What the H E double hockey sticks.....

gillbot

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170424/OEM06/304249979/keep-the-dodge-demon-off-our-roads

Keep the Dodge Demon off our roads

The 840-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Demon from Fiat Chrysler is so inherently dangerous to the common safety of motorists that its registration as a road-worthy automobile should be banned.

We don't reach this conclusion lightly. There are more powerful, and even faster, vehicles available from other automakers that are rightly street legal.

But just as Tesla is wrong to use consumers and the roadways to beta-test its autonomous driving technologies, Dodge is wrong to offer a purpose-built drag racer as a road-legal automobile.

From its barely legal slick tires to its monstrous acceleration, the Challenger Demon introduced in New York this month is the result of a sequence of misguided corporate choices that places bragging rights ahead of public safety.

Laudably, the entire industry has made great strides toward improved vehicle safety in recent years, even as it dials up performance capabilities. But with the Demon, Dodge spits on that goal and irresponsibly moves in the opposite direction, knowingly placing motorists in danger in the process.

Oddly enough, for a vehicle designed to be a purpose-built drag racer, the Demon has already been banned from regulated drag strips by that sport's sanctioning body, the National Hot Rod Association, allegedly for being "too fast."

The Demon may comply sufficiently with the letter of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards to legally be registered for on-road use, but in its current form it certainly doesn't fulfill the spirit of those standards.

To borrow a phrase from Ralph Nader, the Demon remains unsafe at any speed.

Ban dumb people. Long live guns and cars.

Don't you know dumb people pay more for everything? Geeez, you're so insensitive

Just remember, you are always the dumb person to someone else.

however...makes this statement:

We don't reach this conclusion lightly.

then provides literally no arguments to back it up other than the "car is a drag car". His argument just does not hold water. It's an editorial so it's just one dipshits opinion and in this case it's a pretty lousy opinion.

The only thing I kinda sorta agree with in all of that nonsense is this

Tesla is wrong to use consumers and the roadways to beta-test its autonomous driving technologies

I know having the public beta test software is common, but the auto industry doesn't ask customers to crash test for them for a good reason, having the customer beta test automotive control technology is pretty risky - and the reports of customer accidents is the cost.

I read it twice just to see if I was missing the joke. I don't think I did. What an idiotic editorial. Especially, from a car blog.

And, ugh, the comments. Everything has to be tainted w/politics somehow. :rolleyes:

I ran across that and thought it was a total BS article but it seems legit. Couldn't believe it at all.

pretty obvious that guy's from California.

Is it? because it's an unsigned editorial which means you don't know who he or she is or where they are from. Sounds like you have a pretty narrow minded view of California. How about he (or she) is just a batshit crank and leave it at that?

I wasn't aware that not only does a car have to comply with the law it also has to comply with the laws "spirit".

Well that's the age old debate isn't it? Do you exploit literal interpretation as a loophole or do you hold people accountable for the behavior a law was intended to prevent? do you really want to let them get away with an otherwise covered crime because language isn't always adequate to cover all cases?

I think you'll actually find that thing you weren't aware of is what most judges balance in our justice system when writing their opinions and making decisions, especially procedural decisions.

But in this case it doesn't matter because the Demon isn't violating the "spirit" of any laws: there are no hp or performance caps or requirements, the car passed safety and emissions, it passed all it's requirements, its a legal car literally and in spirit. It's not more or less dangerous than any other high performance car. The writer is just writing something crazy to collect clicks.