So just for kicks, where would you move?

Cordell

Depends what I am doing.

To raise a family, I'm pretty happy here.

If I was to be single forever, Vegas

Rich and single, Ibiza.

Retire Rich, Bali/Hawaii.

Retire as planned, Gulf shores Alabama. No income tax for the retires, best beaches in the country, untra low cost of living.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually shocked at almost not a nod to FL anywhere....outside of the one Naples comment. I am looking to relocate right now and I am leaning having on the Tampa/Clearwater area mainly because we want to be close enough to a coast to go to the beach and the gulf side of FLorida is the bast side in my opinion. My reason for moving there is multi layered though.....Booming Industry for the type of work I am interested/involved in and no winter.....I do know the downfall will be City traffic in the city and the humidity.....and I hate extreme heat, but I think I want to at least try to give it a shot.

My wife and I will have some type of vacation property down south. It is still up in the air where, we have to see where kids end up. If they stay in Ohio after college, Folley Beach, South Carolina will be the vacation home.

I have a place in Folley beach, not my ideal location...

Have you ever been? Much better places to spend time......

Preferably somewhere in the Charleston, SC vicinity. Although I have been researching places in NC as well. I have become very fond of Asheville. There are a few other small towns just north of Charlotte that I've been to in the past that I liked too. One being Cornelius, but it has been about a decade since I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asheville is great depending on your interests. I spend a weekend there every month. The mountains are great.

All the towns north of Charlotte, that are nice and on Lake Norman have shot up in value over the past 5 years. Here in Davidson, something decent will set you back 400k.... Traffic is also a concern if you need to travel 77 during peak hours, although it's currently being widened, huge growth in this area.....

I was actually shocked at almost not a nod to FL anywhere....outside of the one Naples comment. I am looking to relocate right now and I am leaning having on the Tampa/Clearwater area mainly because we want to be close enough to a coast to go to the beach and the gulf side of FLorida is the bast side in my opinion. My reason for moving there is multi layered though.....Booming Industry for the type of work I am interested/involved in and no winter.....I do know the downfall will be City traffic in the city and the humidity.....and I hate extreme heat, but I think I want to at least try to give it a shot.

I love the Tampa Bay area. Used to vacation a lot in St. Pete and Clearwater Beach. I certainly wouldn't mind living there

I visit Charlotte regularly and its always great time down there but idk about living there for a while tho.

Some family moved to Charlotte, thought it would be an improvement. After about 2 years they're moving back.

Summers are much worse, winters are a little better, food is terrible except a couple BBQ places, racist backwards-ass population, bugs, not as much to do.

PNW is pretty, but costs a fuckton, and from the few weeks I spent there, it rains a lot. Like, almost columbus-levels of rain. And if you find a decent area outside town that's affordable, it's on a dirt road with no power or water or internet or anything.

Montana is beautiful, but dem winters... Same with Alaska- maybe a place to retire or vacation to, but not live/work.

Ohio is pretty shitty, but you can do a lot worse. There are decent tracks not too far away, great food, lack of natural disasters, and lots of decent jobs.

You'll find that when people bitch about Florida's humidity and stupidity, they're usually talking about inland, panhandle, or Atlantic (east coast) parts of FL. The Gulf coast gets a nice breeze that keeps the temperature and humidity slightly better in check. Traffic is ridic in "season" when all the retirees are in town (usually Thanksgiving through Easter) but everything is very approachable and there is a lot to see and do.

For me, family is the biggest driver keeping us in Ohio, though having grown up here - and lived elsewhere - there is a lot to like. Winters do suck, but just 120 miles further north is an entirely colder climate called Cleveland...so I'm a lot happier being in C'Bus.

Most adults/parents I've spoken to that have kids love Central Ohio for cost-of-living and a very family-friendly community.

Down the road, when kids are out of college, I'd seriously consider doing a 7-month living plan in FL for taxes but keep in touch with Ohio. That's what I'm working towards...

Preferably somewhere in the Charleston, SC vicinity. Although I have been researching places in NC as well. I have become very fond of Asheville. There are a few other small towns just north of Charlotte that I've been to in the past that I liked too. One being Cornelius, but it has been about a decade since I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have family in Asheville, its definitely the most "progressive" area in the state by far. Full of hippies and lefties which I don't necessarily mind but if you don't love craft beer and at least pretend to love international soccer then you're an outsider. Lots of outdoor activities to do though, summer was perfect not sure about the winters.

If money were no issue I would visit places like Austin, Dallas, Denver, Tampa Bay, Charleston, San Fran, San Diego, etc... before I moved b/c I feel like all of those places have a lot of positives for me.

However moving, a lot more than just finances go into a decision like that. Family, friends, etc... yeah Cbus has some downsides but I think they pale in comparison to the downsides of other cities. Also, comparatively cost of living here is great. Grass is always greener I suppose.

I will add that nearly everyone that's moved from C'Bus/Ohio and come back gains an appreciation for the area.

When I was in FL in my late 20's, I loved the year-round warmth. Still do. However, I'd hear people (transplants from up north, mostly) complain about the lack of changing of seasons. I thought they were crazy.

Now that I'm older and back, I really do appreciate fall and spring a lot more. The winter is the only part that sucks, and if I'm trying to be positive I'm good with it through middle of January, then I'm ready to move on. :lol: At least in C'Bus - as opposed to Cleveland - you get legit spring weather early to mid-March.

Does that go for NC too?

Me and my Family have been hardcore Midwest Pizza Aficionados for years. Have long discussed opening up a Joint with our homemade recipe.

If what you say is true I could see myself moving down there in 10-ish years.

That is a fact you can Google, the pizza sucks here. If there was a pizza place that made something taste like any random joint in Ohio, example Christies in Newark. And put that location near the Yankees here you'd be busy and rich.

Another thing , nyc style delis suck here too. One finally opened in tega cay and it's so busy it's expanding hours, caused at least one competitor to close and is expanding its size.

That is a fact you can Google, the pizza sucks here. If there was a pizza place that made something taste like any random joint in Ohio, example Christies in Newark. And put that location near the Yankees here you'd be busy and rich.

Another thing , nyc style delis suck here too. One finally opened in tega cay and it's so busy it's expanding hours, caused at least one competitor to close and is expanding its size.

At least you've got the Donatos across from South Park in Charlotte.

I'm just a couple hours away, but our pizza selection is even more sad.

I've enjoyed every minute of being in Arizona. Cost of living is about the same or less. Phoenix has everything you'd want in a city pretty much but if you want to live rurally there's a ton of places to be alone. Weather is great, no earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis, or much of anything else really. Endless places for outdoor activities etc...

I've enjoyed every minute of being in Arizona. Cost of living is about the same or less. Phoenix has everything you'd want in a city pretty much but if you want to live rurally there's a ton of places to be alone. Weather is great, no earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis, or much of anything else really. Endless places for outdoor activities etc...

Cost of living in Phoenix is actually more than Columbus now. But can confirm AZ > Oh

I belong in SoCal. But $$$$.. Until then Phoenix it is!

Florida has a sigma for beign filled with bath salt eating wierdos for a reason. Like visiting Florida, could not see myself living anywhere I had visited Long term (besdes the Keys) unless I was retired, and I have spent a week in basically every part of the state.

Pros and Cons to everything

I have a place in Folley beach, not my ideal location...

Have you ever been? Much better places to spend time.....

We like the Folley Beach area. This would be a vacation rental income situation if we chose to buy due to the proximity of travel time from Ohio.

We also love Hawaii and Northern California but that is too far and expensive for a second/vacation home. I have been to 46 of the 50 states and there are many wonderful places.

Edited by RS69

My own self-sustaining island. It's what I've wanted for as long as I can remember. Otherwise, more realistically, not sure. There are so many places I've been that would be great, but there are many more out there I've yet to discover. I do know I'll never live in the rust belt again. Done and done.

In the U.S.: Portland, ME or Portsmouth, NH. Love New England, love mountains, love the coast.

Outside the U.S.: Lisbon, Portugal or Caracas, Venezuela if they ever get their shit together. My family is from Lisbon and I spent a couple weeks in Caracas before Chavez went full cuckoobananas and it was one of the most amazing cities I've ever visited.