2006 Honda CR-V 4WD High Speed Noise

Fiji ST

It's an EX automatic with 129k on it.

Drove to Ikea yesterday in the Honda and every once in a while there would be this horrible thumping noise almost like a wheel was falling off or a shock was gone and one of the wheels was bouncing freely. No other way to describe it. I had to stop twice to make sure everything was okay and climb underneath it this morning to see if I could find anything. Everything felt tight, nothing seemed broken or loose and the only thing I saw that may have been leaking was the passenger CV boot going into the rear differential.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff66/naborgia/FABCFA6F-D5AB-47E0-8747-B1981863E726.jpg

It felt no different driving. No vibrations or wobbles felt, and it seems to happen very randomly above 75 mph. I could slow down and it would go away within 5-10 seconds. Then I could speed back up with no issues for 5 minutes to 45 minutes.

Any ideas? Could it be that CV boot?

Has the rear differential fluid ever been changed? They'll make some very loud noise if the fluid needs done. I've dealt with several of them making noise and the fluid has always taken care of it. Always used the Dual Pump fluid from Honda.

That's new to me. I've never heard of anything like this before. I will definitely check into that more. Wonder how much that would run? Thanks for the tip.

wheel weight? Check for contact

i really doubt its the CV. Unless all the grease is gone, even then it would start clicking and whatnot when flexing...not 75 on the freeway

I figured it wasn't the CV but that was the only thing I could find that was wrong. Definitely wasn't a clicking sound as I had that noise at the end of my old Mazda's ownership. Wheel bearing was shot and the CV boot was shredded.

Honda has a TSB for the differential fluid. Not sure if it's your issue since it wasn't at low speeds, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to swap out the fluid if it's not been done. I've always just changed the fluid, drive about 5-10 miles and then change the fluid again.