Playing in the Streets, what's it take these days?

99StockGT

I'd like to point out that Akron SCCA will be having cash days for autocross very similar to what the guys at the drag strip do now. Run what you brung, side bets, buy backs x3. The whole shabang. I intend on going up there next season with a few hundred a day and seeing how much I can bring home. This is a legal avenue, with turns and a slightly more level playing field.

There's going to be 13 events next year, lots of cash to be had.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds interesting, where are they going to be running? While this isn't something that's PC to say... track events take planning and commitment. Essentially that's an entire day or weekend I need to devote to making sure the car is ready, loading up, getting there, prep, racing, breaking down, packing up, driving back home... Part of what's nice about playing on the streets is that instant gratification then on with your day

Ahhh AutoX is a whole different ball game! Didn't see that, thought maybe they were stepping into the dragracing game. Not flinging a 600hp muscle car around cones, that shit ain't happenin!

Even still, most AutoX events are a full day or most of one, get to the track by 8am, leave around 4pm. I need more instant gratification in my life! Lights green, GO! Win! Yay! Beers and wings!

Ahhh AutoX is a whole different ball game! Didn't see that, thought maybe they were stepping into the dragracing game. Not flinging a 600hp muscle car around cones, that shit ain't happenin!

cant-have-no-in-your-heart.jpg

Pussy. (lol...just kidding)

Even still, most AutoX events are a full day or most of one, get to the track by 8am, leave around 4pm. I need more instant gratification in my life! Lights green, GO! Win! Yay! Beers and wings!

so you gonna tell us the platform yet? Is it the phlegm colored lemans?

Oh I've flung a few things that weren't built for it around AutoX courses, hell I ran the 92 RT/TT all season with the Miata club! But once one of these things can complete a turn without having to use reverse we'll see ;)

No it's not the phlegm colored one, that's my DD :) There's another sitting in the back that is currently in the engine build process that should be ready for spring

I drive an 03 civic with crap for power, I'll take on anything just for fun. My goal is to make a 300-350hp car to have fun with and still be reliable to daily. Out here in the cornfields we have a surge of Subarus and old beat Hondas, I don't see many high power cars, also don't get out much during night time.

I'd like to point out that Akron SCCA will be having cash days for autocross very similar to what the guys at the drag strip do now. Run what you brung, side bets, buy backs x3. The whole shabang. I intend on going up there next season with a few hundred a day and seeing how much I can bring home. This is a legal avenue, with turns and a slightly more level playing field.

There's going to be 13 events next year, lots of cash to be had.

In!

Sounds like an excellent way for me to lose money. I'm in.

Let's do it.

Stop attending dumb events. UFOs lowest was 8 due to technical difficulties highest was 19. 9 to 3 and usually done earlier.

Will definitely be attending some UFO events this coming year, balancing all the weekend activities plus all the shop responsibilities can be a bit tricky. But will have the Fox out with you all next year at least a few times for sure!

So back to the subject at hand.. Playing in the Streets... :)

Or are there some super secret illegal AutoX races I'm missing out on? ;)

So I've got a question, and I mean this in all seriousness. What does it take to play on the streets these days? Back when CR was first rocking and rolling a 400whp car was haulin' and could put away pretty much anything from a roll or a stoplight ... now'a'days not so much. We see, work on, build all sorts of rides but how many of them really go out and do what we all USED to do? Do people really smash on these 1,000+ HP cars on the street or are they mostly just trophy cars and bragging rights? Or ways to hide your ill-gotten lootz?

Full disclosure I have a old school project I'm building this winter with the intent to make an old school muscle car with some newschool pieces for power adders/control and it gets me thinking, will there be people to play with? There are a Facebook group or two designed for "meets" but how/where do the big dogs communicate and play?

My "cab" makes just north of 600, plenty of fun on the street, just got it back together since the torque convertor blew up at 6400 rpms.....oh good times....:fuckyeah:

There are plenty of 1000hp cars running around, not something you see on a daily basis, but they are out there.

I don't go out and street race like a lot of the hardcore guys do, mostly because I work to much, don't have the time, or have other hobbies I participate in.

But it is fun to go catch people off guard rolling down the freeway. I have put bus lengths on some pretty cool/fast cars, and no one expected the ass whooping they got.

I won't race for money either, never have, I just like running someone for the fun of it.

Doing roll races benefits my car honestly, and it's a lot easier on parts. But generally I don't crank the boost up unless I need to.

It's not so much the run for cash thing as the just have the fun and rush of competition then maybe a beer after. Not sure how we went from friendly spirited contests as a group to "Ohh burnnnnn" "Gapped Yo Ass!" kind of culture but personally the time spent talking/BSing about what we have done and plan to do is a big part of the fun.

Certainly not looking to go out looking for a Street Fight every night or even every weekend, but it would be nice to know there are people out there putting it down on the street still. Is most of it roll racing on the loop? Random 670/71/70 encounters? Or are we doing the late night commercial park these days?

Pacemakers will certainly be in the cards, made it to a couple events this year and had a good time and saw some pretty bad ass rides. Really like the feature of having to drive from the track into town and back for those wanting to compete, gets rid of a lot of the total racecars I imagine.

So question on the "Cab", when it was out did you find yourself lining up with people for legitimate runs or was it mostly just spur of the moment punches against something expensive/modified? That's probably an excellent power level for the car to still be reasonable to drive but terrifying enough to keep you sane/sober.

Is there a FB Group thats ABOVE the 614 Car Scene group of misfits that actual drivers with actual cars use? Inquiring minds need to know!

Just build a car that's fun to drive. There is always going to be some numbnutz whose gonna want to challenge you if you at the very least look and sound the part. We are car people - we can't fight our nature.

Just be safe.

If you are talking Columbus, I have no idea. In DFW, it's kind of a mix. There are so many "fast cars here" it kind of depends what crew you are trying to fk with. In my experience, a 525whp DSM can get you a long way slaying most imports, and some lightly modded V8's. But there are a LOT of Mid 9sec to low 10 sec V8's out there, like CTS-V's, Vettes, etc rolling around that are going to pound someone like me into the ground if i'm only putting 500-550 to the ground. I've got head work, bigger cams, and a bigger turbo now, maxed out could get me close to 700hp crank, which will help, but it really comes down to who you run across. If the car isn't a pig, 600hp is fun...if it's a pig, 750-800 is where i'd need to be in order to start to be satisfied.

I would agree with the "DSM concept" - get a relatively lightweight platform, boost the garbage out of a performance engine, strip the interior, work the suspension/tires/brakes and go hunting.

C5 Corvette would be where I'd start looking, if you have to buy a platform to start with.