• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me down to purchase one Bowie knife made of

Dragon glass.

Winter is coming ya know.

:thumbup:

Your shit is looking better and better, Randy. I'm going to want to buy something from you...perhaps as soon as Christmas.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. Just text me whenever. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Black palm handle. The most challenging wood I've worked with to date (insert pun here). It's VERY brittle/fibrous. Often called "porcupine wood". The black lines are actually quill like and appear as dots on the ends. I LOVE the look of it though. I had this rough shaped and was getting ready to hand sand it all the way to 2000 grit but decided I liked the look so I just waxed/polished it. I have another I believe I'll sand smooth.

21687530_1656416954382053_2872275191692740191_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Last week we went on our annual family vacay to TN. A friend of the fam owns a private cabin in the mountains outside of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Every year the week after Thanksgiving we go up (down?) there with my folks. This year some other friends of ours were in town at the same time and told my dad they went by a shop that had, "a forge or something from that knife making show on tv." Turns out it was Robby Bowman from Forged in Fire. He was on Season 3 then voted back by fans of the show for a "fans pick" on Season 4.

Anyway, he wasn't there last Thursday when dad and I went, but I got to work with others he's taught anyway. Here's my first ever forged piece.

Forging.jpg

I DID get to meet him when the wife and I went back by the next day. SUPER chill guy and great to talk to. Got a pic with him I guess I could post but whatever. Anyway, I'm hoping 2018 will bring me a forge and anvil and I'll be making knives 100% from scratch. The tobacco pipes are likely going to be another endeavor altogether.

Edited by Otis Nice

• 1 month later...

Started working with a local bladesmith. Here's the first knife I forged 100% by myself. The spike knife was forged but the work I did was limited by the shop, etc. Here I was doing ALL of the work, which was nice. The top pic is the steel straight from the forge/anvil. The bottom is after the first profile grind.

Forged1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I may have missed it, but do you have a website with all of your work featured?

Right now everything is on Instagram. I haven't messed with making a site. IG and FB are free and great marketing tools.

@chieftainforge on IG. Need to redo a FB page.

What's an instagram? Lulz. Sorry, FB is more than enough social bs for me.

Oh man, I actually prefer Instagram over FB by FAR. Even if folks follow you ya don't have to follow them back, see their crap, etc. It's also much cleaner IMO.