Let's discuss CR

Cordell

I've been a mod for a few years and participated on this site for quite some time, although I'm not an OG more the second wave of active memeber. So anybody who's been on here has seen the changes over the years, street racing not being the primary topic anymore, and as Facebook's popularity grew a lot of typical discussions have moved there. However there is still a solid base on CR, so I'd love to see people participate in discussions more then they do. There are lots of smart people on this site and multiple opinions is something I miss. How can we stimulate some new members and reignite the old ones?

And I know lots of my friends still get on CR and never post, so you are primarily my target with that question.

On the flip side I realize there is plenty of dumb and useless crap on this site, but I personally find some of it entertaining. This is not the opinion of all the admins, but we have decided to relax on moderating the site. You guys have the ability to control what gets talked about again. The rules are simple, no racism, understand that it's very possible you may come face to face with another member so we don't want threats at all, but it needs to be fun again.

Thoughts? Questions? Something? And all you chatbox junkies can have discussions in the rest of the forum too.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like forums, although I don't post all that much. I find it's a much better way to post and find specific things when you need them. Besides, the forum seems to be a lot busier than the Facebook group lately.

Couple ideas to keep things flowing is to maybe have dedicated moderators for specific sections. For example, have people that do a lot of autocross/track/strip events run it and keep people up to date on events that are coming up. We've got some good BSers on here. Maybe have them run the off-topic section?

On bringing people back, maybe send out an email to those who used to be active, but have fallen off, to invite them back. Might drum up some more log-ins.

Slow day at work. Figured I could use some of my skills from there and transpose them to here since they're being wasted anyway.

I don't feel it's over moderated.....Can I make a pic thread in the parking lot?

Obviously if someone starts a thread in the wrong section we'll move it, doing it repeatedly just to be annoying is a matter for whoever catches you doing it.

Hell, it never was to begin with. It's always been a "fun" site until the majority of us got old and responsible.

I get the "fun" part of why CR was around. I've been around since the beginning.

I'm talking about people asking serious questions about whatever and they get replied with "go fuck a tree" or "go play in traffic" "or suck it up and be a man." type stuff.

Most people regardless of age don't want to see that (well unless you're the one replying).

I've been a mod for a few years and participated on this site for quite some time, although I'm not an OG more the second wave of active memeber. So anybody who's been on here has seen the changes over the years, street racing not being the primary topic anymore, and as Facebook's popularity grew a lot of typical discussions have moved there. However there is still a solid base on CR, so I'd love to see people participate in discussions more then they do. There are lots of smart people on this site and multiple opinions is something I miss. How can we stimulate some new members and reignite the old ones?

Oh shit, a serious thread that I want to participate in and yet it's mid afternoon and I should be working not taking another cell phone break :gabe:

I too am far from an OG but time blows by as I can't believe I've been here this long. Although I seemed to have joined already knowing several here from as far back as National Trail days in the mid 90's and the days of list-serves.

Discussion wise, I agree and with many of the CR Crowd now being "older" however you define that, I more enjoy and would like to see participation in even the more serious topics that sometimes get squashed or just plain don't hit the board. I suppose it's a "racing site" so perhaps that's why, but as you said, that's not been the core of topics anymore, and honestly, I've not been racing or having that type of fun since the days kids and life got in the way as they do. In a good way though.

I try every chance I get to get new members on board as I think the one thing that's come through most for me is the core group of people that I know are really solid people. It's far from a board of just street racing kids that aren't worth spit. We really do have a solid group of people from all walks of life that in many cases would drop what they are doing to help a brother out. That's hard to find any more.

On the flip side I realize there is plenty of dumb and useless crap on this site, but I personally find some of it entertaining. This is not the opinion of all the admins, but we have decided to relax on moderating the site. You guys have the ability to control what gets talked about again. The rules are simple, no racism, understand that it's very possible you may come face to face with another member so we don't want threats at all, but it needs to be fun again.

Above is true and half the reason I login like I do. Life is serious enough and sometimes a crazy stupid off the wall thread is fun. Even the ones that go down hill fast. LOL's can surely be had.

I get the "fun" part of why CR was around. I've been around since the beginning. I'm talking about people asking serious questions about whatever and they get replied with "go fuck a tree" or "go play in traffic" "or suck it up and be a man." type stuff.

Most people regardless of age don't want to see that (well unless you're the one replying).

^^ Agree. I typically ignore those. I am still amazed at how many times someone I have never met or know fires a smart ass comment or PM at me though. I brush off most but a couple I won't ever forget.

Something I have heard people say in the past: People on CR seem to be elitist pricks. Not saying I am of this opinion, but I have talked to more than a few that are of that opinion.

Those people are usually butthurt about something. Met people from all walks of life on this forum. Everyone from a Doctor on down. Not once was I ever treated any different by anyone.

CR should upgrade to the latest IPS board (not vbulletin). I use it on several sites and there are a ton of useful features. You can tag people in posts, get notified if you get quoted, embeds are seamless, mobile styles, etc. Also change the search time to 3 seconds and enable 3-letter searches. If there are some server resource limitations to keeping things locked down then move to a better provider. If there is no money to buy an IPS license then pass the fucking hat around.

Technicals aside, most of the site should be publicly viewable. You can't link for sale threads to anyone because they need a CR account. The areas you WANT safe from prying eyes? Make the topic list viewable (when you enter a forum category) but you can't actually view the post you click on unless you log in.

I actually have plenty more ideas but that is a start.

Also, over the years the discussion sites that I have frequented go to complete shit when the "OG" members talk non-stop about how things used to be. When a site becomes too much about itself then it is already over.

THANK YOU!!!

I cringe when I hear people toss that term around on the interwebz, its like wearing your high school letterman jacket to parties after you get out of high school....

Those people are usually butthurt about something. Met people from all walks of life on this forum. Everyone from a Doctor on down. Not once was I ever treated any different by anyone.

I agree, I have met a few from the site and most are pretty cool (at least in person lol). There are others on the site though that I feel have judged me solely by what I have posted and have no care or desire to meet me (not that I really care, just making a point). That could be what some are seeing and maybe why they are feeling this way, the fact that some take the internet way too serious. Others that have never been on the site yet have no desire to join I have met at car meets. A lot of word of mouth has driven them away and (at least when I started coming to the meets at home depot) there used to be a group of cr members that just kinda kept to themselves on the other side of the lot, not seemingly interested in meeting new people, which I have a certain understanding for based on the fuckery that went on (and progressively got worse). Though other members walked around and socialized with just about everyone, so it seems it is, ironically, just a stereotype.

I've been on this site for close to 12 years....shit! Am I OG?

Nope :p

as far as the site goes, this is starting to become an common theme for many forums.

COS has like 3 people who post, and thats about it.

We get the traffic, but not the posting. Facebook has spoiled people to the instant notification lifestyle of the younger generation. (yep, Im old.)

CR should upgrade to the latest IPS board (not vbulletin). I use it on several sites and there are a ton of useful features. You can tag people in posts, get notified if you get quoted, embeds are seamless, mobile styles, etc. Also change the search time to 3 seconds and enable 3-letter searches. If there are some server resource limitations to keeping things locked down then move to a better provider. If there is no money to buy an IPS license then pass the fucking hat around.

I actually have plenty more ideas but that is a start.

IPS is REALLY expensive from what i just looked at..

jesus..

750 online visitors

$590/mo

SELECT PLAN

*edit*

I stand corrected, thats for Cloud hosting.

Technicals aside, most of the site should be publicly viewable. You can't link for sale threads to anyone because they need a CR account. The areas you WANT safe from prying eyes? Make the topic list viewable (when you enter a forum category) but you can't actually view the post you click on unless you log in.

Forum software upgrade has been on the list for a while. Every time we are close to being ready to do this something else pops up in our life and it gets put on hold. This is nearing the top of my priority list though of things that we need to do for the forum.

Making the forum publicly viewable but require a login to read the threads is also one of the things that is on the list for future changes. I wanted to do this when removing the rep/infraction system but we where not quite ready to implement that many changes all at once.

Running these clubs/forums is exhausting sometimes, and the people who are just starting to get into the car scenes who complain about stuff just dont get how much time and effort and history has gone into everything we do, and WHY we do it.

its frustrating.

that is for the HOSTED plans. I think it is like $300 for the software you install.

Yah i caught taht after i posted..