College Football 2016/17

Lauren

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never in my life thought I would say this...but I am really looking forward to that crucial Houston v. LVille football game. That may be a decisive factor in the national championship AND Heisman races this year.

Is this real life?

No kidding. Definitely some non-traditional's up there this year.

I just laugh because LSU, Oklahoma and FSU were all huge favorites coming into the year. Now they're damn near out of it (OU is). Just shows the experts don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I'm also not getting ahead of myself. OSU has a DAUNTING schedule ahead of them. And we also don't know if OU is actually any good. They could go 2-10 this year.

OU will win the B12 this year. However, that isn't saying much because the B12 is HORRIBLE. OU will have a lot of offensive success against the piss poor B12 defenses.

I just hope that IF we lose it's not to Michigan or Michigan State. I don't want another BS 1 loss season where we don't get a chance to prove ourselves in the playoffs because we play in the hardest division in college football. If I had to pick a loss for us I'd hope it would be to either Nebraska or Wisconsin. It would be nice if Michigan and Michigan State could lose a game in conference to someone other than each other to eliminate one of them.

OU will win the B12 this year. However, that isn't saying much because the B12 is HORRIBLE. OU will have a lot of offensive success against the piss poor B12 defenses.

I just hope that IF we lose it's not to Michigan or Michigan State. I don't want another BS 1 loss season where we don't get a chance to prove ourselves in the playoffs because we play in the hardest division in college football. If I had to pick a loss for us I'd hope it would be to either Nebraska or Wisconsin. It would be nice if Michigan and Michigan State could lose a game in conference to someone other than each other to eliminate one of them.

I actually think it'll be either Baylor or Texas. I'm not sold on Texas, but they got a big conference game out of the way (although lost to Cal) and I think they'll do well in conference.

MSU and UM will both have a slip up somewhere. I HIGHLY doubt one of those teams will go undefeated this year. Chances are, they'll both go into their OSU game with 1 loss.

Awe come one...State represented our conference so well last year against Alabama....with all their not points.

Awe come one...State represented our conference so well last year against Alabama....with all their not points.

Yeah, we don't want to risk sending the wrong team back to the playoff to represent the B1G again...

How many of you have or have had interactions with Michigan State fans? I ask because literally every single one I've talked to or have seen on message boards are literally delusional. I have two close friends who went to MSU and are huge MSU fans and they literally think Dantonio > Meyer and that MSU = OSU as far as the football program goes :dumb:. The ones I have seen on the board literally believe the same thing. I just want to know what these guys are smoking...

Yeah, we don't want to risk sending the wrong team back to the playoff to represent the B1G again...

How many of you have or have had interactions with Michigan State fans? I ask because literally every single one I've talked to or have seen on message boards are literally delusional. I have two close friends who went to MSU and are huge MSU fans and they literally think Dantonio > Meyer and that MSU = OSU as far as the football program goes :dumb:. The ones I have seen on the board literally believe the same thing. I just want to know what these guys are smoking...

It's called disregard of the obvious and irrational hope. It's similar to when the Browns almost have a winning season and all fans are talking playoffs, AFC north title and they are better than the Steelers the next preseason.

I agree, Lauren would be fitting.

Am I going back to Johnny Bravo? Or perhaps one of these:

Johnny Abs

Johnny Triceps

Hair Product

I Hate Verne and Gary

Dapper Dan

That's Dr. Pomade to you, Lauren.

:lolguy:

It would be nice if Michigan and Michigan State could lose a game in conference to someone other than each other to eliminate one of them.

Last year MSU DID lose to another opponent. An un-ranked one. Then we faced them. They were ranked. They squeak out a close one then get embarrassed in the tourney. Makes zero sense.

While it defies logic, losing early is far better than losing late. I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is. It's why way back in 1998 we didn't get to play for the NC then either - because of a late loss to an inferior Mich State squad.

Also defying logic, it's far better to lose a high scoring game than a low scoring one. You lose a game 55-54 and everyone thinks it's a great loss despite the fact you gave up 55 points; you lose 10 to 9 and you suck despite the fact you only gave up one TD. I don't get it, but that's the way it is.

BTW, something I've noticed and really like about Meyer's teams: they embrace the magnitude of certain games and acknowledge how important they are, how big of a stage it is, etc. Like for the Oklahoma game, the players were all like, "Yup, this is a huge game. It's Oklahoma, it's in prime time, everyone's watching, it will have big ramifications for the playoff," and so forth. I really like that.

In contrast, for those of you old enough to remember, Cooper's teams seemed aversive to the spotlight. When I think about it, I wonder if they were that way because it was a reflection of Cooper's mentality, kind of workmanlike, an "aw shucks we're just here to play a game" kind of approach. Cooper had gobs of NFL talent, but he kind of treated his teams like mini-NFL teams: took out the emotion, everyone was just there to do a job, no game was bigger necessarily than the others, etc. I think this is why he lost so many Michigan games and bowl games, as his teams were just too emotionally flat. Emotions don't really factor in that much at the NFL level, but they can be pretty significant at the college level. Just my .02, and kind of thinking out loud.

Also defying logic, it's far better to lose a high scoring game than a low scoring one. You lose a game 55-54 and everyone thinks it's a great loss despite the fact you gave up 55 points; you lose 10 to 9 and you suck despite the fact you only gave up one TD. I don't get it, but that's the way it is.

You're not wrong, but it makes sense though. A high-scoring game requires at least one unit of your team to be efficient, whether that be the offense, special teams, or a defense that scores a ton of points. A low-scoring game technically requires nothing and could be the outcome of suck on both sides of the ball. Two teams could literally be punting back and forth for 60 minutes as a result of their own mistakes, or it could be stout defense with many sacks, forced fumbles, and interceptions.

Just my opinion though, but as a fan, I'd much rather watch 2016 Notre Dame-Texas than 2011 LSU-Alabama. 2014 Stanford-Michigan State is weird though, as it was a lower scoring game, but had all the intensity in the world.

You're not wrong, but it makes sense though. A high-scoring game requires at least one unit of your team to be efficient, whether that be the offense, special teams, or a defense that scores a ton of points. A low-scoring game technically requires nothing and could be the outcome of suck on both sides of the ball. Two teams could literally be punting back and forth for 60 minutes as a result of their own mistakes, or it could be stout defense with many sacks, forced fumbles, and interceptions.

So if you score a bunch your efficient, but if your opponent scores very little it might be because they suck? By that reasoning, couldn't it be that a team that scores a bunch only did so because the other team's defense sucked?

I think you're proving my point: people will value a loss more when there were more points scored than if they don't. You've reasoned that the high-scoring team at least did something right, but still question whether the low scoring team did anything competently.

Also, I'd rather watch a high scoring game too. Bama-LSU was a snoozefest of epic proportions. Oddly, that's about the only time I can remember people going gaga over such a low-scoring game, but I attribute that to ESPN and their pro-SEC agenda.