All new 2019 RAM 1500

Mallard

After seeing the new Silverado reveal, and knowing what the F150 has, the new RAM is killing it.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-ram-1500-gets-hybrid-tech-and-an-insane-12-inc-1822056899

Hands down, this will be the best truck on the market, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly I think I'd rather have the Ford, the Ram doesn't look all bad, but GM's direction for the last few years is just disappointing. Their cars and trucks have not gotten any more reliable, in alot of cases worse, and the styling just sucks. I guess it just comes down to knowing what to expect from the Ford, and feeling more uneasy about Chrysler products. I can't get the image of rusty ass Rams out of my head.

I think the aftermarket will be able to make a Ram or F-150 look alot better, the lines on a Silverado just ruin it.

I'm surprised by the 12" touchscreen and the rotary shifter. Those don't bother me, but I don't think of those as selling points for the average new truck customer.
The rotary shifter is easy to use, even with gloves, and it frees up a lot of space in the center console.

The 12" screen is optional on some models, standard on top luxury trims. There are 3 different screen sizes available across the full model range. Pickups have become high content luxury vehicles (at the top of the range) and RAM has the nicest interior with more features thelan any of the trucks out there.

As much as I want to be a Ram guy and still love my 07 Ram, I don't see myself buying another one until the rust issues are addressed. This truck in aluminum would potentially make me a buyer. Touchscreens and nice leather are great and all but I probably wouldn't call it a worthwhile purchase if it starts to develop body rot @ only 7 yrs and 75k miles old (story of my current truck).

I won't buy a new aluminum Ford, I'll just keep driving my slightly rusty payed off Ram until something new comes along that I feel will survive Ohio winters.

Interesting to see. I ended up getting a 2015 Ram big horn the end of last year. When I was looking around for the money the Ram got me the most options, least miles, and newest by far. The rotary shifter was odd at first but as Phil said it is easy to use and does free up a lot of space. I believe they went to this in 2014/15 so it isn't new. This is the first Ram/ Chrysler i have owned but so far i am enjoying it.

Actually Mallard, you're a Chrysler employee, right? Why don't you float the idea of a 10-15 year corrosion warranty on new trucks (one that covers more than holes rusted completely through critical components).

Fewer features! More Warranty!

As much as I want to be a Ram guy and still love my 07 Ram, I don't see myself buying another one until the rust issues are addressed. This truck in aluminum would potentially make me a buyer. Touchscreens and nice leather are great and all but I probably wouldn't call it a worthwhile purchase if it starts to develop body rot @ only 7 yrs and 75k miles old (story of my current truck).

I won't buy a new aluminum Ford, I'll just keep driving my slightly rusty payed off Ram until something new comes along that I feel will survive Ohio winters.

I hate to say it, but that's a Daimler era product and they cheaped out on everything. My supervisors early 2000's Wrangler frame was rusting like crazy too. When Daimler left, so did their practices. The new trucks are different in many ways. They're not even made in the same plant as before.
Actually Mallard, you're a Chrysler employee, right? Why don't you float the idea of a 10-15 year corrosion warranty on new trucks (one that covers more than holes rusted completely through critical components).

Fewer features! More Warranty!

Next ti.e the suggestion box opens up I'll throw that in.
Am I the only one who thinks the Silverado, F150, Ram and Tundra all look similar now?
Other forums have pointed this out too. The biggest difference is in the interior and the technology they offer. For instance, the new Silverado released Saturday STILL doesn't offer blind spot detection, ACC, LKA, etc. Their interior looks like crap compared to the new RAM too. Feature-wise, the closest thing to the new RAM is the Lincoln Navigator (minus the 22 way massaging seats).

1) Fuck new truck pricing. YES, I'm a business guy that understands the economics behind trucks to U.S. automotive market manufacturers.

2) In addition to Cordell's comments above (100% agree BTW), I am still pissed that GM tried sniping at Ford with their stupid "Not Actors" ad campaign by ripping on aluminum bodies and then copying the tech within a lunar cycle.

3) Ford has done such a good job with the F-150 over the last few years (Raptor, EcoBoost, Aluminum bodies, etc) that I will always give them far more credit than GM or Chrysler. Even if most tee-ruks look the same.

4) See Point #1 above.

Every RAM...I mean every time I see a decent one...makes me think "84-year loan", "subprime lending", and/or "Rust through in 6 years". FCA has a serious, overarching quality issue with their products (with very few exceptions) that will never be fixed in my mind.

I hate to say it, but that's a Daimler era product and they cheaped out on everything. My supervisors early 2000's Wrangler frame was rusting like crazy too. When Daimler left, so did their practices. The new trucks are different in many ways. They're not even made in the same plant as before.

I hear you loud and clear, and if you and and your fellow Ram engineers are that confident things have changed, marketing needs to offer a corrosion warranty with some teeth. I think that alone will improve consumer confidence, including my own. Other than that, only seeing current body style trucks driving around WITHOUT huge rust holes in 10 years is going to change perceptions.

All that BS aside, I do think the new trucks look good, though more like a generic distillation of current F150/Tundra body styles like others have noted. Looks like the big chrome wheel option in the one picture needs more sidewall to proportionally fill the wheel well though. My immediate reaction is that it looks like someone slapped some aftermarket wheels on there but chose not to go up a tire size to avoid paying for speedo recalibration :).

1) Fuck new truck pricing. YES, I'm a business guy that understands the economics behind trucks to U.S. automotive market manufacturers.

2) In addition to Cordell's comments above (100% agree BTW), I am still pissed that GM tried sniping at Ford with their stupid "Not Actors" ad campaign by ripping on aluminum bodies and then copying the tech within a lunar cycle.

3) Ford has done such a good job with the F-150 over the last few years (Raptor, EcoBoost, Aluminum bodies, etc) that I will always give them far more credit than GM or Chrysler. Even if most tee-ruks look the same.

4) See Point #1 above.

Every RAM...I mean every time I see a decent one...makes me think "84-year loan", "subprime lending", and/or "Rust through in 6 years". FCA has a serious, overarching quality issue with their products (with very few exceptions) that will never be fixed in my mind.

For #2, I wouldn't say GM copied them on the aluminum thing. The Silverado only has aluminum doors, hood, and tailgate. None of the body panels are aluminum, while the F150 is all aluminum. The RAM has Al hood and tailgate but not the doors.

The main reason for this, IMO, is the investment cost. To convert to Al, Ford had to completely empty and clean the assembly plant of any iron/steel dust. Have you seen the process a repair shop has to go through when repairing an F150? Now imagine doing that to an entire assembly plant.

But, yea, those commercials are annoying.

1) Every RAM...I mean every time I see a decent one...makes me think "84-year loan", "subprime lending", and/or "Rust through in 6 years". FCA has a serious, overarching quality issue with their products (with very few exceptions) that will never be fixed in my mind.

This absolutely.

I hear you loud and clear, and if you and and your fellow Ram engineers are that confident things have changed, marketing needs to offer a corrosion warranty with some teeth. I think that alone will improve consumer confidence, including my own. Other than that, only seeing current body style trucks driving around WITHOUT huge rust holes in 10 years is going to change perceptions.

Yep. VW had this issue after the Touareg 1/2. Lots of reliability issues and it hurt the Treg brand. The redesigned 3rd gens came out with a 10/100k powertrain warranty and it helped tremendously.

lol who buys this shit

About every other neighbor of yours. Well maybe not YOUR neighbors, they're buying cutlass supremes and impalas...

But the suburban neighborhoods are flooded with these, as are work parking lots.

I don’t hate the new Silverado styling (don’t love it either)- I know I am in the minority. My problem is, when you are investing this kind of coin in a truck you better believe in the reliability. My experience with GM leads me to believe my truck will last.

I want to see how Chevy dropped 450 pounds from the trucks. From what I remember, when Ford went all aluminum they only matched the Chevy’s weight - now it is 450 pounds lighter? That will have to pay dividends in performance. I am not one that needs ALL the tech - will gladly sacrifice that for reliability.

new trucks are LOL. who the fuck needs a $30k+ half-ton with 2k payload and 10k towing?

memba when half-tons were <$20k and ran 200k with barely any maintenance? And didn't rust out after 10 years in ohio winters? pepperidge farm remembers

LOL at all this tech turning feature-heavy trucks into non-working piles of garbage in a decade

Just curious: what makes it the best on the market?

The rotary shifter is easy to use, even with gloves, and it frees up a lot of space in the center console.

So does a column shifter. And lol, of course the rotary is easy to use. It's a knob. You turn it. Not rocket surgery.

4) See Point #1 above.

micdrop.smilie.jpg