What would CR do? (Colt Content)

coltboostin

Well I am at a crossroads. Time is limited, so I have to plan my next move. Galant runs perfect, and needs nothing, so I will likely leave well enough alone. Maybe throw a Cam at it? But that's an afternoon of work.

The Colt also runs really well, but need some attention. The D shaft issues need to be addressed. Other than that- a Cage would be a good idea- and I need a day of wiring/gauge finalizing and clean up. As for the power plant, I have a few options. *note* I have all options in hand*

Goals- hit up a few IFOs. Compete in Roll Racing segment of SCT events in C bus and Indy, and whatever class it works in at the shootout

1) Leave it. It traps 156 with room left for boost. Make the suspension work better- make it safer, and chase better ETs.

Pro- Easiest winter plan. Prob tickle low 160s mph turned up with a little more Cam. Pro class payout is $1600, but car would have to be lucky to win

Con- with this- the 67mm turbo puts me in a pro class where the car may not be competitive.

2) Put a 6266 on the car and make it FIS legal. Turned up- I would hope it goes 153-155mph

Pros- be ultra competitive in IFOs FIS class.

Cons-Max effort will be slower. FIS WINNING payout only $300

3) Put a GT42 on it and try to set the record for fastest car held together by zip ties.

PROs- Turbo bigger than engine. Full Savagery. No airflow ceiling. Likely best turbo for any 1/2 mile, or roll racing event. Best chance to win a pro lass ay IFO

Cons-Slowest spool. Have to redo everything up front to get it to fit.

WWCRD??

First off, let me saw glad to hear you are interested in coming down to Cbus for Street Car Takeover in June! Should be a pretty fun and likely viciously expensive weekend. :) My .02 on the next phase is...

What's more fun for YOU? Personally I wouldn't be building it based on the chance of winning a purse unless there's a more than decent chance at a purse that's worth more than a weekend of racing+hotels+food+beer. Winning purse of $300? Yea not worth "building" for. Add a zero to that and sure, maybe.

Lastly, put some damn safety in the thing regardless! That thing is insane as it is and god for bid something happen on track in car that's not designed to take much of a crash at 60 much yes 160!

P.S. If you beat my big angry Pontiac with your little pissed off Colt I'm buying your beers so that's off the "travel budget" ;)

Yes I understand on a 4 cylinder it’s not practical but anyone ever done a twin turbo 4g63?

Yes, but you have to use Autos. Im all-in with the Man pedal at the moment.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/4g63t-twin-engine.507773/

Why are you considering anything other than 3?

Old age clouding my judgement :dumb:

First off, let me saw glad to hear you are interested in coming down to Cbus for Street Car Takeover in June! Should be a pretty fun and likely viciously expensive weekend. :) My .02 on the next phase is...

What's more fun for YOU? Personally I wouldn't be building it based on the chance of winning a purse unless there's a more than decent chance at a purse that's worth more than a weekend of racing+hotels+food+beer. Winning purse of $300? Yea not worth "building" for. Add a zero to that and sure, maybe.

Lastly, put some damn safety in the thing regardless! That thing is insane as it is and god for bid something happen on track in car that's not designed to take much of a crash at 60 much yes 160!

P.S. If you beat my big angry Pontiac with your little pissed off Colt I'm buying your beers so that's off the "travel budget" ;)

Ha! thanks.

I would not be "expecting" or planing to win any class really. I like the competition, and it would be fun to be "competitive". I agree the $300 payout is not worth building a car, but the FIS class is arguably the most popular "fast" class. Loaded, and competitive class if you in the high 9s. Pro, well I'd just have to hope to get lucky as there are always a few low 8 sec auto cars at races. I had a lot of fun with IFO in 2004-2006 and went back and forth with the likes of J ShreK, and Jon Moore, and SlowMo for 1st place at most events, and that was back when it was a $1000 payout.

Purpose? Same as always, I want a street car that makes my ass pucker for as minimal of an investment as possible. Its just a toy, nothing else. I have not done more than test and tunes and lots of street hits over the last few years, so maybe I am unrealistic to think I will do any more moving forward?

To put it in perspective- the 1/2 mile events and roll racing stuff is far more attractive to me than chasing an ET, simple because i am 500% less likely to break drivetrain parts doing it. I dont want to spend the money it would take to keep an 8 second stock shift 5 speed 4 banger together for a season of drag racing.

Edited by coltboostin

3 sounds expensive, with a lot more demand for improved suspension/safety equipment. Is that in the budget? (Both money AND time?)

I can make anything cheap ;)

Its not expense, its time. Lots of little stuff like converting the IC to full 3 inch, all pipes, exhaust....ect. I have the turbo and manifold already.

The car wont be getting more than a 6 point no matter what I do-I have the pipes to do it and anything more I cant easily do in my garage. It will be enough to pass IFO eye ball tech, but the car wont have an "8.50 cert" cage nor a chute unless someone donates one too me LOL. For IHRA and NHRA, the car will likely be illegally fast for "real" competition

Nah broasif not a twin engine I know you were at that route at one point in your day and it did not pan out ... I was talking 2 turbos on the 1 engine just because it would be different and that seems right up your ally

Ah, got ya.

Yes, twin and compounds have been done. I am actually the only one I have ever seen complete a true twin turbo 4G63 in my old Rx7. Worked surprisingly well.

http://projectzerog.com/images/rx7trans/rx7swap.jpg

Not the best pic, but all I can find at the moment

Would twin-compound turbos help get the GT42 spooling faster for option 3?

I would not be concerned about the Gt42 spool. I know it, Im used to it. As long as your in the right RPM range its a non issue for roll or drag racing.

Big question is- is it better than a 6766 for the HP range I will be in? That Im not sure of. If you poke around here http://dsmtimes.org/times.php?Page=1 It looks like the realistic ceiling for a 6766 is the mid 150s. Seeing how well the car is working on just some test hits, I have a very real taste for 160+ in the 1/4 and 200+ in the half.

Ah, got ya.

Yes, twin and compounds have been done. I am actually the only one I have ever seen complete a true twin turbo 4G63 in my old Rx7. Worked surprisingly well.

http://projectzerog.com/images/rx7trans/rx7swap.jpg

Not the best pic, but all I can find at the moment

Nice didn’t know the 7 was twin. Do it again and test out some small on3 new turbos ??

Nice didn’t know the 7 was twin. Do it again and test out some small on3 new turbos ??

Yeah it was a twin Ebay 50 trim first on a 2.4, then Single GT45, then single 50 trim on a 2.0 with various D50/Starquest/and Rx7 transmissions behind it. Most of the pcis from that car where lost when my buddies server crashed, but there are some still floating around I have to try and find.

Safety and 1/2+ events.

Jes, but which turblo?

Regardless of what you do with your cars my suggestion is to get the issues with your D shaft worked out.

Yes that's the first priority

Yeah it was a twin Ebay 50 trim first on a 2.4, then Single GT45, then single 50 trim on a 2.0 with various D50/Starquest/and Rx7 transmissions behind it. Most of the pcis from that car where lost when my buddies server crashed, but there are some still floating around I have to try and find.

Jes, but which turblo?

Yes that's the first priority

42r lag machine

How do think it would fair at the Ohio Mile? I know the safety regs would be a bitch, but as it's been stated you've got kids now. A closed course event with safety crews there and strict inspections before hand means you have the best chance of going home at the end of the event. You said you are already bored chasing ETs.