Craigslist Freak-of-the-Day

Geeto67

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:barf: why would anyone even want one? I'd rather rock a moped for that kind of money lol.

For some people a motorcycle is too dangerous.

To be honest, it's kind of quirky 1970's sci-fi in a battlestar galactica sort of way. These things used to be $500 when nobody wanted electric cars in general, esp lead acid battery ones, I'd totally rock one for that. But at $5900? yeah that's for someone else.

To be honest, it's kind of quirky 1970's sci-fi in a battlestar galactica sort of way. These things used to be $500 when nobody wanted electric cars in general, esp lead acid battery ones, I'd totally rock one for that. But at $5900? yeah that's for someone else.

Exactly, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that if its cheap enough then looks wont matter, but $5900 for a cheese wedge with headlights is no bueno.

I thought the smart for 2 was bad...jezzzzzzzzzzzz

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1977-microcar-vanguard-street/6347413479.html

mace

:barf: why would anyone even want one? I'd rather rock a moped for that kind of money lol.

Guys...you make new friends on EVERY ride! You can't put a price on that!

I agree. That thing seems much safer.

the original 2CV, or deux chevaux was known for having two taxable hp (even though it had between 9 and 29hp), this has considerably more.

That's pretty cool. Talk about your sleeper.

Studebaker Avandi

I dig it.

how hard it is to spell "Avanti"? jeez.

Also seems strange that it's a "1964" since production ended 1963. The tooling and bodies were sold to a pair of Indiana dealers and production resumed in 1965 after studebaker shut down, so of all the years outside the original production run there could have been an avanti, 1964 was not one of them. because it has a 289, and I assume it's a stude engine it's probably a 1963 unit that's mislabeled, since the 1965-85 "Avanti IIs" had 327s, 350s, and 400ci small block chevys.

fun local fact the fiberglass bodies were made in Ashtabula, Ohio.

I’ve seen couple of them regularly. I’m sure it’s the shit in the day, but IMHO its hedious

There's an older woman who DD's a silver Avanti II that lives just north of the golf course near us. I'm impressed when I see it, but cringe as it's definitely an ugly 2-door-into-4-door conversion. I'm guessing it's '80s because of the rectangular headlights. I know it's a Chevy V8 but it oil-smokes a good amount, too.

The older, 2-doors are very attractive. 4-doors are paper-baggers.

There's an older woman who DD's a silver Avanti II that lives just north of the golf course near us. I'm impressed when I see it, but cringe as it's definitely an ugly 2-door-into-4-door conversion. I'm guessing it's '80s because of the rectangular headlights. I know it's a Chevy V8 but it oil-smokes a good amount, too.

The older, 2-doors are very attractive. 4-doors are paper-baggers.

I routinely see that silver one, and a red 4 door as well in the kingsdale shopping center in UA. Always in front of the same shop too.

They only made 90 of the 4 door models in 1989 (20% of production) and they were built in Youngstown Ohio.

They are technically Avant III's because of the redesign of the bumpers and headlights, even though they dropped the roman numerals and were just known as "Avanti" (both make and model). By that time the production was under it's 4th owner, John Carfaro, who had trouble selling the now "updated" coupe and convertible and thought a 4 door would make the car more practical as a family car. They are built on a new Caprice Chassis that was supplied by GM sans body.

Funny Personal Story:

My father has always been obsessed with the Avanti, but has never owned one. He had an R2 hawk in the 60's that he robbed the paxton supercharger from (the supercharger belt hangs on my wall in my garage and says "Studebaker" on it) and gets excited to talk about any of the Lowey studes. In 1990 he wrote to Carfaro for all the material on the car he could get, and walked through the process on ordering one, but he wanted to drive one first. So, on a spring weekend day in 1990, we met a guy at brookhaven airport who had just taken delivery of an automatic convertible and the whole family went for a ride. The car was a 305ci automatic red vert with tan top and interior and my father hated it. I loved the convertible (dad wanted a stick coupe) but hated the "modernized" interior. He ended up not wanting it anymore, and I went away to camp. When I came home he had bought a brand new C4 Zr1. When we were selling our ancestrial home in Flushing a couple of years ago I found all those brochures in the garage for the avanti, and dad couldn't put them in the dumpster fast enough. funny, he still loves the 1962-63 models, and even the later Avanti II's with the 327 chevys and the muncie 4 speeds, but every square headlight late 80's one to him is a piece of shit.

BTW, the final version of the avanti did redeem itself: the car used a stude chassis from 1963-1985, then a G body monte carlo chassis from 85-89, then a caprice chassis from 89 to 96, then a firebird F body chassis from 96 -2002, and an SN95 mustang chassis from 2004-2006. The Thrill of an avanti was that it was a 4 seat corvette (the body is fiberglass) which is something it lost in the 80's, but managed to get some performance back for a final push at the end.

here's a new one:

https://bloomington.craigslist.org/cto/d/pontiac-grand-prix-2004/6343192266.html

the car's nothing special but the ad made me giggle a little:

This is a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix 2004. Yes it runs. No it's not fancy. Yes there are some issues. No it's not all bad. I will be very upfront with you about everything that is wrong with it. It's been a great car for me, and hoping someone else will appreciate of its flaws.

The bad;

-250,000 miles, but has a whole lot of life left in her

-One of the back windows doesn't stay up. I have taped it up with silver duct tape. Feel free to change it up. My favorite tape I used was probably the pickle "dill with it" tape. To each their own.

-The moon roof opens. It just doesn't always close. Use at your own risk.

-The sound system is pretty amazing. There is something you need to know, though. Sometimes the sound systems starts making a weird noise. You have to hit the dash in the sweet spot and then it will stop. I can put a sticker there if you'd like so you know where it's at. One hard smack on that spot and everything is gravy again.

-The key fob battery is dead. You will have to manually unlock the doors. I know, what a pain!?

-There's a pretty decent leak in the power steering. You just have to keep putting power steering fluid in. I'll show you where to put it in, because this car's power steering is underneath the coolant reservoir. It's a real pain in the rear, but I got a long funnel you can have.

-There's an oil leak. Pretty standard for older cars.

-There's a small hole in the exhaust. I have the stuff to patch it if the noise bothers you. It just never bothered me enough to put it on there.

-brakes are grindy. Not all the time, but some of the time.

-There's a head light out. The only thing you will HAVE to fix to drive it. Well, I guess you don't have to fix it. That's up to you.....

...Other info to know;

-There are a bunch of liberal stickers on there. If you're a Trump supporter, no worries! I'll take them off or you can cover them up with a "Make America Great Again" bumper sticker. Easy peasy. I promise, I won't tell anyone that your car was previously owned by a liberal snowflake. Pinky promise.