New Car, But It's Not CR Cool

Wease

I have a somewhat long commute (to me anyway) of 50-60 miles a day, so I've been wanting to get a decent economy car for a while now. I had been driving my SVT Contour for about two years as the daily beater, but that wasn't in my long term plans. I wanted something approaching or above 40 MPG without getting a hybrid or Smart Car. I also wanted a 5 speed and that of course limits it even more. I debated between a Yaris and Fiesta, but finding either in a sedan form (in case the family rides in it) with a manual transmission is really tough. I also didn't want to spend more than $8K. So last week I picked up a 2013 Ford Fiesta. This isn't the exact car, but it's the same exact color and trim level:

http://wease.net/pics/2013%20Fiesta.jpg

It's the base model and it's literally as basic as you can get. Crank windows, no CD player, no cruise. About the only options are power mirrors, tilt, and an aux port for your MP3 player. I drove it back from Michigan this past weekend and got 43 MPG out of it. :cool: The dealership had it for a few months because people just can't drive a stick anymore... :lol:

Least its a 5 speed. Neighbor had one in auto that just bricked one day. Had to junk it.

And since you brought up the automatics, the reviews for them were not good. All kinds of transmission issues. Even a class action lawsuit against Ford. However any review I found for the manuals was great. Hence I bought that one... :nod:

That is absolutely depressing. Can't imagine driving any significant distance in a base fiesta every day. Shit, $8k could have at least gotten you something kinda enthusiasty like a Si, if you're into wrong-wheel-drive teenager cars.

Glad you're happy with it.

That is absolutely depressing. Can't imagine driving any significant distance in a base fiesta every day. Shit, $8k could have at least gotten you something kinda enthusiasty like a Si, if you're into wrong-wheel-drive teenager cars.

Glad you're happy with it.

Check my sig, I drive a bunch of other shit. This is the MPG beater, nothing more... :lol:

Check my sig, I drive a bunch of other shit. This is the MPG beater, nothing more... :lol:

2003 Mustang Cobra

2008 G8 GT

1986 Mustang GT

2013 Ford Fiesta

2006 Infiniti QX56

something wrong with these? ditch the g8gt and get a GXP. might be halfway enjoyable highway commuter

Just curious - why can't the family ride in a hatchback? They still have 4 doors and a back seat...

They could, I just like the trunk space on the sedan better than the hatchback. We actually rented one when we were in Florida this past Summer.

No, keep piling on, it's fun to read. :lol:

I rarely use the cruise in my commute due to traffic. Manual window crank, whatever.

I love crank windows, except some cars get really nasty buffeting with just the driver's down so you gotta reach and crack another one unless you have a sunroof.

Why the hell would you cram people into this shitmobile when you have a 4-door infinity and a g8 to drive?

I'd literally never drive a car like that. Ever.

I fucking choked on an almond when I read this LOL

OP- I'm sure it'll be good to suit your needs. I just couldn't do without cruise or power windows. My mom had a Fiesta for awhile and it was slow as shit.

I like it. There is something cathartic about having a reliable car that you can treat like an empty beer can.

It's stick, it's got crank windows, and A/c. It's not the hero you deserve, but it's got everything you need.

This thread is why I never posted my new daily. Base 2017 Chevy Spark LS, plain as plain can be with crank windows, no options, nothing. I bought a cruise module on eBay for $280 and a key fob for $9 but that’s it. Work pays per mile so why not get something cheap that I won’t feel bad when it’s trashed after a year or two of driving? Plus maximizing their mileage payment while using minimal fuel only pads my pocket.

I like it. There is something cathartic about having a reliable car that you can treat like an empty beer can.

It's stick, it's got crank windows, and A/c. It's not the hero you deserve, but it's got everything you need.

be careful in agreeing with him. The CR pointy elbow police will come after you. lol.