WTB: Walk behind 2-3 Blade Mower

IVRINGS

Well we are moving at the end of the month and I'm going to be needing a mower. The sale of our old home the new owners requested the mower for not updating the electrical in the house to have grounds. Now the new house does have a big down hill off the back of the house that I will need to mow. Does anyone have something they would like to sell? Wife is giving me a budget of $5-600. Let me know if you have anything that would work. I'll post a picture of the back side in a few.

They will be laying down sod on everything due to the drop off. So here are the photos. Lawn people let me know if this is not what I need.

Top looking down

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/e437e33cfc6b77b615714d73becf8bd7.jpg

Bottom looking up.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/d60716b82af0a97fc98dd6455bddef79.jpg

I think a winch up at the house attached to a push mower is what you want, damn.

Edit - seriously though, I'd put little terraced flower beds back there and not mow it all the way down.

Edited by spankis

http://thewondrous.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Heart-Attack.jpg

You're going to get a workout doing "hills" every time you mow! :lol:

Srsly, Trey...I have to agree with the others. There is nothing about that non-grassy hill and dense shrubs at the bottom that would make me want to have it grassed. If kids played there, all they'd be doing is tumbling down hill after the balls that rolled there.

I think terraced beds is a great way to use that hillside, as well as prevent further erosion (as evidenced from your bottom-looking-up picture).

See if you can get a partial credit for the sod and labor, and put that towards better management of at least the steepest part of that hill.

I think a winch up at the house attached to a push mower is what you want, damn.

Edit - seriously though, I'd put little terraced flower beds back there and not mow it all the way down.

That is kinda what we are thinking we might end up doing if not a ground cover something. Would be a great drunken slip and slide!

Is it a reasonable thing to level off the back yard with a retaining wall? create a "lower level" gathering/sitting/outside fire pit area?

Expensive option, but better than that back yard as is...

Also the builder is going to be sodding the whole thing as they are still going to smooth out everything they can, but I know they are not going to fix the slope much. So that will fix the erosion part. It will look a lot like the lot next to ours. The side load 3 car garage pushed it back more then we wanted, but it was the only way to get it approved in the whole neighborhood. The wife's best friend connects to the side yard next to the house so the location worked. We also thought about half way up or something doing a large deck to flatten it out some also.

Is it a reasonable thing to level off the back yard with a retaining wall? create a "lower level" gathering/sitting/outside fire pit area?

Expensive option, but better than that back yard as is...

Yeah that is also been a topic also, but nothing planed out yet.

I shudder at the thought of the price of a retaining wall/walls there. I know what I was quoted for a tiny one....
Yeah I know, but we aren't thinking of moving any time soon.

It really doesn't look that steep from the pics. Once they smooth n did it out you shouldn't have any problem using a riding mower on it or push if you like
im hoping so. The next door lot was mowed with a zero turn, but that isn't in the budget. I was thinking with a regular rider it might be to top heavy. I hope you are right.

you know, I'm no lawn care expert, but when I was a kid, my grandparents kept a camper on lake Erie all summer. It sat on the edge of a hill and there was probably a 30' drop down to the lake where the boats launched from. I asked my dad how the grass going down the hillside was always mowed short, as it would be a huge PITA to mow up/down. he told me that mowing hills, you mow sideways.

from what I'm reading here, it sounds like everyone is thinking you should be mowing up/down. I feel like it'd be a hell of a lot easier mowing it sideways.

you know, I'm no lawn care expert, but when I was a kid, my grandparents kept a camper on lake Erie all summer. It sat on the edge of a hill and there was probably a 30' drop down to the lake where the boats launched from. I asked my dad how the grass going down the hillside was always mowed short, as it would be a huge PITA to mow up/down. he told me that mowing hills, you mow sideways.

from what I'm reading here, it sounds like everyone is thinking you should be mowing up/down. I feel like it'd be a hell of a lot easier mowing it sideways.

You can see the person next door does the same.

You can see the person next door does the same.

I noticed that pic as well, if your yard will be the same slope as theirs, it won't be bad to mow at all. Mow sideways, not up and down. There's nothing quite like hitting a wet spot mowing down hill and starting an uncontrollable slide toward whatever danger lies at the bottom.

If it's to steep to mow sideways, you probably shouldn't be mowing it.

Though I have to admit, growing up in Athens county, I've mowed many an area either sitting on the uphill fender, or making a desperate turn at the bottom because there was just enough room.

Have fun!

if you have the luck I do you'll need that warranty. Mine's not even 3 years old and has horrible issues with starting that I've been dealing with for a year now. Part of me thinks it's the shop but at the same rate they've got it running all 5x I've had it in there and I'll get to mow once before it decides it won't start again