What would CR do? (Colt Content)

coltboostin

Would twin-compound turbos help get the GT42 spooling faster for option 3?

Yes, but I wont do a compound on this car. Low end torque is something im trying to avoid, not add!

How's it go, go big or go home? We've never met but I'm guessing you just need someone to say go option 3 and fuck these other lesser ideas.

:fuckyeah:

42r lag machine

My only hesitation. The set right now is pretty peppy especially with the small runner China manifold-but this may go out the window when I give it more Cam which is likely over winter.

How do think it would fair at the Ohio Mile? I know the safety regs would be a bitch, but as it's been stated you've got kids now. A closed course event with safety crews there and strict inspections before hand means you have the best chance of going home at the end of the event. You said you are already bored chasing ETs.

Ohio Mile safety for the speeds I would see is extreme for the budget. I would effectively need a 25. 5 cage, full Halon....ect. Also I would have to design the entire cooling system for a 1 mile WOT run. The 1/2 mile is much easier on the car, and the wallet!

Yes, but I wont do a compound on this car. Low end torque is something im trying to avoid, not add!

:fuckyeah:

My only hesitation. The set right now is pretty peppy especially with the small runner China manifold-but this may go out the window when I give it more Cam which is likely over winter.

Ohio Mile safety for the speeds I would see is extreme for the budget. I would effectively need a 25. 5 cage, full Halon....ect. Also I would have to design the entire cooling system for a 1 mile WOT run. The 1/2 mile is much easier on the car, and the wallet!

Assuming you're using link? Can you setup rolling anti lag with these days?

Plus the Ohio mile is dead, it's now the Arkansas mile for 2018 thanks to Amazon.

Honestly, It's your car so you do what makes you happy, but it just seems like a car like this was made for Land speed racing. I don't know what your aspirations are but what about doing 4-5 miles at Bonneville and trying to get into the 200mph club? It would be a once in a lifetime thing but people spend 2-3 times more than what you have in that little colt and never make it close - with the right aero and gears that little DSM probably has 200+mph in it.

Assuming you're using link? Can you setup rolling anti lag with these days?

A super hack way that does not work nearly as well as AEM/Haltech. May as well brake boost.

Plus the Ohio mile is dead, it's now the Arkansas mile for 2018 thanks to Amazon.

Honestly, It's your car so you do what makes you happy, but it just seems like a car like this was made for Land speed racing. I don't know what your aspirations are but what about doing 4-5 miles at Bonneville and trying to get into the 200mph club? It would be a once in a lifetime thing but people spend 2-3 times more than what you have in that little colt and never make it close - with the right aero and gears that little DSM probably has 200+mph in it.

At this point, I dont have enough interest for that kind of financial commitment-to either the saftey or the travel/fees associated with that. May be something I consider after retirement, but with young kids I try to spend my free time with them. I wont go any further than Indy/Chicago for a race of any kind. Just dont have the time, and would not want to spend the money without first researching the classes and seeing where I have a chance to set a record. IMO- There is zero chance I would go out there just for fun. If Im going, I'm going to try and get my name in the record books.

At this point, I dont have enough interest for that kind of financial commitment-to either the saftey or the travel/fees associated with that. May be something I consider after retirement, but with young kids I try to spend my free time with them. I wont go any further than Indy/Chicago for a race of any kind. Just dont have the time, and would not want to spend the money without first researching the classes and seeing where I have a chance to set a record. IMO- There is zero chance I would go out there just for fun. If Im going, I'm going to try and get my name in the record books.

Nobody goes to bonneville with a car and trailer "just for fun", everyone there is trying to set a record, many don't and that's the challenge. It's usually brutally hot, the courses are 4-5 miles (short) and 7+ miles (long), the altitude is 4200 ft (almost a mile high with density altitude sometimes over 5000), and there isn't civilization around for miles so everyone camps (bring water). It's probably the only world class motorsport left that is 100% open for amateurs to compete against professionals but the conditions to do so are not for the faint.

I get the spending time thing with kids and can't argue with it at all. Going to something like speedweek is a commitment, even as a spectator.

As far as rules and records, I have an older SCTA rule book you can borrow to get a feel for the classes (I have a new one on order, although very little changes), and all the records are online (although they don't always tell you the vehicle that set the record). Most of the east coast and mid west LSR rule books mirror the safety guidelines so if you are good for ECTA or Loring you are probably good for Bonneville as well. You can at least get a feel for the classes you want to run in and see where people stand. I believe the Modified blown fuel coupe class (which is where you would probably run) for under 2.0L engines the record is 230mph and the same class but on pump gas is 227mph, so there is the number to beat.

just putting it out there because 1/2 mile eventually leads to mile, and mile eventually leads to the salt.

Yes I understand on a 4 cylinder it’s not practical but anyone ever done a twin turbo 4g63?

I've seen pics of a janky TT put together. Not sure what gains one would see.

Compound is a better idea. Been done, and done well a few times.

Then there is twin charging. Ray Peters did it. It's freaking awesome, BUT, make a ton of torque. Ray said something to the tune of 500ftlbs by 3000rpm which led to all kinds of issues to figure out regarding input shafts as he went through several. This was with a GT35r and an eaton m62.

Sell it and buy bitcoin?

Its as volatile as this think will be at 200mph ;)

As far as rules and records, I have an older SCTA rule book you can borrow to get a feel for the classes

just putting it out there because 1/2 mile eventually leads to mile, and mile eventually leads to the salt.

I have a SCTA book from when I was working with the team to get the mile to Ohio from Wilmington. Its a professional level of safety equip. Its not for me.

And I have to adamantly disagree with the second statement. Out of the 20 or so people I have a personal relationship that have done 2 or more 1/2 mile events, not one of them has talked about doing a mile, or getting on Salt. The appeal to the 1/2 mile is you can take a real street car and do it. No radical cooling systems, no need to add a pile of statey equipment, just grip ti and rip it. The Cage alone would render anything you take there a full race car.

Its like comparing an Autocross to a Le Mans race.

Get it as safe/reliable as humanly possible and sell it to me. Subscribed. Not gonna lie, I’ve been removed from Columbus for over 10 years. Threads like this keep a 40 year old man in the game/interested in the car scene. Props.

You would be on the bottom 5% of people I would expect to be interested in this thing!

So I'll take it as a compliment. Thanks :)

I've seen pics of a janky TT put together. Not sure what gains one would see.

Ha! actually found a pic of them on the car. To this day, the only Twin turbo 4G63 I have ever seen

rx7finished07031-XL.jpg

And here is a video of owner #3 (after me) selling the car down in Alabama with some changes but it still had my whale dick exhaust lol.

Ha! actually found a pic of them on the car. To this day, the only Twin turbo 4G63 I have ever seen

rx7finished07031-XL.jpg

And here is a video of owner #3 (after me) selling the car down in Alabama with some changes but it still had my whale dick exhaust lol.

I can't find a pic of the one I saw years ago, but it was an atrocity to look at.

Love it!!!

Lulz.

I've kicked around the idea of doing a compound, but doing it differently than most with the bigger turbo seeing the exhaust gas first.

I really don't understand the point of running a twin setup on a 4 banger.

That being said, a small dry shot its easier/cheaper to get quicker spool.