A new hobby.

Otis Nice

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome. How dafuq do you form an anvil.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

LOL. No clue. To clarify, I didn't form THAT anvil (or any others). It's just the first one I'll be using at my own forge.

My wife's grandfather had it sitting in his garage. He is loaning it to me for as long as I need. I started cleaning it up last night.

Started setting up the shop last night as well. About a year ago I found someone getting rid of a solid wood door with a window. Perfect. I instantly had the idea of removing the window so I could place a trashcan underneath and save floor space in my tiny shop. My entire shop is about 90% reused materials. The bench legs are posts from dads deck we ripped out.

35882674_357658381424294_3677012233289728000_n.jpg

Today I went back up to work with with Sxott of Sxott Knives. I spent HOURS hand sanding my first from scratch blade and we also sharpened it, sliced through newspaper with ease, tested the edge by chopping through oak, and acid etched it. The hamon came out really nice.

35930071_358516831338449_8995572533457584128_n.jpg

IMG_20180623_152251.jpg

36003302_358538258002973_2626328289110654976_n.jpg

Edited by Otis Nice

• 1 month later...

The new shop still isn't ready so I can't finish anything but I needed to get rid of some stress tonight so I decided to go ahead and fire up the forge, grab some old channel locks and the new 3 pound HF hammer I'd bought, and start working on something. Still needs some work but it's a start. This is also the first time I've worked on forging a piece with nobody around to ask for guidance.

37748581_387725585084240_338515071569231872_n.jpg

37798233_387729455083853_5249024513357643776_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Wow all of this is awesome!

Have you looked at the Idea Foundry? It seems like it would be your playground [emoji846]

https://ideafoundry.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I have looked into the Idea Foundry but currently I'm fortunate enough to apprentice one on one with an accomplished smith and he isn't charging me so I haven't really looked into it in depth.

Thanks!

I have looked into the Idea Foundry but currently I'm fortunate enough to apprentice one on one with an accomplished smith and he isn't charging me so I haven't really looked into it in depth.

Nice deal [emoji846] I looked at it just to fabricate a few car parts but my skills aren't there and cost isn't worth it based on how much I'd use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I was approached by a friend of a friend who owns http://www.currysantiques.com to do live blacksmithing demonstrations on her property (Sept. 21st and 22nd) which has 7 cabins and a TON of antiques from 1770-1830 New England at her 5 events a year since her former blacksmith was forced to retire. This really pushed me outside of my original idea of solely bladesmithing....and I love it.

Thanks to Sxott of Sxott Knives (a friend of Tom/POS Vette's) we are tackling this task together. We are working on making more than just blades using nothing but heat, a hammer, traditional blacksmithing tools, and an anvil. We're making j-hooks, leaf pendants/key chains, cross pendants, (and for other shows where we have more time to prep) door knockers, hinges, handles, etc. Anything a colonial blacksmith was responsible for making.

This week I had a flase alarm for the new baby that I left work a little early for then after that Sxott drove down to my little forge and we got to work.

J_Hook.jpg

Sxott.jpg

Cross.jpg

I still want to make a lot of knives but I'll be damned if traditional blacksmithing in general isn't a blast and hasn't piqued my interest even more.

That's some cool shit.

Thank you.

Kickin' it old school earlier today and tomorrow. Coal forge with some REALLY old tools and anvil. 10:00-3:00. Her house/cabins and antiques are 1770-1830 New England. Lot of original pieces. We're blacksmithing and selling things. I highly recommend the house tour at 11:00 if anyone comes out. No cost for admission.

http://www.currysantiques.com

1333 Rockmill Rd NW

Lancaster, OH

Curry_s.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My cousin has a booth at Pumpkin Show on main street so I decided to try and unload some forged hooks. Tried my hand at wood burning. First time ever trying it and did it all free hand. Figured folks pay a LOT for pumpkin related crap for some reason at p-show so why not?

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the ol' coal forge at Curry's Antiques today. If y'all are into New England antiques and cabin's circa 1770-1830 you need to check it out and make it to one of the 5 events she has throughout the year. Be sure to try and make it to a home tour if you come. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for coming out and supporting, Mitch.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Otis Nice

• 2 weeks later...

What you're looking at is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Thanks for sharing. Wish I didn't have so much to do and so little money. :( Redoing main power lines and rewiring some things at our cabin that day I think. Only day dad and I can get out there.

I'll keep an eye out for this guy though. I REALLY appreciate you thinking of me.

Working on some money makers and looking forward to getting back to knives this winter.

Gate/cabinet/door latch made tonight after work. Hope to get the other 2 pieces done tomorrow.

7.jpg

Another treble clef hook. Every time I make one of these they don't last long. This one is a bit longer. Still with a twist.

8.jpg

My humble forge and anvil. I can't complain. I bought the forge used for nearly half the cost of new and it'd been used 4 times. The rest of what you see was donated.

9.jpg