The Fiero Project

Buck531

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3800s are iron block and heads, LS4 is all aluminum. An LS4 shouldn't be a hard swap in a Fiero, that's what I'd want to do. LS4 is a V6 bellhousing bolt pattern, has a very tight fitting accessory drive, and kind of went in place of supercharged 3800s.

There's a TON of shit that needs to have happen to drop an LS block into a Fiero. And it costs at least 5k+ to do the swap alone.

Then if you want the 4t65 trans (that's glass already) in an LS motor be prepared to drop some $ for trans upgrades. It's not as easy as one would think.

But yeah, anything can be done with enough fabrication/money.

There's a TON of shit that needs to have happen to drop an LS block into a Fiero. And it costs at least 5k+ to do the swap alone.

Then if you want the 4t65 trans (that's glass already) in an LS motor be prepared to drop some $ for trans upgrades. It's not as easy as one would think.

Sounds easy...with enough money. :gabe:

Looks like a fun car, nice job.

3800s are iron block and heads, LS4 is all aluminum. An LS4 shouldn't be a hard swap in a Fiero, that's what I'd want to do. LS4 is a V6 bellhousing bolt pattern, has a very tight fitting accessory drive, and kind of went in place of supercharged 3800s.

From the link buck shared in chat, it seems most people doing an ls4 swap use the GM MR6/F40 6 speed manual which was used in the Pontiac G6 GT, Chevy cruise 1.8, Buick Regal, Buick Verano, and the Saab 9-3 and 9-5.

From the link buck shared in chat, it seems most people doing an ls4 swap use the GM MR6/F40 6 speed manual which was used in the Pontiac G6 GT, Chevy cruise 1.8, Buick Regal, Buick Verano, and the Saab 9-3 and 9-5.

That was just the one example. the LS4 in the FWD Monte/GXP uses the same 4T65HD trans as any other wbody uses. Yeah you can use a F40 and or an F23 but I guess there are adapter plates that you'll need in order to mate up the trans and the motor.

The guy is still making V8 adapters though. It's blocked here at work but here's the link - http://www.v8archie.us/

That was just the one example. the LS4 in the FWD Monte/GXP uses the same 4T65HD trans as any other wbody uses.

yeah but....autoLOL. If you are going to go through the immense hassle it is to put an LS in a fiero, might as well walk the extra few steps and put a 3rd pedal and row your own box in there as well, right?

But yeah, anything can be done with enough fabrication/money.

I don’t expect it to cost $100, not $1k either. Quality swaps are not cheap to begin with. I bet it’s easier with an LS4 then an LS1, and I’ve seen a few parts from V8Archie, it’d be nicer making your own shit with a hammer, a sawzall, and an angle grinder. His kit that Chad bought to put the F40 trans in his Fiero was a joke.

I don’t expect it to cost $100, not $1k either. Quality swaps are not cheap to begin with. I bet it’s easier with an LS4 then an LS1, and I’ve seen a few parts from V8Archie, it’d be nicer making your own shit with a hammer, a sawzall, and an angle grinder. His kit that Chad bought to put the F40 trans in his Fiero was a joke.

Agreed on every point. You know I'm not an LSx guy so I honestly don't know the difference between the motors.

If I did have the money and knowledge I'd probably do an LS4 but me being into these chewbacca sounding 3800's it's what I'm comfortable with.

I don’t expect it to cost $100, not $1k either. Quality swaps are not cheap to begin with. I bet it’s easier with an LS4 then an LS1....

Agreed on every point. You know I'm not an LSx guy so I honestly don't know the difference between the motors.

LS4 is a transverse FWD version of the LS v8 engine family. Because of this they have a special compact accessory drive that makes packaging them in tight engine bays easier.

and I’ve seen a few parts from V8Archie, it’d be nicer making your own shit with a hammer, a sawzall, and an angle grinder. His kit that Chad bought to put the F40 trans in his Fiero was a joke.

Not everybody can fabricate parts. Not disagreeing with you on quality, but for some people even a marginal part that works is better than making your own. If you want to have a v8 fiero and don't weld and don't have access to some basic fab tools then it's the only option.

If I did have the money and knowledge I'd probably do an LS4 but me being into these chewbacca sounding 3800's it's what I'm comfortable with.

based on what I have seen with your car and things you posted in here, I kinda feel the 3800 supercharged is the best engine swap for these cars. It's not too tight in the engine bay, it makes a decent amount of power, it's junkyard cheap and plentiful, and there are some hop up parts. The thing about overpowering a fiero is eventually you are going to run up against the limitations of the chassis. With your 3800 swap right now you have about a 40/60 front/rear weight distribution, having a little rear weight bias is good, but too much plus too much power and you start to head into snap oversteer territory.

All kidding aside, you HAVE built one pretty cool unique ride that can haul some serious ass. Low 11s is still very respectable, even in the era of factory built supercars/dragsters we are in now.

Thanks. Not sure if I'll go low 11's though. That's turbo territory that I don't want to get into yet lol. High 11's is scary enough in this shit box :).

So when you wanna line them up? lol

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/fd/fda9e4062587a92691b63424d19342cd647145a8bf1fd946c3c2b480affb13b6.jpg

I'll just go on record now, getting your ass handed to you by a BBQ Grill painted Fiero is NOT going to be a good feeling ;) That little shit box is SCARY but quick!

I guess the next thing I need to do is cut a hole in the hood above the radiator and put some vent there. I guess that helps with the highway speeds and the headlights popping up.

• 5 weeks later...