New daily ideas

Geeesammy

So I'm looking to get rid of my 2500HD. Its been nice to have a truck when I've needed it, but the fuel economy is killing me, plus I would like something a little more fun and easier to drive, more specificaly find a parking space for. Im really looking for something reasonable, practical and something that can hold my interest more than a few months. No kids, only consideration for cargo is a Black Golden Retriever named Bear.

I've tossed around a few ideas. Most are unicorns or hard to find for a reasonable price. I'm not looking to spend more than $14.5- $15k on the car, I feel for that price I can find something that fits the bill rather easily. I'm really open to any ideas. Not too much in the domestic market I like currently.

Requirements

-Must be reliable. Note that I said reliable, if it is a maintenance whore thats one thing, I can deal with that as it's a forseeable event I am will be capable of performing 99% of the tasks myself.

-Decent fuel economy. I would like 23-26 combined, I guess I could go a little lower for something fun I haven't thought of?

- Good seats. I like a little more aggresive seat than what some manufacturers offer. I dont need a race seat but something with bolsters is nice.

- A usable back seat with me being comfortable in the front. Outside of an LS460L this will be difficult since I'm 6'6". Civics dont work, Cruzes don't either. Most larger cars like an Accord will. Even Jetta's.

A few examples of what I've been debating

- Mk6 Jetta 2.5 5 speed.

Neat cars..or at least I think. That 5 cyl sound will keep me interested in it. 5 speed can make it feel fast and fun. Decent options.

-G37

I feel like you get a lot for the money. "Luxury" car with a solid drivetrain. All wheel drive with the X models, seats are amazing for me, backseat is useable.

-VW CC

Kind of a quirky car I feel, more long than narrow but for me it works out. Seats are a 10/10, one of the few cars I've wanted to own for a few years running. Heard mixed reviews about certain years of the 2.0t, have yet to know anyone that owned one to confirm them. The VR6 option isn't one for me. Great value, they have seemed to get hit hard on depreciation.

- 2012+ Accord

Honda so reliability is there. Prices seem to be a little high for what they are in my mind. Interiors are nice, seats are very comfortable. Seem to ride very nice, great economy for being a large sedan.

- 2013+ Altima

I was a Nissan tech for awhile so I am a bit biased towards these. I like the looks of them, economy in the 4 cylinder is great but dat CVT kills me. Seats are okay, I would need to find a great deal to get one though.

- Regal GS

Small, almost too small but they have some balls for being your grandparents car. I can give the backseat a pass due to that. I feel like it would be very hard to find a clean one without 80,000 miles on it for my budget.

With a GM tune they still retain warranty AND make some high numbers for being a Buick? WTFLOL

Open to ideas, let me hear what yours are.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did just the opposite, I kept my F350 and bought a low mile street appearance police package Crown Vic, 4 doors, good handling, passenger car amenities, with all the heavy duty accessories.....brakes, suspension, sway bars, cooling, and, if you drive it normal....20-24Mpg.

I'm into my 85k mile ride for $4500, and that was with going through everything, brakes, fluids, tires, some cosmetics and a clean up. GovDeals is a good starting place.

The hunt is half the fun.....

Sold my 2012 Regal GS 6mt earlier this year specifically due to the nonexistent back seat. Went from an 01 S8 with a sofa for a back seat to the Regal. I'm 6'1" and nobody could sit behind me. Also, the infotainment/Nav was pretty finnicky. Other than that, I really did like that car. It was a lot of fun for a daily. I had to look for quite awhile to find one that was in excellent shape. Seems like everyone loves to curb those 20's. I paid under 20 for mine over a year ago with 20k on it, so you might be able to find one in your budget without a ton of miles. I did have to go to SC to get it though.

If you're looking at the CC's would you looks at a Ford Fusion? A 2.0 Ecoboost loaded up is within you budget. I love mine. Comfortable, plenty of power, 28-30 MPG plus an awesome entertainment package.

The G37's are great too. Your in LS2 GTO money too, if I didn't have kids I would rock one.

I did just the opposite, I kept my F350 and bought a low mile street appearance police package Crown Vic, 4 doors, good handling, passenger car amenities, with all the heavy duty accessories.....brakes, suspension, sway bars, cooling, and, if you drive it normal....20-24Mpg.

I'm into my 85k mile ride for $4500, and that was with going through everything, brakes, fluids, tires, some cosmetics and a clean up. GovDeals is a good starting place.

The hunt is half the fun.....

I like Vic's, just not the front seat feel. Hard to describe.

+1. I've had mine going on 3 years, which says a lot for me as I used to churn through cars frequently.

I've debated one, I haven't looked into them recently but I am assuming they are a tad out of my budget

G35/G37.

G35 is a no go for me, the sedan styling is meh.

GTI is much better car for tall people than a focus.

I like the CC, a sport looks really good and you can still get them in manual. 2.0T are solid overall as we discussed.

Nothing to say about the other appliances on the list.

Mk5 GTI's I feel like most will have highish miles and have been well worn, Mk6 all seem to be low mileage examples out of my budget.

I know you can find anything, just kind of using a blanket statement. GTI is a little too much for me, then I'll get tempted to do all kinds of shit to it

Sold my 2012 Regal GS 6mt earlier this year specifically due to the nonexistent back seat. Went from an 01 S8 with a sofa for a back seat to the Regal. I'm 6'1" and nobody could sit behind me. Also, the infotainment/Nav was pretty finnicky. Other than that, I really did like that car. It was a lot of fun for a daily. I had to look for quite awhile to find one that was in excellent shape. Seems like everyone loves to curb those 20's. I paid under 20 for mine over a year ago with 20k on it, so you might be able to find one in your budget without a ton of miles. I did have to go to SC to get it though.

Awesome info, thank you so much.

Requirements

-Must be reliable

test drive the vulva

See above

If you're looking at the CC's would you looks at a Ford Fusion? A 2.0 Ecoboost loaded up is within you budget. I love mine. Comfortable, plenty of power, 28-30 MPG plus an awesome entertainment package.

The G37's are great too. Your in LS2 GTO money too, if I didn't have kids I would rock one.

Fusion's are nice, GF has one, the issue I have is they are too narrow for me around the steering wheel.

GTO's are too boaty for me.

New Ford fusion fits that bill. We got ours through Jordan and paid like 15-16 for a used 2016 been really happy so far. (EDIT: nvm) Otherwise love me some Infiniti...

If it were me and I didn't have kids I'd have a truck and a sports car.. just like I did before kids womp womp.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Regal GS, 2012 or 2013. The 14+ had AWD as an option but only with an auto. The only difference between '12 and '13 is the Intellilink interface was upgraded in the latter year. You can find a ton of 2012s with a stick and a decent amount of 13s.

Byers had a gray '12 manual GS on their lot earlier this year, 21k miles and was listed at $17k. I would have bought it, but it only had the 19s (the 20s really make the car IMO) and it didn't have the Nav display.

They are really nice cars and I've wanted one for a while. I still hem and haw about getting a newer car, maybe one of these days I'll actually do it. For everything it offers, a GS is tough to beat for the money.

For reference, here's the gray one I looked at with the 19's...

http://i.imgur.com/nCP83r2l.jpg

And here's one with the 20's...

http://i.imgur.com/drHN4g6l.jpg

I thought about just buying the gray one and getting a set of factory 20's online, but searching at the time I couldn't find anything cheaper than $500/wheel, so I said F that.

Also, they don't come with spares, but there is a company that makes an 18" spare (big enough to clear the Brembos) that fits in the trunk, and it's pretty cheap. Just food for thought since you'll be using the car as a daily.

Crazy how much better any car looks when it's black and lowered. The gray one looks like anything else, then bam.

Also, my mom has a 2014 Regal and loves it. I've driven it a few times and it's a nice car. I don't think I'd buy one, but they're nice.

True story. Although I didn't pay much attention when I posted that, and didn't even notice it was lowered.

So here's a better apples/apples comparison. White paint, 20" wheels at stock height :D

http://i.imgur.com/1HfDEE2l.jpg

I'm just really not a fan of the 19's at all, they make the car look way too plain