I did a bad thing at Mid Ohio

GGEvo

Andy et al...totally understand where you guys are coming from. You all know I'm just having fun.

I have to admit that I'm looking forward to finishing my pilot's license. If you want to hit 135+mph and have 3-axis g-force control over your vehicle and body in a way that running around the track can't deliver...that's the way to do it. Equally as pricey ($750/yr for flight insurance to cover plane rental, $125/wet hr in the plane, $40/hr instructor) but the mental/physical workout and focus/commitment is amazing.

Don't get me wrong; I love tracking a car...but I'm not as competitive as you guys are from a car standpoint and flying is a commitment I need to follow-through on at this point in my life.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother races in NASA and used his 911 and corvette to get his license. After he got his license his track car is a Civic with a Prelude engine in it. I believe he had his 911 and vette insuranced for the track time, but when it came to the racing, thus the Honda. The thinking is the Honda is cheap enough to fix and rebuild while the others cars would get pricey insurance or otherwise.

Well just a quick update, insurance is cutting me a check for 6k so im using that to get things fixed and in the end itll have a few ricer things on it lol :)

why only 6k? did they use any estimates or send out an adjuster to look it over?

Save

I disagree, there are many people who profit well from automotive investments

Buying something that someone undervalued due to their lack of automotive mechanical knowledge and the owner was just sick of and willing to take any offer in the realm of "whatever" to make a quick $1500-$4,000 off of is something that literally benefits less than .00001% of the population.

So by the numbers, cars are a horrible investment since the remaining 99.99999% of the population lose their ass most of the time. There are basically no cars out there worth close to what they cost new accounting for inflation. I'm sure Geetard67 will chime in saying something about some crazy one off example though.

Well just a quick update, insurance is cutting me a check for 6k so im using that to get things fixed and in the end itll have a few ricer things on it lol :)

That is great news, they are covering you. Hopefully, they don't drop you after this.

why only 6k? did they use any estimates or send out an adjuster to look it over?

Save

So adjuster came out and looked it all over, wrote his est for 6k. I tried to fight it because he wrote to repair everything and replace nothing, so i called to ask for a new rear quarter and new rear bumper. The answer was if they add any more to the estimate then i have to accept the car getting totaled out. Luckily i found a shop that a good friend works at that quoted me 6k with rear quarter replacement, new fender and new rear bumper. So im going that route, and they are allowing me to get the big parts and just providing labor and the little odds and end. Normally I wouldn't go out of my way and spend money on appearance mods, well because race car lol, but this seemed like a good time to do a couple things outside just replacing things with the same new parts. So some money is coming from my side to get the parts I want, but not a lot thankfully.

Buying something that someone undervalued due to their lack of automotive mechanical knowledge and the owner was just sick of and willing to take any offer in the realm of "whatever" to make a quick $1500-$4,000 off of is something that literally benefits less than .00001% of the population.

So by the numbers, cars are a horrible investment since the remaining 99.99999% of the population lose their ass most of the time. There are basically no cars out there worth close to what they cost new accounting for inflation. I'm sure Geetard67 will chime in saying something about some crazy one off example though.

However that's like saying houses are also a bad investment because 99.99999 percent don't pay cash so you loose your ass in your loan and upkeep of the house as well just like a car, but for those who buy smart and invest smart a car like a house as well becomes a true profitable investment

However that's like saying houses are also a bad investment because 99.99999 percent don't pay cash so you loose your ass in your loan and upkeep of the house as well just like a car, but for those who buy smart and invest smart a car like a house as well becomes a true profitable investment

Ask a financial expert what you should buy new, a car or house.

So adjuster came out and looked it all over, wrote his est for 6k. I tried to fight it because he wrote to repair everything and replace nothing, so i called to ask for a new rear quarter and new rear bumper. The answer was if they add any more to the estimate then i have to accept the car getting totaled out. Luckily i found a shop that a good friend works at that quoted me 6k with rear quarter replacement, new fender and new rear bumper. So im going that route, and they are allowing me to get the big parts and just providing labor and the little odds and end. Normally I wouldn't go out of my way and spend money on appearance mods, well because race car lol, but this seemed like a good time to do a couple things outside just replacing things with the same new parts. So some money is coming from my side to get the parts I want, but not a lot thankfully.

Welcome to the wonderful world of, Oops I broke it... well I could do stock parts for X.. but performance bits for X + ... ;)

Glad to hear it all seems to be working out for you!

No I agree with you, the only people that make money of cars regularly are the people who work in the industry and really not even them all the time (look at how many used car lots fail, and how many make their money off shady financial arrangements rather than the cars themselves). But fuck you anyway, just because.

Fix that quarter all day long. Nothing needs replaced on that except the tail light. Now that I see this on a computer. 6k is totally accurate. I did a 16k hit evo a few years back, but it was suspension and half way around the car. We did put a quarter on it.

Good luck getting it fix. Keep up with the repair process.

i found a shop that a good friend works at that quoted me 6k with rear quarter replacement, new fender and new rear bumper. So im going that route, and they are allowing me to get the big parts and just providing labor and the little odds and end.

They're getting the check and you're buying the parts? Is that what Im reading. Are they giving you labor credits anywhere?

I should probably just stay out of it...

Umm...neither?

Damn you talk out of your ass a lot. Just because you personally don't have the intelligence to make money on cars (or houses), doesn't mean there isn't financial gain out there for a good portion of people. I am personally friends with 10+ people who have made millions in real estate, and personally friends with people who have made a shit load of money from flipping cars.

Don't be so quick to jump to assumptions about things you've never dabbled in. I made 45k when I was 17 years old flipping cars.

Andy et al...totally understand where you guys are coming from. You all know I'm just having fun.

I have to admit that I'm looking forward to finishing my pilot's license. If you want to hit 135+mph and have 3-axis g-force control over your vehicle and body in a way that running around the track can't deliver...that's the way to do it. Equally as pricey ($750/yr for flight insurance to cover plane rental, $125/wet hr in the plane, $40/hr instructor) but the mental/physical workout and focus/commitment is amazing.

Don't get me wrong; I love tracking a car...but I'm not as competitive as you guys are from a car standpoint and flying is a commitment I need to follow-through on at this point in my life.

Where you getting insurance for 750?!?! Mine was only 158 a year. Where you getting lessons?

Umm...neither?

+1. Saw Samsonite's post and said the same thing.

and i made 148k/year and drove a cougar.

Know how I know you're OG?

Sagar, congrats on getting SOMETHING to fix your Evo! I'm sad I tagged my CTS-V earlier this year, but have been very happy since I got it back from Kevin. :thumbup: If you're going to keep it for a long time, shouldn't be anything to worry about.

$heeeeeeit...10-15 years from now you'll be lucky to find an Evo that wasn't tagged at some point in it's life! :lol:

• 1 month later...