Dodge Challenger Demon

Mallard

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AWD hellcat will be the Jeep Grand Cherokee Track Hawk or some similar name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bingo.

Straight from the Chrysler engineer's mouth.

Where did you read about this at?

Slightly off topic discussion, since there is going to be an AWD hellcat. Stock for Stock GTR vs Hellcat AWD. Which would have the advantage?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mallard - When my dad picked up his new Grand Cherokee SRT the dealer felt strongly that when the new SRT GC comes out it will be a TT V6..... any truth to that? If so then the GC SRT "Track Hawk" will have the v8?

I can't comment on future product.

Trackhawk will be a model name, so it's not tied to any engine package at this point, so any future use of the Trackhawk is open to the baddest Jeep SRT there will be at the time. Mike Manley has said that the Hellcat-powered Trackhack, based on the current WK2 platform will debut at New York. When WK2 is replaced who knows what will happen. I think you've seen that CAFE standards are killing most large engines, and even now the Hellcat is pretty unique. IMO, get them while you can and hold on to them.

Yes but it shows 6.6 @ 125 in the 1/8 which is faster than that. Also, it says 0-100 in 6.8 which makes no sense

I think it says 0-100 in 6.3, but on a different page it says 0-100 in 6.03. The 1/8 mile time is also much faster than 10.5 in the 1/4, and there's no way it only gains 4 mph between the two unless the driver lifted. It also shows A:F as 13.75 stoic, which is only about E15, not race fuel.

I would not take these numbers as gospel, since they don't add up. It also shows it launched with a peak acceleration of almost 1.5G's. If it launched that hard, ran that 1/8 mile time/mph, then it's not a 10.5 car, and it's not making 757 HP, although that number comes up multiple times in this video. Stock Hellcat's on drag radials run 10.5. Also, the page shows a reaction time of 1.5 sec. If that was included in the ET...

On AllPar a typical reliable source says 9.66 was the number he was told in the summer, and said later was told the time dropped and had approached 8's.

Other things confirmed in this video are the Line Lock and fast cool down feature of the S/C. This has been talked about on AllPar for a while, where they are cooling the I/C coolent with the A/C system.

I think it says 0-100 in 6.3, but on a different page it says 0-100 in 6.03. The 1/8 mile time is also much faster than 10.5 in the 1/4, and there's no way it only gains 4 mph between the two unless the driver lifted. It also shows A:F as 13.75 stoic, which is only about E15, not race fuel.

I would not take these numbers as gospel, since they don't add up. It also shows it launched with a peak acceleration of almost 1.5G's. If it launched that hard, ran that 1/8 mile time/mph, then it's not a 10.5 car, and it's not making 757 HP, although that number comes up multiple times in this video. Stock Hellcat's on drag radials run 10.5. Also, the page shows a reaction time of 1.5 sec. If that was included in the ET...

On AllPar a typical reliable source says 9.66 was the number he was told in the summer, and said later was told the time dropped and had approached 8's.

Other things confirmed in this video are the Line Lock and fast cool down feature of the S/C. This has been talked about on AllPar for a while, where they are cooling the I/C coolent with the A/C system.

I don't believe any of the numbers per se, because if they threw them out that easy they usually aren't worth much. Just thought it was interesting they put one in there so plainly.

So, how many stock hellcats have run 10.50s? I've seen 11.50-12.0 on tires. Now, it wasn't ideal conditions and who knows how well it hooked, but going from 11.50s to 10.50s takes a lot of help. Trap speed has been 120-123 in those instances as well.

I also understand that my sample size is limited, but I'm just curious on conditions and if weight was removed to see those numbers. What tire height? I've seen guys running shorter tires on other mopars, but I'm not sure what the smallest wheel is that will clear the hellcat brakes.

I think there are 17's with enough hoop to clear the srt brakes in back but I'm not 100% sure as it's been a while since I was looking. I know there are plenty of 18" options out there though.

I thought with good air and tires, 10's in a hellcat were damn near a given?

So, how many stock hellcats have run 10.50s? I've seen 11.50-12.0 on tires. Now, it wasn't ideal conditions and who knows how well it hooked, but going from 11.50s to 10.50s takes a lot of help. Trap speed has been 120-123 in those instances as well.

I also understand that my sample size is limited, but I'm just curious on conditions and if weight was removed to see those numbers. What tire height? I've seen guys running shorter tires on other mopars, but I'm not sure what the smallest wheel is that will clear the hellcat brakes.

I looked back at Hellcat.org and it looks like a lot of 10.70-10.80's from people who claim to be stock with drag tires.

There are cars in the 9's, one listed his mods as a lower pulley, cat delete, driveshaft, drag radials, E85, and a tune. He ran 9.97@135.

Consider those mods and realize that even though the Demon will have cats, it will have a larger S/C, pushing more boost, better gearing, better S/C cooling, higher flow intake, and a race gas tune.

It should have a more dedicated drag setup than the shittos

The Nitto's are specially designed for the Demon, not an off-the-shelf tire. It also has to remain street legal.

Edited by Mallard

03.16.2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich.

The new 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon’s distinctive “staged” exhaust note is the focus of the newest teaser video, “No Pills,” unveiled March 16 at http://www.ifyouknowyouknow.com.

This week’s release couldn’t be more fitting of Dodge’s “If you know, you know” tagline, because “if you know” you will hear extreme performance, but those who don’t will think something is wrong with the engine. Fans can hear for themselves by downloading a ringtone of the Demon’s exhaust note directly from http://www.ifyouknowyouknow.com or from Apple iTunes.

The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon’s unique exhaust note is the result of an advanced torque reserve launch system – the first ever designed for a drag race application on a production car.

What is torque reserve? In plain English, it lets more air flow through the engine before launch, allowing for increased supercharger rpm without torque overwhelming the brakes and spinning the rear tires.

In the Challenger SRT Demon, torque reserve kicks in when Launch Mode is active and engine rpm is greater than 1,000.

Torque reserve does two things:

It closes the bypass valve on the supercharger, “prefilling” the supercharger

It manages fuel flow to cylinders and changes spark timing. To balance engine rpm and torque, the Challenger SRT Demon’s powertrain controller will briefly cut fuel flow to selected cylinders. This creates the noticeable change in the exhaust tone. The controller also advances or retards the ignition timing to fine-tune the engine rpm/torque balance

With torque reserve managing the engine output, the supercharged HEMI® engine can build boost pressure before leaving the starting line and reach maximum boost pressure quicker, taking full advantage of the SRT Demon’s increased weight transfer and increased contact patch drag radials to reduce 60-foot times.

I'll post this for reference too:

Full weight Charger

- Metco Upper Pulley (18PSI)

- ATI Lower Pulley

- Catless Mid Pipes

- 3.09 Rear Gear Swap (Demon will have 3.09)

- Driveshaft Shop Driveshaft

- Diablosport CMR tune

Makes 902 horsepower / 866 lb.-ft. of torque

The guys on the forums are talking about crazy levels of HP now for the Demon, but won't quote numbers. These are guys who have inside connections and we're previously saying over 900 HP. They now claim these expectations were too low. I can't wait for April to get here.

First production vehicle equipped with a trans brake.

03.23.2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich.

The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon leverages a performance feature that is sure to make it one for the history books. Unlocked on March 23, the newest teaser, “Lock and Load,” shares a feature that not only delivers the highest level of dedicated drag car technology offered in a production car but also, until now, could only be found in the aftermarket for "track use only" vehicles.

The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the first ever, factory production car with a TransBrake™. This exclusive performance feature enables the SRT Demon to produce launch forces previously unattainable by street legal production vehicles. Quicker power delivery and higher engine launch torque potential are achieved by locking the output shaft of the automatic transmission to keep the vehicle stationary until launch.

Conventional vehicle launches consist of the driver using one foot on the brake and one on the accelerator pedal to increase engine speed while holding the vehicle stationary, known as foot-brake launch or two-footing. The SRT Demon’s TransBrake feature provides improved reaction times and more consistent launches by utilizing the steering wheel paddle shifters as a launch trigger. Using the driver’s finger exclusively to trigger launch of the SRT Demon results in a 30 percent reaction time advantage over foot-brake launches.

By locking the output shaft of the transmission, the Challenger SRT Demon’s TransBrake works in conjunction with Torque Reserve to achieve:

Brake-free launches up to 2,350 RPM

105 percent increase in launch boost pressures

120 percent increase engine launch torque

To make sure the SRT Demon can take full advantage of maximum torque at launch, the TransBrake feature also includes a driveline preload process. Preloading ensures engine torque is applied through the entire driveline all the way to the rear wheels. The result is full engine torque delivery where the tires touch the ground 150 milliseconds after the paddle shifter is released. Preloading the driveline also provides reduced component spike loads and thus less potential of component damage. The overall result is faster acceleration at launch, better 60-foot times and improved quarter-mile times.

The TransBrake feature also compliments the SRT Demon’s new lightweight brake package, designed to enable the use of narrow front-runner wheels at the drag strip. With TransBrake holding the SRT Demon steady, more torque is available via higher engine rpm without fear of overwhelming the reduced grip of braked front runners. This gives the SRT Demon up to 40 percent more available launch torque compared to vehicles with front runners using a foot-brake launch