2055, US is invaded and over run

Mojoe

Are you out there "hustling" right now?

We see different things. I'm glad you are seeing people working harder and smarter. I would be interested to see the info and work you are involved with. Is that an option?

Always and forever. Hustle is simply a lifestyle Joe.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only read half the thread, but I cant help but to think that if government assistance was taken away and people actually had to fend for themselves, that would help. What would also help would be to bring jobs back to America (in relation to cutting off government assistance) by raising the import taxes so high that they can't afford to operate out of country. That begs another problem today, wages (not minimum wage), but that is another discussion.

I have only read half the thread, but I cant help but to think that if government assistance was taken away and people actually had to fend for themselves, that would help. What would also help would be to bring jobs back to America (in relation to cutting off government assistance) by raising the import taxes so high that they can't afford to operate out of country. That begs another problem today, wages (not minimum wage), but that is another discussion.

Yet, I was working at a job I landed at Polaris and stopped for lunch at Arby's Sat. Saw a couple about my age looked liked with 2 kids begging for anything. I thought to myself, you can easily get a weekend job and not have to do this. The effort and payout could be the same. I'm working and don't have either responsibility. But a handout is the easy way out.

As I've said on many occasions:

Now in my 30s, with a family and a career I love, I have time/energy/resources for a few things:

1) Myself

2) My family

3) My business

4) A few causes that are close to my heart (local and global)

The rest of the world can go fuck itself. :kisses:

Just because social media and a 24/7/365 media spotlight shows so many problems in our society and world in general, doesn't mean I should, would, will, or COULD care. Not ageist, generational, racist, sexist, etc...just can't heal all the wounds with the resources I control.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joe, I don't know what to tell you...only you can look at a steadily decreasing unemployment rate and a decreasing public assistance rate and extrapolate that more and more people are unemployed and lazy.

This is all in your head, the only thing consistent and comforting is that the older you get the more you sound like my depression era grandparents. Truth is people are no more or less lazy than they have always been, but the jobs have migrated from manual labor to virtual, just as they moved from farms to cities in the twenties and thirties. We are just repeating the age old cycle, just as you are repeating the same feelings generations before you when they ceased to be able to relate to youth culture.

You kids get off of my LAAAAWN!

Given the direction I took my life, having a family is not something that will be happening. My contribution, if it is even that, is picking up where parents leave off.

it's easy to sit back and point out other's mistakes and think you have the solution....raising kids isn't near as easy as you might think and unless you are a parent there's no way you can have a concept of what it's like. It's a non-stop lesson from day 1 and there are no instruction manuals. It only gets harder the older they get too. People talk about the "terrible 2's" but those are actually some of the easiest years. A kid pitching a fit over a sucker in the supermarket is a lot easier to fix than a boy going through his first girl troubles at school where you wonder if it's going to fuck him up for the rest of his life. I will agree that some people that have kids made a terrible decision. I wouldn't let some watch my dog for the weekend much less raise a kid.

As if I posted "CR members that are Gen Y and X don't contribute shit". Today, I saw a twenty year old guy and father of a baby girl, lose his best option he had going for him and his family. It blows my mind that someone would risk all that, and not pass a drug test. I'm seeing it more than I have before, and it frustrates me. When you tell them they are done, they are crushed and say they have nothing now. Well why the fuck would you do drugs then? Is it their parents fault? No. It's them. They have to own it, and I'm sitting there watching them be devastated, and then ask for a second chance. Why do people think they get a do over?

I vented in the kitchen on CR and got the back lash expected from people that are not the problem. There are issues with all generations, and some will always be more prevalent in certain generations than in others.

As if I posted "CR members that are Gen Y and X don't contribute shit". Today, I saw a twenty year old guy and father of a baby girl, lose his best option he had going for him and his family. It blows my mind that someone would risk all that, and not pass a drug test. I'm seeing it more than I have before, and it frustrates me. When you tell them they are done, they are crushed and say they have nothing now. Well why the fuck would you do drugs then? Is it their parents fault? No. It's them. They have to own it, and I'm sitting there watching them be devastated, and then ask for a second chance. Why do people think they get a do over?

I vented in the kitchen on CR and got the back lash expected from people that are not the problem. There are issues with all generations, and some will always be more prevalent in certain generations than in others.

Joe, whether you realize it or not you are feeling compassion for someone in a bad situation. You are angry at how they fucked it up and trying to blame a whole generation for the emotion you are feeling from this one situation. I'm proud of you buddy, compassion and sympathy for your fellow man feel like they are in short supply these days, esp in situations like this.

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not but I think when it comes down to employment and substance abuse, as a society we have actually become less forgiving. There was a time when it was socially tolerated to drink on the job as long as it didn't interfere with ones work product. as programs like AA and CA developed and tort law held more companies accountable for the actions of their employees, it became harder to socially justify giving people a second chance. I'm surprised the place employing this kid didn't offer probation and rehab as a possible option, but if the job was something that involved operation of machinery I can sort of see why they wouldn't.

Everybody at some point suffers for the inability to get out of their own way. It's human nature. It has always happened and it always will. If it is any consolation I'm sure the guy will end up ok in the end, it's just going to be hard going for him for a while. Hopefully he will learn a lesson from this. If you want to feel better about the situation maybe offer to help the guy get some rehab counseling. There could be a chance that he's self medicating to deal with some problems in his life, or he could have just been a kid and fucked up, either way some rehab might show his next employer that he put this behind him.

Point is joe, what you are seeing is nothing new. It's happened for generations and will continue to happen for generations, it's not a sign that one generation is lazier than the last, but may be indicative that as a society we have become less tolerant of people's mistakes when it comes to drugs and alcohol. I'm sorry that you are frustrated with the situation, it's a bummer for sure, but you'll get over it too. I'm not saying you need to take on the worlds problems but, sometimes a little of the right help in the right situation can go a long way too.

Joe, I don't know what to tell you...only you can look at a steadily decreasing unemployment rate and a decreasing public assistance rate and extrapolate that more and more people are unemployed and lazy.

You're joking, right?

The unemployment rate is not a real statistic...it only counts those that are actively seeking employment. It does NOT count the 3mm+ ABLE workers that have simply stopped looking for a job. The real unemployment rate is much higher than the one being shoved through the media touting POTUS as doing a great job on employment woes.

http://www.epi.org/publication/missing-workers/

https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/516-economic-policy-institute/

I even sourced it through a left leaning organization :lol:

-Marc

I work with the Mid-Ohio Food Bank and Greater Cleveland Food Bank, and the demand hasn't been this high since the Great Recession for community assistance. I do think the infrastructure development is a very good thing (not necessarily a drain on society) but you cannot say that the economy is getting better. Tax revenues are going up, but the costs of societal support are climbing even further.

Kerry, for a guy that types A LOT on this forum, you need to back up your comments on decreasing public need.

To touch upon Joe's lamentations: I work with a lot of companies that cannot manage their growth because of the lack of qualified candidates. Sounds like a great job market, but if young people have inflated expectations about how much they can make, their continued freedom to use drugs, and where/when they can work, they're going to be disappointed and corporate/manufacturing productivity will decline.

You're joking, right?

The unemployment rate is not a real statistic...it only counts those that are actively seeking employment. It does NOT count the 3mm+ ABLE workers that have simply stopped looking for a job.

Really, you want to have a political discussion in the middle of Joe's rant about "Kids these days"? fine. Statistics collected by the BLS do include the able workers that have stopped looking for a job - that's called the "Not In Labor Force" and is reported on. This 3mm+ workers you and the EPI are talking about as "missing workers"? that the error rate for the total data set, so 3mm out of 159286000 estimated total work force is a 1.8% error rate. that is what is meant by missing workers - not accounted for in any of the BLS stats (which do account for people not in the labor force).

The real unemployment rate is much higher than the one being shoved through the media touting POTUS as doing a great job on employment woes.

The "Fake" unemployment rate, as you imply, is a real statistic - it is the number of people who are unemployed and looking for work. Your implications that it is not credible are not a problem with the data but the interpretation. Should it be the appropriate focus? eh, I am not pleased about it either, because I feel like it is constantly quoted out of context and you need the full picture to appreciate the data. The "real" unemployment rate is still calculated by the BLS and is still publicly published but is not as widely disseminated. If you look at the rate of change between 2009 and 2015 (10% unemployment to 5.4% unemployment) you see a 4.6% change and a corresponding increase in the NiLF numbers of 3.3% (66.1% to 62.8%). But from 2015 to 2016 there has been a continued drop in unemployment and not a corresponding change in the NiLF number. An there are still outside factors to consider like there is no way to separate a housewife or retiree who is NiLF and someone who has just given up on job hunting - which is why we look at social welfare program rate as well to give some more context to the data. Currently Food stamps and unemployment payments are in decline, but social security is up so - extrapolate from that what you will.

The BLS has some great statistics engines, you should go play with it sometime: http://www.bls.gov/

you keep wanting to have a "political" discussion where a facts based discussion is warranted. You seem proud that you used a "lefty" source as if it would invalidate me some how but really it weakens your point because you have an politically charged organization trying to use the error rate to raise ire about social concerns.

BTW, my original point was Joe probably didn't look at any of this, he's seen a few real life examples that tugged at his heart strings and his way of coping with the anger and frustration of watching people not be able to get out of their own way is to blame a generation for laziness.

Clay: actually I think public need is increasing but in ways we haven't seen before due to advancements in the labor force. Prior to the 1950's having a criminal background was not a bar on employment because it was more common (courts did not have to provide for counsel prior to 1961) and it was easy to cheat the system because the records were hard to get. Now it is a death sentence to employment because our record keeping and sharing has improved and societal change has become less forgiving of an errant past. I don't think the people are changing, or at least not changing as fast as society's expectations on them.

Clay: actually I think public need is increasing but in ways we haven't seen before due to advancements in the labor force. Prior to the 1950's having a criminal background was not a bar on employment because it was more common (courts did not have to provide for counsel prior to 1961) and it was easy to cheat the system because the records were hard to get. Now it is a death sentence to employment because our record keeping and sharing has improved and societal change has become less forgiving of an errant past. I don't think the people are changing, or at least not changing as fast as society's expectations on them.

I do agree with you that we have "overcriminalized" elements of society, which contributed to the poor getting poorer (black and white). I remember hearing an interview recently where a 30-year police captain was saying how America has had a DARE/criminalization-of-drug-use policy for decades, which generationally affected black people in America - but once opioid abuse (think Oxycontin, Methadone) went mainstream in the heartland of white America and Chillicothe started shooting up each others' meth labs, now we preach tolerance and understanding for drug use. :lol:

Lots of people make errors in personal choice back before '00s that would've been brushed under a rug by our friends/family prior to social media being in everyones' faces.

Still, America is a land of salvation for many in today's world. I see people cleaning buildings, picking up trash in a jetliner when I'm exiting a flight, and doing more menial - though vital - jobs for society (think Mike Rowe and "Dirty Jobs"). In many instances, these are people that are only 1-2 generations into their lives in America, and doing a job without complaint that white/black America wouldn't touch.

I do agree with you that we have "overcriminalized" elements of society, which contributed to the poor getting poorer (black and white). I remember hearing an interview where a 30-year police captain was saying how America has had a DARE/criminalization-of-drug-use policy for decades, which generationally affected black people in America - but once opioid abuse (think Oxycontin, Methadone) went mainstream in the heartland of white America and Chillicothe started shooting up each others' meth labs, now we preach tolerance and understanding for drug use. :lol:

Lots of people make errors in personal choice back before '00s that would've been brushed under a rug by our friends/family prior to social media being in everyones' faces.

Still, America is a land of salvation for many in today's world. I see people cleaning buildings, picking up trash in a jetliner when I'm exiting a flight, and doing more menial - though vital - jobs for society (think Mike Rowe and "Dirty Jobs"). In many instances, these are people that are only 1-2 generations into their lives in America, and doing a job without complaint that white/black America wouldn't touch.

By far my favorite post.

Hey Clay, have you had the experience in your bank of re-running background checks and people losing their jobs because of it? Seen this recently where new, more advanced, background checks are picking up some really old things in people's permanent records and affecting their employment. In some cases we are talking about employees with a decade or more with their companies. Makes me really sad.

Hey Clay, have you had the experience in your bank of re-running background checks and people losing their jobs because of it? Seen this recently where new, more advanced, background checks are picking up some really old things in people's permanent records and affecting their employment. In some cases we are talking about employees with a decade or more with their companies. Makes me really sad.

No, but I'm not in HR...and at this point I believe any access to information that people make public can be used against them. I second-guess making posts on FB about happy hour/social get-togethers simply because it could be used against me if someone wanted to.

With great power (control over our lives and unfettered access to information), comes great responsibility.

No, but I'm not in HR...

I'm not either, I have been seeing it happen with peers across the industry. It recently happened to someone I had a close working relationship with and it was heartbreaking.

Not that it's any excuse for laziness, but the playing field is hardly as level as it once was. In the 50's and 60's it was common for dad to work 40 hours at his fairly low-skill job and be able to provide for his family. He had a nice house in a quiet neighborhood. His wife didn't work. She stayed home and raised kids. They bought a new car every few years. It was what earned us the reputation of being the "Land of Milk and Honey." If you were willing to get out of bed and earn a dollar, middle class luxury was almost assured. This is not the case anymore. Those jobs don't exist in the number necessary for that kind of lifestyle, at least not on that scale.

I don't think people got more lazy. I think they've lost hope.

I work at an OSU campus restaurant and have 18-24 year olds filter through rather frequently. At my job you get weekly bonuses based off of the amount of business that we get. In essence if you work your butt off to make more food you make more money each week. It's easy to say that 85 percent of the kids that come through are lazy as hell and can ask their parents to support them if it gets to hard.

On the other hand the 15 percent of people that really want to work and make it go above and beyond expectations and are doing all that they can to max out their paycheck each week. I would say the majority of this 15 percent could easily use their family as a financial back bone if they chose to but, they want to make it on their own.

Seeing as how we're moving into a society where less and less jobs are becoming available, I don't see it as a huge issue. People that don't want to work are going to be replaced by machines and kiosks while the people that do want to work and make it will find a job for themselves.

I work at an OSU campus restaurant and have 18-24 year olds filter through rather frequently. At my job you get weekly bonuses based off of the amount of business that we get. In essence if you work your butt off to make more food you make more money each week. It's easy to say that 85 percent of the kids that come through are lazy as hell and can ask their parents to support them if it gets to hard.

On the other hand the 15 percent of people that really want to work and make it go above and beyond expectations and are doing all that they can to max out their paycheck each week. I would say the majority of this 15 percent could easily use their family as a financial back bone if they chose to but, they want to make it on their own.

Seeing as how we're moving into a society where less and less jobs are becoming available, I don't see it as a huge issue. People that don't want to work are going to be replaced by machines and kiosks while the people that do want to work and make it will find a job for themselves.

sounds kind of the same way it was 25 years ago when I worked in a restaurant. I guess kids going to college to earn their degree so they can have a good job still don't like being shit on in the food industry for next to no pay. :D

sounds kind of the same way it was 25 years ago when I worked in a restaurant. I guess kids going to college to earn their degree so they can have a good job still don't like being shit on in the food industry for next to no pay. :D

I make a lot more money in my industry then a lot of these kids will with a degree and spending 15 years in their field if not more. I'm sure a lot of the more successful people here worked two jobs over the summer to pull in 40 to 50 hours a week to pay for school, rent and books. Most people don't have this drive anymore. Mommy and daddy can cover any slack and I'll hear all sorts of excuses for them to justify it.