College Football Thread v12.0

bicranium

Also high fiving myself, for doing exactly what people are supposed to do. I also pay my taxes, keep up with my bills, wash my hands after I use the restroom, manage to keep myself from actually strangling the folks I work with, refuse to have sex with women who tell me "no"....any other normal things that I should be congratulating myself for, that you apparently think are odd?

Using good grammar and punctuation on the interwebz.

Bama Player 1 game for his first, but has 2...

Of course if your just the back-up kicker you get "suspended indefinitely" http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/09/alabama_kicker_arrested_for_du.html

These are the ones google found with Saben going public with the discipline.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raise your hand if you've never driven at .08? Raise your hand if you never drank as a minor?

Pat yourselves on the back.

Raises hand.

Drinks responsibly.

the day i turned 21 was my first drink without a parent present.

Minor Legal limit is .02

he's a minor still. As stupid as it is- he's legally a minor.

Raises hand.

Drinks responsibly.

the day i turned 21 was my first drink without a parent present.

Minor Legal limit is .02

he's a minor still. As stupid as it is- he's legally a minor.

Again it doesnt matter. You dont get an ovi for being 20 and blowing a.06 its an entirely different charge. He got an OVI because he blew over .08

Also high fiving myself, for doing exactly what people are supposed to do. I also pay my taxes, keep up with my bills, wash my hands after I use the restroom, manage to keep myself from actually strangling the folks I work with, refuse to have sex with women who tell me "no"....any other normal things that I should be congratulating myself for, that you apparently think are odd?

I find it odd that you list being able to restrain yourself from murdering, or raping someone, in the same conversation as a discussion about young people making common young people mistakes. If you hang your hat on showing such incredible restraint, more power to you.

The point was simply that people are very quick to harshly judge the mistakes of others, while ignoring their own personal failures. Young people drink before the legal age of twenty-one at a rate so high the outliers are those who don't have a drink at some point before their 21st birthday. In JT's case no one was harmed, so it's a great teaching opportunity. He deserves punishment, but some of the admonishment he's receiving is laughably unrealistic.

Also because bars aren't typically attached to our houses, lots of us go out to have a few drinks on occasion. Go to any bar in the country on a Saturday night and watch people pour in and out. How many do you think are at .08-ish? Now most of us know when we're one or three drinks past our limits, and responsible folks plan for these evenings, but I bet at one point in my life I've driven at .08 or around. Maybe I was .07, maybe .09, who knows. I've never been pulled over after a night out, not that I would perform any field sobriety tests, because I wouldn't, but that's beside the point. Occasional .08ers aren't out there killing innocent drivers and themselves at alarming numbers, that's just where we've set the legal limit, because we have to set it somewhere. I'm not advocating that one should drive around the limit, but my pitchfork isn't out over it.

Now if JT gets nailed behind the wheel, in six months, then we have a disturbing pattern, and not just a one-off case of "kids doing dumb".

You guys are forgetting he was a MINOR under the influence. There is no legal limit for him. The fact he was drinking and then chose to drive is enough. He is already guilty.

Now OSU star quarterback who was underage was driving and got caught. Makes the university look bad and makes Urban look bad.

I have zero tolerance for drinking and driving if you do not punish him and send a message to everyone( that includes all the youngsters who look up at him as their idol) you are not helping the problem but saying its ok to drive drunk. 1 game isn't enough and that isn't me being a hater on the Buckeyes. When you get an OVI you instantly lose your license until it goes through the courts and then it's a minimum 6 months suspension. He should be sentanced the same way through the team.

Hmm. So you have zero tolerance for drinking and driving.

Is that because you did it, blacked out/crashed your car while drunk? And that's the reason you have no tolerance? I guess when you reach perfection you can pass judgment. Instead, you became a Bama fan who likes to dance and has zero tolerance for things you have done in the past.

Yup exactly that's why I have zero tolerance for it. I have also seen way to many tragic stories.

Geno Matias-Smith, Starting DB for Alabama. He was arrested for his 2nd DUI in March of this year. He wasn't dismissed from the team or suspended for any games.

Lets hear you denounce Alabama as your team since you have a zero tolerance policy...

I think he should he been dismissed from the team for a second DUI. Harsher penalties on a first incident will lead to a decrease in second time offenders. Second offense goodbye.

I don't agree that the team is responsible to penalizing the students. The NCAA obviously needs some kind of personal conduct policy for all schools to cover stuff like this.

I find it odd that you list being able to restrain yourself from murdering, or raping someone, in the same conversation as a discussion about young people making common young people mistakes. If you hang your hat on showing such incredible restraint, more power to you.

And *I* find it odd that you would facetiously suggest that someone who has done things the right way and managed NOT to break the law should "raise their hand", as if to make a spectacle of the "goody goody's". I'm not "proud" of the fact that I have never gotten a dui or even driven under the influence (just like I don't show off the fact that I haven't murdered anyone) because those are things a person is just SUPPOSED to do.

If you WEREN'T being sarcastic in your OP, then my bad for taking it the wrong way.

Hmm. So you have zero tolerance for drinking and driving.

And you can go ahead and count me amongst this group of folks. There were a group of us that used to go out on a fairly regular basis. I called them the "beer snobs". Typically the evening would consist of a few beers, dinner, good conversation, and maybe some cards or something. No one ever got out of hand, no one really even ever got tipsy. After a while, one of the main members of this group moved away from the rest of us. One night he went out with some of his new friends, doing the same thing that we used to do. On his way home, he drifted left of center in a construction zone, hit another vehicle head on, killing one of the occupants. He then spent a portion of his life in prison, and will spend the rest of his life dealing with that regret. This is a dude that none of us had never even seen tipsy before.

My point is this, whats done is done. The punishment for JT, in my opinion, is warranted and fair. However, also in my opinion, drinking and getting behind the wheel is NEVER justified. Regardless of how many you have had, and regardless of how far you may or may not be going. Nowadays, Uber has made it so easy to avoid, that it is especially unjustifiable.

And *I* find it odd that you would facetiously suggest that someone who has done things the right way and managed NOT to break the law should "raise their hand", as if to make a spectacle of the "goody goody's". I'm not "proud" of the fact that I have never gotten a dui or even driven under the influence (just like I don't show off the fact that I haven't murdered anyone) because those are things a person is just SUPPOSED to do.

If you WEREN'T being sarcastic in your OP, then my bad for taking it the wrong way.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make a spectacle of anyone, certainly not the people who have never had a drink and then driven before. If anything the people who have in fact done that very thing were supposed to take notice. I would wager a very large percentage of adults have done what JT did (well maybe not the escape attempt), at around similar BAC, at least once in their lives, likely at a relatively young age. The "pat yourselves on the back" comment was more a "you're excused because there can't be very many of you."

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make a spectacle of anyone, certainly not the people who have never had a drink and then driven before. If anything the people who have in fact done that very thing were supposed to take notice. I would wager a very large percentage of adults have done what JT did (well maybe not the escape attempt), at around similar BAC, at least once in their lives, likely at a relatively young age. The "pat yourselves on the back" comment was more a "you're excused because there can't be very many of you."

Alright, sounds like I overreacted. My apologies. You are, most likely, correct in your assumption that I am most likely in the minority as far as the drinking and driving goes.

Don't call it an escape attempt. His intent was absolutely legal.

Alright, sounds like I overreacted. My apologies. You are, most likely, correct in your assumption that I am most likely in the minority as far as the drinking and driving goes.

None needed, I can see how it could be read in that way, I read things "in my way" online and sometimes forget the inflection is lost entirely.

Don't call it an escape attempt. His intent was absolutely legal.

LOL, he attempted to escape a checkpoint, while I find they very idea of government checkpoints to be reprehensible, they have to be watching out for that behavior.

LOL, he attempted to escape a checkpoint, while I find they very idea of government checkpoints to be reprehensible, they have to be watching out for that behavior.

It's actual legal precedent in Ohio that they can only pull you over for a traffic violation. They cannot pull you over for avoiding a checkpoint. It is not illegal to avoid it. They pulled him over for "backing without safety".

It's actual legal precedent in Ohio that they can only pull you over for a traffic violation. They cannot pull you over for avoiding a checkpoint. It is not illegal to avoid it. They pulled him over for "backing without safety".

They can call it whatever they want, we KNOW what it is. I've been pulled over for a faulty license plate light(late at night), oddly enough after I was released I stopped at a gas station to check it, and it looked fine to me.

And you can go ahead and count me amongst this group of folks. There were a group of us that used to go out on a fairly regular basis. I called them the "beer snobs". Typically the evening would consist of a few beers, dinner, good conversation, and maybe some cards or something. No one ever got out of hand, no one really even ever got tipsy. After a while, one of the main members of this group moved away from the rest of us. One night he went out with some of his new friends, doing the same thing that we used to do. On his way home, he drifted left of center in a construction zone, hit another vehicle head on, killing one of the occupants. He then spent a portion of his life in prison, and will spend the rest of his life dealing with that regret. This is a dude that none of us had never even seen tipsy before.

My point is this, whats done is done. The punishment for JT, in my opinion, is warranted and fair. However, also in my opinion, drinking and getting behind the wheel is NEVER justified. Regardless of how many you have had, and regardless of how far you may or may not be going. Nowadays, Uber has made it so easy to avoid, that it is especially unjustifiable.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong. Doesn't matter to me what other's do. If that's your belief that's fine.

And my best friend was killed by a drunk driver while he was on his motorcycle. People will always do what they want.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong. Doesn't matter to me what other's do. If that's your belief that's fine.

And my best friend was killed by a drunk driver while he was on his motorcycle. People will always do what they want.

You may not be saying it, but *I* am. Drinking and driving is WRONG. If you choose to do it, you are making a selfish, foolish decision and risking not only your own life, but the lives of everyone around you. This is one area where belief really has nothing to do with it.

I have a hard time believing that you actually don't care at all that someone with a license to operate heavy machinery at high speed might do so while under the influence. Especially if you happen to be next to them on the freeway with your family.

Some good news.

Damon Webb has been reinstated

Definitely needed that with Burrows and Smith out. Lattimore has definitely improved in Webb's absence but it was really scary watching 3rd string guys or lower out there against Rutgers late in the game and still seeing some starters in the secondary because they simply didn't have anyone else to go to.

Definitely needed that with Burrows and Smith out. Lattimore has definitely improved in Webb's absence but it was really scary watching 3rd string guys or lower out there against Rutgers late in the game and still seeing some starters in the secondary because they simply didn't have anyone else to go to.

True that. Did we ever learn what was going on with Webb?

You may not be saying it, but *I* am. Drinking and driving is WRONG. If you choose to do it, you are making a selfish, foolish decision and risking not only your own life, but the lives of everyone around you. This is one area where belief really has nothing to do with it.

I have a hard time believing that you actually don't care at all that someone with a license to operate heavy machinery at high speed might do so while under the influence. Especially if you happen to be next to them on the freeway with your family.

Not saying I don't care, but I certainly don't think about it. It's wasted thought on what thousands of people probably do everyday.