Lets Talk Surgery

acklac7

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't read the whole thread, but DAMN!!! that does look like it fucking HURTS! I read your post about the 3 days after and it reminded me of my sinus surgery. Same deal. On day 3 I was about to call 911 it hurt so bad.

Just waiting on Jason to come in and see this and comment. Between the two of you I bet the stories would bring me to my knees in pain just thinking about them.

Good luck on the recovery.

Do you recall your timeframe to be walking without any assistance? I was on crutches for 3 weeks, and working on transitioning to a cane for 3-4 days now...I just can't do it for long distances. Also, how long has it been, and are you back to where you were before the injury, or are you limited in some things/still feel it in there?

Not a common injury, like a broken arm or something, so I haven't found too many people to ask.

I had a compound fracture on my right femur back in 2009, it took a good month to be able to move around well. I remember it being a chore to do 50 yards or so, then it seemed to come back all at once. Just stay at it and keep doing your short walks.

Jonathan feibel and Robert gorseline

Lee and berlet do a good job too, but are very aggressive with surgery. I wouldn't go to a podiatrist for anything but a corn or ingrown toenail or plantar fasciitis.

I loved Dr Berlet for my broken Ankle in my motorcycle accident, dude loves to explain everything and loves his own voice. Never had a short answer to a question. He never did surgery on me though.

Dr Paul Cook on the other hand, (pun intended) pretty sure we helped buy his R8, back then he hardly took INS, and we paid out of pocket... 4 surgeries. He has a huge practice up here in Westerville now.

I had a compound fracture on my right femur back in 2009, it took a good month to be able to move around well. I remember it being a chore to do 50 yards or so, then it seemed to come back all at once. Just stay at it and keep doing your short walks.

Today is actually 2 months from surgery. I've been walking without even a cane now for about 2 weeks. Even built up the courage to take the stairs at work. 5 flights to my floor. Did it twice yesterday, once today. Hip was a little sore today after doing it so I used the elevator later on. I've still got a little pain in my hip, but 2-4 ibuprofen and maybe a couple tylenol per day and I'm ok. No visible limping, but I can also tell that I'm not walking 100% normal. Maybe 90-95%. I'm still amazed at this much progress in 60 days.

WTF was wrong with your foot to need that....Holy shit that's crazy.

And LEt me tell you...Ive had three back surgeries in the last 2 years with the last being about 1 year ago....and I have almost no disc left in one of my Lumbar Vertebrae and I have fought with the docs about my chronic pain almost every month. I have been on an opioid pain medication off and on for nearly the entire time after the last surgery. SOme days Im good.....Most days I have trouble standing up straight without back and leg/Nerve pain. The trouble people with true chronic pain have getting proper dosages of effective medicine is crazy in Ohio because of all the damn BS pill heads here. I am scheduled for another surgery next month for a fusion in my back to try to relieve some of the nerve issues I have. If I could get rid of 50% of my pain level on the typical daily....I think I can live with that. I was hoping to have a disc replacement done where I have almost no disc, but with the 3 prior surgeries on the same level, They have removed too much bone and I actually have a current fracture in there and I am just not a candidate for a disc replacement because I will have stability issues the doc says....But I still question that. Unfortunately, with the insurance I have, I am very limited to where I can have surgery at and to my knowledge there is only one Dr. in Dayton who does the disk replacement and since he says I cant get it, I guess imstuff getting a fusion at age 38. I've put it off for almost 2 years, but I just cant keep going on like I am and I need some permanent relief. I wish I had another surgeon I could see about the Disc replacement as a second opinion....but unfortunately I think I'm going to be stuck in my options to the fusion. It really sucks that in America we are able to perform surgeries that most places in the world cant do but we are also screwed by our own healthcare system which is rigged up so bad to benefit the insurance companies instead of the patient who gets substandard care as they tie the Dr's Hands as to the options they allow them to do.

OK....Enough rambling....Damn That Pic of your toes is scary....You should never wear sandals.....Evar.

I have an inherited Nueropathy/Muscular Dystrophy (C.M.T). As I stated earlier i've had this condition/Deformity since I was a child, however it never really affected me that much. Starting about 4 years ago things started going down hill, rapidly. Got to the point I pretty much had a tripod for a left foot.

http://i.imgur.com/X5KfNdR.jpg?1

my brother has hammer toes, he always contemplated surgery, im going to show him this pic and he will never contemplate surgery ever again.

I passed on this procedure when I was 15, as I really wasn't having any problems.

Fast forward to the mobility problems im having now, and Surgery was an absolute no-brainer. Literally giggity with excitement that im going to have semi-functional toes again. My left foot was in rough, rough shape, basically was walking on a tripod:

http://i.imgur.com/IR3AoVs.jpg

And LEt me tell you...Ive had three back surgeries in the last 2 years with the last being about 1 year ago....and I have almost no disc left in one of my Lumbar Vertebrae and I have fought with the docs about my chronic pain almost every month. I have been on an opioid pain medication off and on for nearly the entire time after the last surgery. SOme days Im good.....Most days I have trouble standing up straight without back and leg/Nerve pain. The trouble people with true chronic pain have getting proper dosages of effective medicine is crazy in Ohio because of all the damn BS pill heads here. I am scheduled for another surgery next month for a fusion in my back to try to relieve some of the nerve issues I have. If I could get rid of 50% of my pain level on the typical daily....I think I can live with that. I was hoping to have a disc replacement done where I have almost no disc, but with the 3 prior surgeries on the same level, They have removed too much bone and I actually have a current fracture in there and I am just not a candidate for a disc replacement because I will have stability issues the doc says....But I still question that. Unfortunately, with the insurance I have, I am very limited to where I can have surgery at and to my knowledge there is only one Dr. in Dayton who does the disk replacement and since he says I cant get it, I guess imstuff getting a fusion at age 38. I've put it off for almost 2 years, but I just cant keep going on like I am and I need some permanent relief. I wish I had another surgeon I could see about the Disc replacement as a second opinion....but unfortunately I think I'm going to be stuck in my options to the fusion. It really sucks that in America we are able to perform surgeries that most places in the world cant do but we are also screwed by our own healthcare system which is rigged up so bad to benefit the insurance companies instead of the patient who gets substandard care as they tie the Dr's Hands as to the options they allow them to do.

OK....Enough rambling....Damn That Pic of your toes is scary....You should never wear sandals.....Evar.

I'm in the same boat man. Nasty car accident in late july. Surgery in early November. Hurts as much today as pre surgery. I have been off and on percs for the better part of 7 months. Calling the doc tomorrow to try and figure out if a fusion is in order. Tired of being stuck on the couch when the wife and kids are outside playing.

• 8 months later...
OP, I hope your surgery and recovery go amazingly well. The pain is worth it if it works.

The Pain was well, well worth it. Surgery was literally life-changing.

Fast-forward nearly 9 months: No pain, none. Im back fucking jogging again. I haven't been able to Jog in two years, and honestly had given up hope of ever doing so again. Shit walking itself was getting to be challenging.

First two months WB (weight bearing) were a Bastard. Basically had to learn how to walk again. Also had to deal with constant swelling and heel pain for a solid 4 months thereafter. Walked with a noticeable limp almost all summer. Wasn't fun. I played it smart, kept activity minimal and did alot of Physical Therapy in the pool. Helped immensely (funny, my Physical Therapist never mentioned hydrotherapy).

Now, 8 months later and no pain what so ever. No limping what so ever. No swelling what so ever. Maybe some slight irritation in my heel every once in a blue moon. But im damn near 100% recovered.

Worst part of everything was not being told nor prepared for Recovery. My Surgeon (who did an Excellent Job on my foot btw) basically left me with the impression I'd be cleared to Hike in May. Yea, definitely delt with excessive swelling, significant limping and frequent bouts of Pain up until September. He also never advised me of the fact that I would have to re-learn how to walk, and just how difficult/unnerving that process would be. That said, he fixed my foot but damn good; Im going to buy him a Christmas Present (seriously).

All-in-All I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by acklac7

The Pain was well, well worth it. Surgery was literally life-changing.

Fast-forward nearly 9 months: No pain, none. Im back fucking jogging again. I haven't been able to Jog in two years, and honestly had given up hope of ever doing so again. Shit walking itself was getting to be challenging.

First two months WB (weight bearing) were a Bastard. Basically had to learn how to walk again. Also had to deal with constant swelling and heel pain for a solid 4 months thereafter. Walked with a noticeable limp almost all summer. Wasn't fun. I played it smart, kept activity minimal and did alot of Physical Therapy in the pool. Helped immensely (funny, my Physical Therapist never mentioned hydrotherapy).

Now, 8 months later and no pain what so ever. No limping what so ever. No swelling what so ever. Maybe some slight irritation in my heel every once in a blue moon. But im damn near 100% recovered.

Worst part of everything was not being told nor prepared for Recovery. My Surgeon (who did an Excellent Job on my foot btw) basically left me with the impression I'd be cleared to Hike in May. Yea, definitely delt with excessive swelling, significant limping and frequent bouts of Pain up until September. He also never advised me of the fact that I would have to re-learn how to walk, and just how difficult/unnerving that process would be. That said, he fixed my foot but damn good; Im going to buy him a Christmas Present (seriously).

All-in-All I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Just curious, if your surgeon didn't warn you of the recovery time needed and process then how did you go about your recovery? Did you see a separate physical therapist unrelated to the surgeon?

It's great to hear that surgery has had such a positive affect on your quality of life.

Just curious, if your surgeon didn't warn you of the recovery time needed and process then how did you go about your recovery?

Did you see a separate physical therapist unrelated to the surgeon?

Well...

At first I bitched. That got me nowhere, fast.

Second, I tried working with my Physical therapist. He was fresh out of med-school (as was my Surgeon) and was honestly trying his best. I can't fault him. He worked with me on exercises (which I continue to this day) but was pretty much at a loss on how things would end up.

He straight up asked me: What are your expectations from Surgery?

I told him: I want to be able to Jog again.

He looked me in the eye and said: I'm not sure that's going to be able to happen.

He was wrong.

That said there was zero communication between my Surgeon and my Psychical therapist post-surgery. Both were good guys, trying their best, but they just lacked post-op experience?

In the end it was Support of my Family, first and Foremost. Quickly followed by my own research, self-determination, and HYDROTHERAPY that helped get me through.

Last but not least. And this deserves a Separate post. It was my Friends in Chatbox who made the difference.

When there was nothing to smile about, they made me smile.

When there was nothing Positive to talk about, they provided a channel for something Positive

That Smile on my Face, along with the Positivity (and the great lulz), made all the difference in the world.

Thanks for being a Friend, Grant.

There's some good people on here. :thumbup: