October weekend getaway...any suggestions?

1Quik7

Our first anni is coming up int October and we're talking about getting away for a short weekend trip. Looking to drive somewhere, like it to be less than 6hrs as the wife has ADD in the car.

Her first idea was somewhere in Michigan...like Traverse City, but that is quite a ways up there. I was thinking Niagra Falls, never been.

We've been to Chicago, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Nashville, KY Horse Park...so none of those.

Any recommendations? Just need somewhere with pretty colors and something to do or sight see...maybe some crazy fall festival?

If you can get her to deal with the drive, or you can find a cheap flight/car rental to Albany, there is no more beautiful place in the U.S. than Vermont when the trees change color. My folks have a house in the southern part of the state but anywhere you go is amazing.

Western Maryland around Deep Creek is pretty. Go past Pittsburgh into the mountains is also really nice. Seven Springs an Hidden Valley for hiking and outdoorsy stuff.

Hocking Hills is always a good place as well as its not quite a drive.

Western Maryland around Deep Creek is pretty. Go past Pittsburgh into the mountains is also really nice. Seven Springs an Hidden Valley for hiking and outdoorsy stuff.

Hocking Hills is always a good place as well as its not quite a drive.

Hit up Deep Creek and The Wisp every Valentines Day.

Got some new ideas...keep'em coming!

We've really liked St.Louis. Last time we stayed on The Loop in the Moonrise hotel. The hotel has a really nice rooftop bar. Really cool area with a ton to do from very good food to a huge park near there. A very short short trip gets you to Forest Park, a 1400 acre park in the middle of the city with a zoo, museums and a science center. I can't emphasize how much fun we had around here and wish we had more time to explore the park. We will be going back and staying at the same place in the future.

http://moonrisehotel.com/

http://www.forestparkforever.org/

I've only done Niagara once, it was cool to see but I liked Niagara on the Lake better. We rented a tandem bike and went to a ton of wineries, it was a lot of fun.

Went to downtown Indy for a wedding last summer and it's now on our list for a long weekend. Really vibrant downtown.

Staycations in downtown Columbus are fun too. We stayed at The Joeseph on our most recent one and it was really nice and in a great spot.

http://m.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3872

In Michigan we've done Bay City and St.Joseph's and liked both. I'd suggests St.Joseph's out of the two.