Dodge Challenger Demon

Mallard

If not AWD then why? Hmmmm what does the Challenger need? Oh I got it, let's make it wider!

Reading AllPar rumors, it sounds as if there are two versions coming. One for straights, one that can turn too.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Base Challenger, not even. 63.7 in for both (2LT vs SRT) in rear track width. The 2SS is a little narrower, couldn't find new ZL1.

The Demon is 'a bit' wider, and that's mostly because they can't fit more tire in the fender well.

Guys - comparing the Challenger to another fatass car does not make a wide body version of the Challenger make more sense.

Guys - comparing the Challenger to another fatass car does not make a wide body version of the Challenger make more sense.

It does if it is one of those competition only cars like the COPO Camaro, Dodge Drag Pak, or the Mustang Cobra Jet and won't see road use. As I understand it a 10" tire is the largest tire you can get under the rear of a new challenger so a wide body to fit a larger tire makes a lot of sense as a "Drag Pak" replacement (even if it does exclude the car from NMCA Factory Super Car classes).

All this is kind of moot since the pic shows a huge 20" wheel spinning in a fender flare so I somehow doubt this is where they are going with it. There are already aftermarket kits for wide-bodies so I guess there is a need for it, esp with the tire clearance issue.

Food for thought - anybody else don't get why the factory competition cars don't run Hellcat/ZL1/Shelby drive-trains? I get the class rules limit engine size to below 6.0L but the class was built for these cars to run it - couldn't they just amend the rules?

It does if it is one of those competition only cars like the COPO Camaro, Dodge Drag Pak, or the Mustang Cobra Jet and won't see road use. As I understand it a 10" tire is the largest tire you can get under the rear of a new challenger so a wide body to fit a larger tire makes a lot of sense as a "Drag Pak" replacement (even if it does exclude the car from NMCA Factory Super Car classes).

All this is kind of moot since the pic shows a huge 20" wheel spinning in a fender flare so I somehow doubt this is where they are going with it. There are already aftermarket kits for wide-bodies so I guess there is a need for it, esp with the tire clearance issue.

Food for thought - anybody else don't get why the factory competition cars don't run Hellcat/ZL1/Shelby drive-trains? I get the class rules limit engine size to below 6.0L but the class was built for these cars to run it - couldn't they just amend the rules?

That would actually be cool to see the production drivetrains in them.

If they are really limited to a 10" wide tire (I have 11" wide wheels on my Camaro so know they fit - might even be able to go 12") that makes sense but you would have to assume there are other ways to accomplish it. it will all come down to how much it is and how much it improves the performance. I am sure it will look cool - I Love the Challenger's styling until you put it next to another car- then it looks cartoonish.

l95mavloxmyygtbex9jo.jpg

I'm liking the bulging fenders. And props to FCA for breathing continued life into the Challenger/Charger platform with these special packages that keep the existing bodystyle alive. Very good way of using marketing to save/delay R&D costs.

Reminded by Jalopnik that a Challenger Hellcat is 4,500lbs. Whoof. A 200lb diet is definitely in order.

I wish I did not like the looks of these cars as much as I do :). Dodge does marketing build up better than any of the other domestics. I miss the GM commercials like the one they had for the WS6...

This was always my favorite

01.26.2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich.

Where there’s smoke, there’s tire. This fact will be confirmed when the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon roars into its New York City debut in April, ahead of the New York International Auto Show.

The third teaser video, unlocked January 26, reveals that the Challenger SRT Demon rolls on upgraded lightweight 18 x 11-inch wheels and “Demon Branded” 315/40R18 Nitto NT05R tires front and rear, making Demon the first-ever factory production car built with drag radials. The new “Demon Branded” Nitto NT05R drag radial tires were specifically designed and developed exclusively for the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon using a new compound and specific tire construction.

The new Challenger Demon wide-body is laser clearanced, and the entire chassis is e-coated for durability before final assembly.

The combination of the 11-inch-wide wheels, high-profile drag radials and integrated fender flares adds 3.5 inches to the overall width of the Challenger SRT Demon for an intimidating, purposeful stance.

Fans should visit http://www.ifyouknowyouknow.com to binge on the 27-second “Wide Body” video multiple times, along with other teaser videos, to learn about what’s next from Dodge and SRT.

763b6448c7d00174ae8ca5844a934817.jpg

354a0677769e65dcd0a18c368ada2aa6.jpg

Any clues on the meaning behind the license plate?

One theory seen in the forums is that 35 in Hg = 17.2 psi, so they think it means a 2576 cc s/c @ 17.2 psi.

Stock Hellcat is a 2380 cc s/c @ 11.6 psi.

One theory seen in the forums is that 35 in Hg = 17.2 psi, so they think it means a 2576 cc s/c @ 17.2 psi.

Stock Hellcat is a 2380 cc s/c @ 11.6 psi.

That makes sense. They keep pushing the SC Whine in the videos too.

The next video came out today

The car comes with a crate the has 18 components that maximize the Demon's flexibility, exclusivity, and collectability.

This includes Demon Branded track tools, matching spare wheels (skinnies for the front), and Demon Track Pack System. Each crate has a personalized plate.

1fec34ce503413b5f69f55ba2763b5a1.jpg

Some are already claiming the numbers on the plate are a hint at 757 ft lbs and 1121 HP...but who knows.

Tom Coddington was a Chrysler Engineer and part of the factory backed Ramchargers drag racing team in the 1960s. Nice tribute, surprised they didn't go with Tom Hoover though.

This thing is shaping up to be pretty insane. After hearing it will come with one seat, I was worried it would end up as a track only car like the COPO and Cobra Jet, but it seems like they've figured out a way to make it a legal street/strip animal.

Tom Coddington was a Chrysler Engineer and part of the factory backed Ramchargers drag racing team in the 1960s. Nice tribute, surprised they didn't go with Tom Hoover though.

This thing is shaping up to be pretty insane. After hearing it will come with one seat, I was worried it would end up as a track only car like the COPO and Cobra Jet, but it seems like they've figured out a way to make it a legal street/strip animal.

Sounds like the one seat thing is somewhat optional, if you believe AllPar. Sounds like you'll be able to check a box for a passenger seat.

I agree. Once the news came out, a lot of news outlets really focused on that, but I assume the passenger seat will be an option. I'm sure a strong majority of the cars sold will see very little track use. I think the tool box idea is pretty neat, but definitely won't help keep the costs down.

I agree. Once the news came out, a lot of news outlets really focused on that, but I assume the passenger seat will be an option. I'm sure a strong majority of the cars sold will see very little track use. I think the tool box idea is pretty neat, but definitely won't help keep the costs down.

Everything I've heard is it will be very limited in numbers and higher in price. Not sure if it will command more than $90k, but I assume the $70-80k range is an easy assumption.

I think there will be ones that see the track and others that only see Cars and Coffee parking lots.