Eclipse 2017

unfunnyryan

Anyone travelling for the upcoming total solar eclipse? It's a pretty extraordinary event and I'd love to see it from within the 60-70 mile complete coverage zone.

https://img.purch.com/h/1000/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2MC81NDUvb3JpZ2luYWwvc29sYXItZWNsaXBzZS1wYXRoLmpwZw==

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have definitely been following this. Would be cool to travel down to TN to check it out in the Smoky Mountains.

Also great to know that one is coming through Ohio in 2024 (though one could easily argue that Cleveland around April 8th will undoubtedly be cloudy :lol:).

I have to say this picture is depressing as we can only hope to live long enough to witness some of these other eclipses in the future.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/future/

21stCenturyNorthAmericanEclipses?format=1000w

So will we not be able to see this from Columbus?

You will, but it will only be partial. Iit'll be a large penumbra so we will still be lucky enough to experience something.

Still debating what I'll be doing that day. I remember there being a partial solar eclipse when I was in 5th or 6th grade in Cleveland (so that would've been 1990?) and seeing the sky get dimmer was still pretty amazing. The glasses we were given and other things our science teachers did (hole in a board projecting onto the ground, different telescope lenses) were all very memorable for me.

I didn't think much about going until I looked at the totality path. I figure I'll get up early Monday morning and if the weather forecast is favorable I'll drive 6 hours to near Princeton, Kentucky, watch the eclipse for 3 hours, then make it back home for a late supper.

My recollection was that I witnessed a total solar eclipse in 1963. However, after a few minutes of google research, I see that what I saw was only a partial eclipse, although I recall it becoming relatively dark and how I was shocked at how the insects, birds, and house pets all reacted very dramatically. That was more impressive than watching the image in the homemade pinhole cardboard camera that all of us kids made.

I'm really hoping it remains clear during this one coming up. I'd like to, just once, be there for a total eclipse.

I'm taking the day off and making the drive down to kentucky, still need to get some glasses so i dont go blind.

My understanding is that your local library may be giving away glasses starting next week.

I know UA is starting August 16th and someone told me Columbus Metro Library might. If you're in Delaware maybe check to see if Perkins Observatory does anything or one of the local colleges?

Anyone know whether a welding helmet would provide decent eye protection to watch the eclipse? I'm finding a little info on google, but nothing from any source I would consider reliable.

Man, that is a GREAT call...would be awesome if it did because I have 3 of those.