use all day everyday with normal driving, which makes the car that fun.

The coupe is within 100 lbs of the sedan which is within 100 lbs of the wagon. They are reasonably big cars. I felt the brakes in the v were VERY good over the course of 4 years of ownership. Not much difference between sport and touring suspension modes,mbuy I'm not really interested in tracking the car.

You will likely find the stock power to be plenty, like me. But if not, 100 more hp is simply a pulley/tune, and heat exchanger away. The car has a pretty decent stereo as well.

Seems like your off the BMW thing but the Turbo 6cyl motor would make for a better daily in a 335 with lots of torque,if you could get a manual or not?

Manual http://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified/BMW/2012-BMW-335is+Coupe-6ac89faf0a0e0ae706656535a5b6ac7d.htm?geoZip=43035

With spending 50K I would be going CPO frankly if I were buying a Beemer or Cadillac

While I would like the Recaros, they just aren't out there within a reasonable distance, and I don't have the vacation days to do a cross country drive. In all honesty (to myself as well) this car will likely be a filler for a few years until the M4 comes off the worst of its depreciation slope. So if it isn't 100% perfect, I'll be fine with it. The regular seats are comfortable, and the silver will look fine once I de-bling it. I'm still getting all the power and the same transmission.