In home pet euthanize suggestions

Aaron

My dog has a cancerous tumor by her butt, diagnosed 8 months ago.

She's been doing great, only projected to have about 4 months when diagnosed, but has lived relatively symptom free (minus excess drinking) for over 8.

We know it'll happen when we don't expect it so we're trying to find a GOOD place that'll put her down in our home. We've called a few places that were recommended to us, and either got no return calls, or they don't offer that service.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

It's an iffy service to find- I would like this as well but haven't found anyone reliable- which is a damn shame

There was a post on Reddit regarding this and this came up with a few votes

http://www.closureathome.com/

Another couple posted

http://www.lessstressvet.com/

Dr.molly works with PetPromise but i have not worked with her personally

http://citypawshomehealth.com/index.html

It's an iffy service to find- I would like this as well but haven't found anyone reliable- which is a damn shame

There was a post on Reddit regarding this and this came up with a few votes

http://www.closureathome.com/

This was recommended to me privately by a trustworthy friend this evening. I'll be contacting them tomorrow to discuss.

And what do you mean "reliable?"

For me personally - it's the nature of things..

I personally don't want to die in a hospital- but know ultimately it's where it will happen.

Ending the life of your bestest companion is hard enough decision to make- doing it in a location they feel safe seems like the most comfortable thing to do.

We don't get to have that option for ourselves.

For me it also has to do with my other two dogs- letting them know "why" Lola isn't going to be here anymore. She looked all over the house for her for days

When Mazey passed away suddenly, Lola, was super depressed for weeks and they weren't even best buddies- more like housemates.

Sorry to hear about it, my gf's dog is 8 and while she just had a tumor removed successfully (the dog not my gf) it kind of made us think of the inevitable.

Just curious, why in home euthanization? Do you think its a comfort factor for the dog?

Thanks. See below.

For me personally - it's the nature of things..

I personally don't want to die in a hospital- but know ultimately it's where it will happen.

Ending the life of your bestest companion is hard enough decision to make- doing it in a location they feel safe seems like the most comfortable thing to do.

We don't get to have that option for ourselves.

For me it also has to do with my other two dogs- letting them know "why" Lola isn't going to be here anymore. She looked all over the house for her for days

When Mazey passed away suddenly, Lola, was super depressed for weeks and they weren't even best buddies- more like housemates.

Exactly this. We have another dog, 2 years younger, and was raised by her from a pup. Zoey (husky) sticks to Lucy (boxer with cancer) like glue for most of the day.

Seems the easiest thing to do it at home.

Trust your vet and let them do it their way. It will be better in the end. I have had to do it myself in past and it haunts me even though I know I did the right thing. I wish you peace.

Dude, he is asking if anyone knows of a vet that will come out and euth the dog, not how to shoot it.....

Very sorry to hear. My Doberman passed away last August from cancer. The last two weeks when he was getting sicker the vet helped me manage him (we gave him pain medication as well as fluid iv's at home) and he passed away in his bed with me there to pet him. It sucked but it was a really nice way for it to go at the same time. I have no real suggestions other than my experience but I wish you the best of luck.

Very sorry to hear. My Doberman passed away last August from cancer. The last two weeks when he was getting sicker the vet helped me manage him (we gave him pain medication as well as fluid iv's at home) and he passed away in his bed with me there to pet him. It sucked but it was a really nice way for it to go at the same time. I have no real suggestions other than my experience but I wish you the best of luck.

I have a Dobie, sorry for your loss. I pray all the time that he will just pass that way. :(

http://www.closureathome.com/About_Us.html

Highly recommended.

We hoped ours would die in her sleep so that we wouldn't have to make that decision but after researching we discovered that most don't go peacefully in their sleep. Unfortunately many more die from organ failure, dehydration, or even starvation because they feel too sick to eat.

Euthanasia was the best choice and having it done at home was the most compassionate thing we could do.

Thanks everyone. She's my wife and I's first dog, and been with us through it all. Raised my brother Doberman, and our Husky from 8 week old pups, and has been a great dog.

It'll suck, but just trying to make it the best for her, and indirectly us.

I got a reply from Jill at Closure via email almost immediately this morning. I sent a reply with more questions and expect an answer today or tomorrow (she's booked all day).

This will likely be the way we go, assuming she's responsive to inquires, etc.

To note, we're unsure when it'll happen, a few weeks or a few months, but want to get things situated before it becomes needed, and we don't have a plan.

Thanks.

The Researcher in me couldnt not look up all the info.

Its a sucky subject to have to try and research.

I cried all morning for all of us.

City Paws

$172-312 Cat >25lbs

$206-360 based on weight, and aftercare

Works with Schoedinger Funeral Home for after care

Dr. Molly does the Euthanasia

Injection based, not IV Based Euthanasia

Generally speaking appts are 1-3 days out, some days can be same day

works with Schoedinger Funeral Home

Emergency Euth is possible (associated emergency fee possible)

Less Stress Vet

$170-290 Cat

$170-470 Dog*

*based on weight, aftercare and miles to your location

Unknown/Assumed Dr Taylor does Euth

Unknow Method of euth (they left me a message, did not speak directly with them to be able to ask questions)

Works with PetCremations (will handle transportation to PetCremations)

Does not do Emergency Euthanasia, Appointments are about a week out

Closure

Thier voicemailbox is full- Ill attempt to email them.

*Funeral/Cremation services

We have used PetCremations twice now, and found them reasonably priced and respectful

PetCremations Columbus

Schoedinger Funeral Pet Services

http://schoedingerpetservices.com/