First Hellcat in the 8's

Mallard

Engine is still "stock"

https://www.allpar.com/news/2017/10/first-stock-hellcat-breaks-into-the-8s-38625

The most impressive aspect of this Mopar muscle car is that the Hellcat Hemi engine under the hood is mainly stock. This car is running more boost, thanks to a smaller supercharger pulley, and it has a beefed-up fuel system along with a nitrous setup, all brought together with a Q16 race gas tune from Josh at High Horse Performance.

Next, the Epling Garage Hellcat Challenger has a Liberty racing manual transmission with a Liberty shifter and a pro stock style clutch, which funnels the power along a one-piece driveshaft and through a 9” DriveShaft Shop rear differential. After a small brake conversion, the Eplings added small front wheels with skinny tires and 15” rear wheels and Hoosier slicks.

Finally, the interior has been lightened up, removing things such as the passenger’s seat and the rear seat assembly, but this car still likely weighs at least 4,000 lbs. Yet, with an engine which has not been opened up since leaving the factory, this car runs high 8s.

After running 9.06 at 154 miles per hour earlier this year, the Epling Garage Dodge Challenger reset the record with an 8.91 at 156 miles per hour and both of those numbers are unrivaled by any Hellcat-powered car in the world. For those wondering, since running the 9.06, the only changes to this Challenger are a two-step ignition for a stronger launch and a new tune from Josh at HHP, along with more seat time for the guys piloting this Mopar monster down the quarter mile.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If the autos in these cars wouldn’t freak out with more than 900 wheel, there would be a few auto cars right there. These cats are finicky on tunes, but they’ll keep getting quicker.

Tonight I drove ours from Galena to Kilkare, ran a 9.7@145 and drove it home. What amazing machines.

If the autos in these cars wouldn’t freak out with more than 900 wheel, there would be a few auto cars right there. These cats are finicky on tunes, but they’ll keep getting quicker.

Tonight I drove ours from Galena to Kilkare, ran a 9.7@145 and drove it home. What amazing machines.

Hell yes that is impressive. I think people are jaded as can be with track times these days. It wasn't that long ago that a "street" car going 9's meant that it was basically a race car with plates. Now we have full weight actual street cars with amenities running in the 9s. Crazy times.

I love that we are down on a stock automatic tranny because it doesn't like "more than 900 wheel" hp. Lol. The auto world is great right now.

Love that statement. What slush box from the 80s or 90s would even think about handling 900 hp? Let's keep this shit going and not kill it off like the mid to late 70s....

Are you for real? What’s your set up if you don’t mind me asking?

Are you for real? What’s your set up if you don’t mind me asking?

Carlyle Racing really hit a home run on this build. Pullies, E85, 3.09 gears, intake and headers. Car is good for 9.6-9.7 regardless of the temps, pending it gets traction. Even poor 60’s it’s good for 9.9s.

We basically hot lapped it at the dragway 42 track day. Just taking the opportunity to tune it as much as possible. Probably made 20 passes between 10.10-9.67. Off the trailer we drove it around the track just to get the car heat soaked, because it prefers being hot.

Doubt anything else will get done to it. It’s my wife’s car and she’s more than happy with where it’s at. Maybe if a good tranny tune comes around or the demon transbreak. Both would probably have it in the 8s or darn close without tearing the car apart. Only cause we could actually spray it.

Very nice. Sounds like you've done the "easy" stuff. Taking it farther may end up costing a lot more.

Yep. Any step past this is a lot of money and will probably lose all its street ability. Transmission is like 10k on these. Just not worth it imho.

Carlyle Racing really hit a home run on this build. Pullies, E85, 3.09 gears, intake and headers. Car is good for 9.6-9.7 regardless of the temps, pending it gets traction. Even poor 60’s it’s good for 9.9s.

We basically hot lapped it at the dragway 42 track day. Just taking the opportunity to tune it as much as possible. Probably made 20 passes between 10.10-9.67. Off the trailer we drove it around the track just to get the car heat soaked, because it prefers being hot.

Doubt anything else will get done to it. It’s my wife’s car and she’s more than happy with where it’s at. Maybe if a good tranny tune comes around or the demon transbreak. Both would probably have it in the 8s or darn close without tearing the car apart. Only cause we could actually spray it.

Being a ricer I’ve always wanted a GTR, but you may have changed my mind. I do like the Charger though.

By incentives, do you mean was anything changed between MY15 and MY18 (considering cash back incentives wouldn't apply, since that car is used)? That seems like a pretty good deal on a Hellcat, not sure about factory incentives in leftover MY17's as the 18s are now rolling in. Would have to check the web site for that.

Please tell me she hauls the kids around in it? :gabe:

Mind sharing what pullies you are using?

She’ll drop the one off at school in it. The kids love it lol. She doesn’t drive it too often anymore because some ass threw gum on it at Polaris mall.

2.65 upper and 90% lower

Being a ricer I’ve always wanted a GTR, but you may have changed my mind. I do like the Charger though.

I had a GTR, really didn’t care for it. Sold it after a couple months. Was an awesome ride, but was just boring. Hellcat feels like a special car when you drive it. Hard to explain. Drive both, one will speak to you!

So much want.

I do too but I hoped to see better than low 12's at 114mph given it's power. True first world problem I know. :p Saw some recent vids of one doing high 11's but still only 114mph range.

I do too but I hoped to see better than low 12's at 114mph given it's power. True first world problem I know. [emoji14] Saw some recent vids of one doing high 11's but still only 114mph range.
I'd just be ripping 0-60's at every light.