Motorcycle Repair/Mechanic questions

NightRider

I have a few questions i hope you guys could answer for me.

I have decided to take a motorcycle repair course. I wanted to learn to be able fix my own bike and possibly make a career out of it. Obviously, motorcycles are a huge passion of mine, so it makes sense to me.

I know i'm not gonna make 50$ an hour...but hey it's better than doing something that makes you miserable.

Questions:

(1) What is the average hourly rate of a motorcycle mechanic, as well as annual income?

(2) (Granted, this may be a stupid question...but curious)

What do motorcycle mechanic's do in the winter season?

Obviously with snow on the ground, i'm sure there aren't gonna be too many people rushing out to get their bikes serviced. I'm sure there are some that will trailer their bikes to get work done, but i'm sure work will be slow.

Wait...on a hilariously sad note, i've honestly never noticed. Do motorcycle shops stay open all year? :lol:

That's it for now. Thanks to anyone for any info. And...feel free to laugh. :D

Most motorcycle shops also work on ATV's, etc. Therefore, they WILL have work in the winter. I'm sure there are some people that have stuff done on their bikes over the winter, instead of taking downtime when the weather is good. Custom shops are typically busy year around.

you will never get rich doing it, thats for sure.

although friends i know who are mechanics, many of them say it kills their love of working on stuff after a while...

think about it like this. you love to cook so you become a chef. but after cooking for 9 hours, the last thing you wanna do when you get home is cook some more...

not saying its going to be like that for you, but its a possibility...

but like you said, it sure beats sitting in an office all day lol.

I love working on cars and I do so for a everyday living. There are some days where I wanna just give it all up. Be prepared to spend a shit load of money in the beginning to you get rolling. I think I have roughly 9g wrapped in my tool boxes and tools. As far as annual salary its hard to say. some shops pay well as far as wages and time others dont. I usually average 50 hrs a week this week I turned 64. If you are self motivated flat rate rocks if not it sucks. It pays to be fast and do it right the first time and avoid comebacks.

I worked in a shop for 6 months...

My was was 9.50 an hour plus comp. I brought home about $650 every two weeks.

If you get good and can go on flat rate you can make better money, but don't expect much for awhile. I couldn't afford to keep doing it so I quit. Now I have my own business and do it after I get done with my day job.

In a shop there is always work. A lot of shops, the senior mechanics take the winter off and leave one or two guys to work all winter.