Catching up to the times...how to stream games from PC to TV?

1Quik7

I don't have HDTV. I still have either glass boxes or the giant 4:3 projection television.

Was thinking about getting with the times this Xmas and buying a new TV since the damn things are so cheap anymore. I'm curious to know what the best way to stream games to it would be. Ideally I'm going to drop cable and use a ROKU or something along those lines, unfortunately I run a Radeon 7990 in my rig so I think the Shield is out of the question(streaming wise).

Any suggestions? Is it worth it graphics and sociability wise? I've got a fairly nice office setup (3x28" screens, etc.) but I think it might be beneficial to spend time with the "family".

Yeah too laggy unless you use an hdmi cable.

I have no idea about the streaming part, I'm not a gamer, but this is where my mind went when people started bashing streaming here. I would think an HDMI cable should be better and way cheaper, assuming it isn't too difficult to run. I would run a USB cable to behind/under your couch for controls.

http://www.monoprice.com is a great place for parts for a project like this, cables, etc.

You can get a keystone plate with as many places as you need and put in whatever keystone you want; USB, HDMI, etc.

Keys http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=105&cp_id=10426

Plates http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10425

Steam Link is your best bet to play PC on the couch. Steam streaming is local so as long as you have a decent network speed and WIFI router you should be fine. a while back my GPU shit out on me and I had to stream games via stream for about a week and I had little to no lag. Another option (though pricey) would be to buy a steam machine from someplace like Alienware which run off SteamOS. Reviews have been mixed, but its a solid device overall if you can deal with Linux.

Lots of people don't know this, but you can stream games to any Xbox One in your home with a Windows 10 device which is really nice and for the most part lag free.

Microsoft also has a $50 wireless device you can buy here which will allow you to stream to a TV over your home network. Just make sure your TV has a USB port or you get an adapter to power the device.

Hope this helps

A Steam link would be the cheapest way. If you have a spare older PC that works for streaming too. We have an old Dell Optiplex 755 hooked up to our living room PC that works great for streaming. Played through all of the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot using streaming, and I have been playing Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor in bed streaming over WiFi to my old Macbook Pro. Works great, no perceivable lag.

This?

http://gizmodo.com/valves-steam-link-is-a-50-pc-streaming-console-and-its-1689301362

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/

Can you only do Steam games with that, or anything 'playing' on your PC?

I haven't tried anything that isn't a Steam game, but some quick googling says that if you add the game to the Steam launcher it will work just fine.

I am guessing these guys are referring to the roku as laggy because the steam link connected via cat 5 to my network has no discernible lag. You can also use wifi but you would need wireless AC.

I have been playing GTA 5, BO3 etc streaming to my tv just fine.

Chromecast. Its laggy trying to stream 1080p youtube videos sometimes.

Chromecast. Its laggy trying to stream 1080p youtube videos sometimes.

I would be interested to know how far away both devices are from your wireless router. I have a 1st gen Chromecast which is about 10 feet and one wall away from my wireless and I have never seen any lag or skipping

This?

Can you only do Steam games with that, or anything 'playing' on your PC?

According to every article I have read, the Steam Link is only usable on games purchased in your steam library. Below is a decent review for the Steam Link:

The one thing I have never liked about streaming boxes is that you can't use the PC that you are streaming from while you are using the Steam Link. The box is basically just mirring your computers display and if you look over at the main computer you will just see the same image that is on your TV.

I would be interested to know how far away both devices are from your wireless router. I have a 1st gen Chromecast which is about 10 feet and one wall away from my wireless and I have never seen any lag or skipping

According to every article I have read, the Steam Link is only usable on games purchased in your steam library. Below is a decent review for the Steam Link:

The one thing I have never liked about streaming boxes is that you can't use the PC that you are streaming from while you are using the Steam Link. The box is basically just mirring your computers display and if you look over at the main computer you will just see the same image that is on your TV.

[/QUOTe]

Router is in basement almost directly under the tv in the living room. id say each device is less than 10 feet away from the router.