Columbus code question.

Skinner

So we are doing a refi on our house and was told by the fiance company that our deck needs to have a railing installed for safety/code. When the deck was built it was built with the mindset that it would not need a railing as it sits lower to the ground at its highest point its at 25 inches. I was told then that code was at 36 inches or above required a railing. So looking online I can't find any info on that now. I need to know if it has changed or does anyone have a online doc saying what the requirements are? I need to find out asap as this could delay my closing.

Possibly something in here:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A8-3

"SECTION 312 GUARDS

312.1 Where required. Guards shall be located along open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, ramps and landings, that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches (914 mm) horizontally to the edge of the open side. Insect screening shall not be considered as a guard.

Exception: Guards are not required where a protective bar is installed 34 inches to 38 inches (864 mm to 965 mm) above the porch or deck on the interior side of the screening. The protective bar shall be capable of resisting a horizontal load of 50 pounds per lineal foot (730 N/m) without contacting the screen and be a minimum of 1½ inches (38 mm) in height."

Why is a finance company getting into issues that are the realm of an insurance company?

Thats a great question. Our loan officer was wanting to know the same thing but they would not or havent yet given him a answer.

1. What was code at the time the deck was built?

2. Why is a finance company getting into issues that are the realm of an insurance company?

Deck was built back in 2006. What the code said then I dont remember but I was told that with it being under 3 feet a railing wasn't needed.

I know your trying to find the code, but could this be as easy and throwing a few 2x4s up for a few days and not have to worry about finding it and proving it?

Possibly, buts what to say they tell me thats not up to code and force me to do it again, the right way making me spend even more money. I would rather do a little research, find out what required and not install anything or if I have to do it, do right and not have it look like complete shit.

Possibly, buts what to say they tell me thats not up to code and force me to do it again, the right way making me spend even more money. I would rather do a little research, find out what required and not install anything or if I have to do it, do right and not have it look like complete shit.

Makes sense, I would put it up then take the thing down once its all done. So stupid all the technicalities that has to be met. Good luck.

100% positive your appraisal was done as an FHA or VA unless you have unsafe stairs. Finance companies care because they have to go through the hoops to have it insured/bought by the government agency. If your loan officer doesn't know this, you have a bad loan officer.

100% positive your appraisal was done as an FHA or VA unless you have unsafe stairs. Finance companies care because they have to go through the hoops to have it insured/bought by the government agency. If your loan officer doesn't know this, you have a bad loan officer.

I want to say its a conventional loan but not sure wife has done all the leg work. I will have to find out.

Nice!

For the record, some places do safety inspections during appraisals. Not sure why, as I had to remove safety bars from one house while doing a refinance/reappraisal, and put them back on after and wasn't brought up the next time I did it. These people play by their own rules unless you challenge them.

Possibly something in here:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A8-3

"SECTION 312 GUARDS

312.1 Where required. Guards shall be located along open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, ramps and landings, that are located more than 30 inches (762 mm) measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches (914 mm) horizontally to the edge of the open side. Insect screening shall not be considered as a guard.

Exception: Guards are not required where a protective bar is installed 34 inches to 38 inches (864 mm to 965 mm) above the porch or deck on the interior side of the screening. The protective bar shall be capable of resisting a horizontal load of 50 pounds per lineal foot (730 N/m) without contacting the screen and be a minimum of 1½ inches (38 mm) in height."

Makes me think of:

http://i64.tinypic.com/wuh4sm.jpg

I had to have a railing put up on my home before I could close when I bought it....This was an FHA loan...but it does happen. Just put up something simple and removable and remove it after...Thats what I did. Easy solution, problem solved.

I had to have a railing put up on my home before I could close when I bought it....This was an FHA loan...but it does happen. Just put up something simple and removable and remove it after...Thats what I did. Easy solution, problem solved.

Provided the lender with what code requires and they said OK and are now not requiring the railing.

problem solved.

:)

• 2 weeks later...