New Toy: BMW 335i

Zx2guy19

After 3 months of having my truck, I finally bit the bullet and bought a fun car. While I LOVE DD'ing my truck, I definitely miss the fun of a quick car to commute around the city in on occasion.

So yesterday, my dad and I drove up to Toledo and picked up this monster. The best part? The turbos are blown as fuck, something the seller didn't tell me about until I got there. Either way, I got a good deal on the car and am going to upgrade the turbos with Jive's help- yeah, he's a Bama fuck boy but he actually knows his shit. This thing has been meticulously maintained and has ZERO rust- looks great for a car with 97k miles.

Behold...my 2007 335i. 6 speed MT, black leather interior with aluminum trim, cold weather and sport package, 19" wheels, downpipes, catback exhaust, BOV, intakes and a catch can. Plans are upgraded turbos, new front brakes and tie rods, alignment and enjoy. MAYBE coilovers at some point.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/chopperman19/IMG_0531_zps7wpmk4qr.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/chopperman19/IMG_0519_zpsqoznpxqf.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/chopperman19/IMG_0527_zpswaahwvhp.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice car.

If you have the original wheels, I might be interested in them.

make sure to check the control arm/thrust arm bushings. They are liquid filled and when they burst they make a nasty mess and then the wheel will move back under braking. Mine went at 72K miles, but most rupture around 80-90K miles (or so I am told). I think they can be replaced with the M3 units which are solid rubber.

Hope you got a hell of a deal. Is it super high mileage, or just had the fuck abused out of it?

so much performance in that motor those BMWs, someone told me once they're going to be the new DSMs

I've had a lot of fun cars, and my 535ix turned up has been the most fun true DD I've had. For 10k, I am 10000% sure you cant get more car, period.

OP- have fun with it! :)

30k millionaire :gabe:

cool car.

Not sure what that means, but thanks.

Nice car.

If you have the original wheels, I might be interested in them.

make sure to check the control arm/thrust arm bushings. They are liquid filled and when they burst they make a nasty mess and then the wheel will move back under braking. Mine went at 72K miles, but most rupture around 80-90K miles (or so I am told). I think they can be replaced with the M3 units which are solid rubber.

It did come with the original wheels. 3/4 have good winter tires (the alignment is off on this thing). Good call on the control arms, I'll have to look into that.

Hope you got a hell of a deal. Is it super high mileage, or just had the fuck abused out of it?

so much performance in that motor those BMWs, someone told me once they're going to be the new DSMs

It has 97k miles, and they're known for turbo's to go around 100k (how fitting). I am sure it's been ridden hard with the mods on it, but these N54 engines can take it (outside of the turbos).

I've had a lot of fun cars, and my 535ix turned up has been the most fun true DD I've had. For 10k, I am 10000% sure you cant get more car, period.

OP- have fun with it! :)

Thanks dude, I'm having a blast already. I paid under 10k, and I completely agree that there are few cars, if any, that can be this fun for that price.

Not sure what that means, but thanks.

That's a term when Miller had his Mercedes C300.....those mid-level German sedans are a way for younger guys/girls that make $30k a year to "fake it 'til you make it" appearing as millionaires. It's all tongue-and-cheek.

I've seen a few 335 hardtop convertibles that have definitely piqued my interest. Prices are coming waaay down. Even with the problems, it seems the aftermarket understands how to solve/improve on them.

Hell yeah, nice score. Very good looking car. Hopefully you plan on clearing up those headlights, that's the only thing I would touch on the exterior if it were mine, it looks great exactly how it is :cool:

Honestly, if it were any other color than white, I wouldn't have bought it. I LOVE white BMW's with black wheels. I think the exterior is done- although I agree, I need to buff those lenses for sure.

That's a term when Miller had his Mercedes C300.....those mid-level German sedans are a way for younger guys/girls that make $30k a year to "fake it 'til you make it" appearing as millionaires. It's all tongue-and-cheek.

I've seen a few 335 hardtop convertibles that have definitely piqued my interest. Prices are coming waaay down. Even with the problems, it seems the aftermarket understands how to solve/improve on them.

Got it lol, thanks! I forgot this is coming from the guy who had an issue with what I rented one of my houses for, yet had 54 applicants on day one. :dumb::dumb:

Looks good dude. Can't wait to tear into it. Post a motor shot

Shit, I keep forgetting to send that to you.

I have to say, as another white BMW owner, it's a real pain in the arse paint to take care of. I'm pretty sure it is single stage, it swirls easy, chips easy, and on E90's it's really hard to keep clean (common dirty areas automatic car washes miss: lower sills, rear license plate pocket, front and rear lower bumper). Because it is a very bright white it shows dirt really easily - its almost like having a black car in how dingy it can look.

One of the things that really annoys me is that BMW charges extra for nearly every metallic paint it offers plus most of the black paints, so there are a disproportionate number of white bmws to any other color. The japanese don't do this. I didn't have much of a choice when I bought my car because I wasn't looking for it, but if I had my druthers I would have bought nearly any other color but white.

I actually have been thinking about wrapping it next year if I decide to keep it. The body on mine is so beat, and I got it so cheap it's almost worth it to drive it till it hits crumpled beer can status. but I need to fix the bent rim and blown rear shock absorber issues first.

that being said it's a really enjoyable car to drive.

I have to say, as another white BMW owner, it's a real pain in the arse paint to take care of. I'm pretty sure it is single stage, it swirls easy, chips easy, and on E90's it's really hard to keep clean (common dirty areas automatic car washes miss: lower sills, rear license plate pocket, front and rear lower bumper). Because it is a very bright white it shows dirt really easily - its almost like having a black car in how dingy it can look.

I actually have been thinking about wrapping it next year if I decide to keep it. The body on mine is so beat.

Come see me, we'll do a test panel and see what can be done. You know what can be accomplished based on a handful of what I've posted here. :p

Come see me, we'll do a test panel and see what can be done. You know what can be accomplished based on a handful of what I've posted here. :p

There are whole sheets of paint missing from the bumper, so I need to tend to that first.

Actually I should stop by just to verify that it is really thin single stage. If it is maybe I can touch up easier than I thought.

Kid put a hot wheels car on the trunk and ran it and the plastic wheels took out some tiny chips. Usually I love BASF Glasurit paint on BMW motorcycles, but this stuff is soft. Then again, I don't think it has ever had a proper coat of real wax that didn't come from an automated car wash so.....

It's extremely common on these cars, and a big reason why they go for as cheap as they do.

The interior/exterior of the car are outrageously clean. Outside of the turbos, it's mint.

Do you know if the interior is Leather or sensatec? The BMW faux leather is a really great feeling seat covering, almost indistinguishable from leather. However, during the winter it does have the same property as all other vinyl in that it gets hard and can crack and peel. Keep it conditioned with a good vinyl conditioner/protectant and it will last.

BMW doesn't offer a cloth interior in the 3 series so a lot of people say "leather" when it is sensatec. If you have the cold weather pack you probably have leather. Dakota Leather isn't Napa or Connolly, so you still want to condition the thing once a month to avoid cracking.

There are whole sheets of paint missing from the bumper, so I need to tend to that first.

Actually I should stop by just to verify that it is really thin single stage. If it is maybe I can touch up easier than I thought.

Kid put a hot wheels car on the trunk and ran it and the plastic wheels took out some tiny chips. Usually I love BASF Glasurit paint on BMW motorcycles, but this stuff is soft. Then again, I don't think it has ever had a proper coat of real wax that didn't come from an automated car wash so.....

We can measure the thickness and give it a once over. IMO it's well worth polishing out the entire car, less the front clip/bumper(s) that you can then have resprayed easily.

If you want to tell if it's single stage, just grab a dark color cloth and any cleaner wax you may have and give it a few wipes. You'll know right away.