winodws question, how to fix corrupt drivers?

pontiacfreak142

so im fixing up this dell computer for my parents before i go get my own.my dad mention that it needed a new cd drive because it wouldnt read. decided to check the drivers first and of course it says they are corrupt. tried updating them and it just says they already are. tried uninstalling them, but it seems as if it just hides them? (hit "find hidden files" and it pops right back up as corrupt). I have also tried manually searching the web for new drivers, but the only thing that seems to come up are these driver detector programs, but even they just say its up to date and wont let me do anything.

what do i need to do to fix this thing? lol

by the way its windows vista

Try a new CD drive. Try a different port.

I would diagnose the CD drive first on the driver side. Can you boot to a CD using the drive? if so, the Windows is to blame.

Try different ports on the Motherboard as well. if it's a SATA connector then just try a different one, also... replace the SATA cable if all else fails to rule out a bad cable.