WWCR Do (new car?)

BStowers023

So I know I just bought the Vette but honestly, I think the thought leading up to owning ended up being a lot better than actually owning it. I don't regret buying it but I don't see this working out long term. I don't think I enjoy racing like I used to and the twin disc clutch kills the enjoyment of driving it around town and becomes more of a chore than anything. I'm getting a company truck soon so I'll be able to drive it to and from work along with some short errands here and there.

My other (daily) car is a 2004 Acura TL (150k Miles) and over the past year it's been falling apart. Averaging maintenance cost around $300-500 every 3 months or so just from shit breaking. I've spent my whole adulthood fixing cars that seem to constantly break, so while the payments may be cheap, the overall cost to own is high.

Because of this, I've considered selling both and buying/leasing a cool DD that's at least kinda quick/fun to drive that I can drive all year around and that's under warranty. This car won't be a commuter to and from work (company truck) but I'd still like something comfortable, with at least decent interior features that can still manage to drive in somewhat bad weather from time to time without many issues. I'm keeping as many options open but some of my preferences are...

Manual

Average to good MPGs

Sporty

Nice interior (almost anything newer will be nice to me)

Under $20k or under $300/month lease payments

Still under warranty for at least 2+ years

Some of the cars I've considered...

Focus ST

Genesis coupe

Mustang or Camaro (4cyl turbo)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought a Focus ST last month for the wife, and it's a barrel of monkeys to drive. The ST 1 kind of sucks, the ST 3 is overkill, the ST 2 is just right. Same power train on all, but the option packages are the difference.

Sadly for you wanting a good year long dd that is somewhat fun while cheap and getting good mpg the focus/ fiesta fits the bill nicely.

Also in before people say "You can drive a camaro in the snow is not that bad jazz " yes like CAN but do you really want to ?

Mustangs are more comfortable for daily duties, but my experiences are between a base'ish model stang and a camaro with the stiff track pack and snug recaros.. so I could be wrong. Both are relatively garbage in bad weather though, compared to anything fwd mentioned above. I would check out a newer (2015?) WRX.

The Fiesta isn't bad but a little too small for me. I'm not a huge guy 6'2 210lbs but that cat is more suitable for an average size female I think. The Focus doesn't cost much more to justify the Fiesta IMO. The WRX, BRZs are a good option to look into

Not really into the Dodge's honestly. Too much bulk. I think I'm really leaning towards the Focus ST, just not sure if leasing or buying certified pre-owned would be better? Does anyone know if simple bolt ons like catback, intake, tune would void the warranty?

And I think the Corvette sensed my idea and it sounds like a lifter collapsed today :fuuuu:

Does anyone know if simple bolt ons like catback, intake, tune would void the warranty?

If anything goes wrong related to those mods, it won't be covered. From what I've heard and read online, Ford dealerships may not even touch a modded car at all.

For poor weather driving, a BRZ/FRS is not going to compare to that WRX or even the Fords you mentioned. With the right tires the BRZ is okay in the sort of snow we get in Ohio, but it isn't in the league with the other cars you've mentioned. Lots of fun to drive, though.

For poor weather driving, a BRZ/FRS is not going to compare to that WRX or even the Fords you mentioned. With the right tires the BRZ is okay in the sort of snow we get in Ohio, but it isn't in the league with the other cars you've mentioned. Lots of fun to drive, though.

I dd'd an FRS with snow tires for a winter. It was fine, ground clearance was sometimes an issue in the deeper stuff. What really annoyed me was the automatic roll down windows when you opened the door. If the window was icy, the window would lock and you would have to reset them constantly.

Of course I'm going to recommend a Focus ST. I've got almost 54k on mine and it's been rock solid. I average about 28-29 MPG on my commute and I've gotten 32-33 on the highway with premium.

2015+ Mustangs are also a great choice. Maybe open yourself up to a V6 if your looking at an EcoBoost. Little less expensive and same fun/fuel economy. Could get into a last-gen GT with low miles if you look hard enough.

What about a Civic SI or a Mazdaspeed3?

Cadillac ATS fits you 100%.

Luxurious

AWD

2.0T (277 factory hp)

Good looking

6 speed manual

Did I mention luxurious? Mine is smooth as hell, has a BOSE system, all leather, big screen, etc.

Do they react well to a tune? I'd imagine so given the stock power adder. I looked at some, they are right on the cusp of my budget. I'll probably need to drive one because comfort is definitely important. The ATS-Vs are so sick but way out of my range haha.

Of course I'm going to recommend a Focus ST. I've got almost 54k on mine and it's been rock solid. I average about 28-29 MPG on my commute and I've gotten 32-33 on the highway with premium.

2015+ Mustangs are also a great choice. Maybe open yourself up to a V6 if your looking at an EcoBoost. Little less expensive and same fun/fuel economy. Could get into a last-gen GT with low miles if you look hard enough.

What about a Civic SI or a Mazdaspeed3?

I would consider the Civic SI for sure. I feel like it's going to be more expensive than the Focus ST but with less performance but I may be wrong. I couldn't find a price point, but I'm guessing around $25kish? The interior that I saw on Honda's site did look pretty sweet though. The Mazdaspeed3 is discontinued, right? I really like the most recent body style, but it misses the one big criteria I have, warranty.

Do they react well to a tune? I'd imagine so given the stock power adder. I looked at some, they are right on the cusp of my budget. I'll probably need to drive one because comfort is definitely important. The ATS-Vs are so sick but way out of my range haha.

Hell yeah they do. Upwards of 50+ hp out of a Diablotune.

You're welcome to drive mine if you want. It's not an autocross car, but it's roomy, relatively fast, and a perfect DD.

I got mine, a 2014 with the technology package, with 12k miles for well under your budget. :)

I would consider the Civic SI for sure. I feel like it's going to be more expensive than the Focus ST but with less performance but I may be wrong. I couldn't find a price point, but I'm guessing around $25kish? The interior that I saw on Honda's site did look pretty sweet though. The Mazdaspeed3 is discontinued, right? I really like the most recent body style, but it misses the one big criteria I have, warranty.

The SI isn't a slouch as long as you're willing to push it. It's a different beast than the ST which as all that low-midrange torque from the turbo. I did just check Autotrader and they're still low-mid $20s. Wow......

I've seen some Mazdaspeeds that are CPOs pop up on Autotrader. You could always do an extended warranty on it too.

Full Disclousre, I work for Honda but other than that had nothing to do with the new Civic and these are just my personal observations.

I'm not even sure the last gen Si is still available or not. You might have been looking at the regular new gen Civic, which just underwent a full model change last year (2016 model year). I've had a a 2 Door EX with the 1.5L turbo engine and 6MT for a few months and I've been really impressed with the car so far; beat my expectations from every perspective, ride quality, noise, performance and fuel economy. The next gen Si based on the new chassis and engine is supposed to be out sometime this year... maybe this month? Personally I'm planning to upgrade to the Si when my company lease flips over later this year and keeping it for a while.

Even with the new Si not out yet, I'd highly suggest to go check out one of the normal Civics with the 1.5L turbo engine and manual trans; it's a really good combo. It's rated at 17xhp/17xtq, but feels like and dyno results are showing it's under-rated. At the very least it will give you an idea if you want to wait for the Si or not, if waiting is an option. It get's 30 more hp and 20 more TQs, a real mechanical LSD and adaptive dampers over the normal version. I think at the entry price point for the Si, probably around $25k, you won't get those last 2 in any of the hot hatch/'econo' boxes (you can't get the Si in the Hatch).

I can't really deeply comment on how the Civic or Si version would compare to the FOST or FIST, as I haven't driven those cars. I imagine the ride quality and driveability is better with some 'sacrifice' to performance; maybe not to the FIST but probably to the FOST. The better ride quailty and driveability is just kind of what happens when you compare a new model car to one that's a few years old. My understanding is that the FOST has a pretty big turbo and has some lag so that's trade off for the increased absolute performance which is just a personal taste or concept of what you want the car to do kind of thing.

Edit: Just saw the buget, you can probably get a new version of the car I have for about that much MSRP is $22k. Unfortunately they just came out with the 1.5L Turbo & MT combo this year so you won't find probably any used, and the Si with the new chassis & turbo engine is not even out yet.

Full Disclousre, I work for Honda but other than that had nothing to do with the new Civic and these are just my personal observations.

I'm not even sure the last gen Si is still available or not. You might have been looking at the regular new gen Civic, which just underwent a full model change last year (2016 model year). I've had a a 2 Door EX with the 1.5L turbo engine and 6MT for a few months and I've been really impressed with the car so far; beat my expectations from every perspective, ride quality, noise, performance and fuel economy. The next gen Si based on the new chassis and engine is supposed to be out sometime this year... maybe this month? Personally I'm planning to upgrade to the Si when my company lease flips over later this year and keeping it for a while.

Even with the new Si not out yet, I'd highly suggest to go check out one of the normal Civics with the 1.5L turbo engine and manual trans; it's a really good combo. It's rated at 17xhp/17xtq, but feels like and dyno results are showing it's under-rated. At the very least it will give you an idea if you want to wait for the Si or not, if waiting is an option. It get's 30 more hp and 20 more TQs, a real mechanical LSD and adaptive dampers over the normal version. I think at the entry price point for the Si, probably around $25k, you won't get those last 2 in any of the hot hatch/'econo' boxes (you can't get the Si in the Hatch).

I can't really deeply comment on how the Civic or Si version would compare to the FOST or FIST, as I haven't driven those cars. I imagine the ride quality and driveability is better with some 'sacrifice' to performance; maybe not to the FIST but probably to the FOST. The better ride quailty and driveability is just kind of what happens when you compare a new model car to one that's a few years old. My understanding is that the FOST has a pretty big turbo and has some lag so that's trade off for the increased absolute performance which is just a personal taste or concept of what you want the car to do kind of thing.

Edit: Just saw the buget, you can probably get a new version of the car I have for about that much MSRP is $22k. Unfortunately they just came out with the 1.5L Turbo & MT combo this year so you won't find probably any used, and the Si with the new chassis & turbo engine is not even out yet.

Yeah I was a bit confused looking it up. Looks like it'll be the 2018 model? I mean $25k might be in my range with a lease. I do really like the interior pics I saw of the new Civic.

The extended warranty on a used car is also a possibility but are extended warranties legit or would I be getting the run around if any mechanical issues occurred? I've heard some bad things about those companies and how it's pretty much a scam because of the 'fine print' but I could be wrong