New auto to be built in Central Ohio

Doc1647545523

Over the last few months CR member Rob Fields (rfields) has been sharing with me plans that he and his father have for building a limited-production car for track and street use. You may know Rob from his company, GoodAero https://www.facebook.com/GOODAero-211982355495988/ Last week he updated me that the first of five pre-production models is near completion and slated to compete in One Lap of America this May.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/cardinal/cardinal_zpsiwwnrmov.jpg

On paper it is a very impressive car, even in base form, with a street trim weight of 2200 lbs. It accepts most drivetrains which allows power upgrades from the standard 310 hp up to 785 hp (with an Edelbrock supercharged crate coyote motor). I love the styling of the Cardinal and am considering buying one of the pre-production cars. All five should be complete and on the streets by the end of the summer. The philosophy has been to have all of the wear-and-tear or easily damaged components commonly available through either Ford or from the aftermarket.

Specs of the base Cardinal are here:

https://fieldsautoworks.com/cardinal/

The price of the remaining pre-production cars are just under 50k, with upgrades priced very reasonably. If anyone here on CR thinks they may have an interest in this car, post to the thread and I'm sure Rob will see your post, join in the discussion, answer your questions and get you in the loop. I believe his plans are to bring one or two of these to Cars & Coffee at some point this spring/summer.

Feel free to tell me what you think so far. I'm anxious to see how it competes in May and to go for a test drive. ;)

More information about Rob, his father, and their company can be found here:

https://fieldsautoworks.com/

Edited by Doc

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That car without a v8 will undoubtedly feel like something is missing. I'd spend the money on getting one with a v8. Cool car, but options up quickly.

You'd be buying one for the uniqueness not its actual all out performance, although it could be immense with the proper options.

Interesting. Would aluminum frame save more weight with the same stiffness? Is it more expensive? Is viewing of these vehicles possible in the current developmental stage?

I like the idea of a car with a weight range in the sub 1 (metric) tonne powered with a naturally-aspirated V8 such as an LS7 or the Ford 5.0l Coyote. Is there enough space to put in a V10? I like the choice for the suspension configuration.

Keep it up, I can't wait to see it.

That car without a v8 will undoubtedly feel like something is missing.

I respect your opinion and I agree with most of what you've said. However, I was surprised at the above comment about the feeling that something is missing without the power upgrades. 310 horsepower in a 2200 lb car seems to me would be a lot of giddy-up. But then again, the "feeling that something is missing" is a very subjective thing that stats cannot prove or disprove. I'm anxious to see what you think if you choose to test drive one. And, if what I understood from Rob is correct, even someone of your height can fit in one.

Interesting. Would aluminum frame save more weight with the same stiffness? Is it more expensive? Is viewing of these vehicles possible in the current developmental stage? ..... Is there enough space to put in a V10?

I will leave it to Rob to answer those questions when he posts to the thread, although I'd be surprised if anyone will be allowed to poke around the Car #1 before it goes to One Lap in May.

Will it be street-legal?

I hid the answer to this question in the first sentence of the first post in the thread. :p

What engine is in it?

I believe it's the 2.3 L, Ford Ecoboost, but Rob would have to give you the details on that.

This is really cool. How have I not heard of this??

We're still (mostly) in stealth mode. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

That car without a v8 will undoubtedly feel like something is missing. I'd spend the money on getting one with a v8. Cool car, but options up quickly.

You'd be buying one for the uniqueness not its actual all out performance, although it could be immense with the proper options.

We're going for more Alfa Romeo TZ2 / Aston DP215 than cobra. However, we certainly recognize that for some, a v8 makes immediate sense in this platform, so we designed it to accept a range of engines on the same, high-horsepower rated drivetrain. All out performance will be pretty damn impressive for the price, even with the base car.

Interesting. Would aluminum frame save more weight with the same stiffness? Is it more expensive? Is viewing of these vehicles possible in the current developmental stage?

I like the idea of a car with a weight range in the sub 1 (metric) tonne powered with a naturally-aspirated V8 such as an LS7 or the Ford 5.0l Coyote. Is there enough space to put in a V10? I like the choice for the suspension configuration.

Keep it up, I can't wait to see it.

A lot, and I mean a lot of work has gone into the frame and we're refining all the time. However, at this point, it probably holds the least opportunity for further weight savings. More than happy to have detailed tech discussions about the choices we're making offline.

Seriously seriously interested parties are welcome to meet and possibly see the cars at any time. Bring your V10 and checkbook, and we'll make it fit! (It may fit already if it says "Judd" on it - see comment regarding checkbook)

Will it be street-legal? Apologies for forgetting how this can be titled/licensed.

Awesome news, and surprised I hadn't heard of this before.

Path to the street is same as other low-volume cars a la Noble/Rossion. Definitely not the most wonderful process, but also not foreign territory.

Saved for later.

What engine is in it?

2.3L Ecoboost in the base car, other options available. With just a Ford-supplied chip tune / intake configuration, you can be sitting at 385 hp/410 ft lbs in a car weighing between 1800 and 2200 lbs depending on other options.

We're going for more Alfa Romeo TZ2 / Aston DP215 than cobra...

You can really see the DP215 influence in the nose, as well as some Facel Vega, Morgan Aero 8, and ferrari Barchetta. You can really see the Alfa TZ2 in the rear styling, along with some ferrari 275 GTB4 and shelby Daytona coupe. I'd love to see some side and 3/4 profile images to see how this all pulls together but so far you are in good company.

I respect your opinion and I agree with most of what you've said. However, I was surprised at the above comment about the feeling that something is missing without the power upgrades. 310 horsepower in a 2200 lb car seems to me would be a lot of giddy-up. But then again, the "feeling that something is missing" is a very subjective thing that stats cannot prove or disprove. I'm anxious to see what you think if you choose to test drive one. And, if what I understood from Rob is correct, even someone of your height can fit in one.

I believe it's the 2.3 L, Ford Ecoboost, but Rob would have to give you the details on that.

Yeah, it's just what you pointed out. It's not that the car would be a poor performer, on paper it should rip just fine in "base" trim. It's hard to put into words, but the "somethings missing" is all I can come up with.

Another thing, the power band wouldn't be to my liking with the 2.3 ecoboost. I'd want a higher revving engine like what can be accomplished with a coyote v8, and even more so with the power pack 3 installed (gt350 intake manifold, intake, throttle body and tune). It'd be a monster, have the soundtrack to match, and the powerband appropriate for a car like this.

If someone 6'6" could fit in this, that'd be one hell of a car. Very glad you posted this, and look forward to following the thread and maybe seeing them in person this year.

We're going for more Alfa Romeo TZ2 / Aston DP215 than cobra. However, we certainly recognize that for some, a v8 makes immediate sense in this platform, so we designed it to accept a range of engines on the same, high-horsepower rated drivetrain. All out performance will be pretty damn impressive for the price, even with the base car.

2.3L Ecoboost in the base car, other options available. With just a Ford-supplied chip tune / intake configuration, you can be sitting at 385 hp/410 ft lbs in a car weighing between 1800 and 2200 lbs depending on other options.

I'm assuming this is the mustang version of the 2.3 and not the focus RS version? Does the motor come with a warranty when used for this type of build?

Looking forward to seeing/hearing more about this vehicle.

Any chance we can setup a CR tour to see some of the build phase? I'm sure people would be fine with no phones / cameras.

Would like to know too.

There is something old world about the front end but in a good way.

+1

That would be a great time, I'm sure.

This is something we would be very enthusiastic about putting together, but groups bigger than 3 or 4 will probably be a mid-summer and later time frame. Stay tuned, and we'll make a bigger CR-open event happen. If just a couple people want to stop by in the more immediate term, shoot me a pm and we'll set something up.

You can really see the DP215 influence in the nose, as well as some Facel Vega, Morgan Aero 8, and ferrari Barchetta. You can really see the Alfa TZ2 in the rear styling, along with some ferrari 275 GTB4 and shelby Daytona coupe. I'd love to see some side and 3/4 profile images to see how this all pulls together but so far you are in good company.

Good company indeed! Front quarter is almost ready for the website so here's a preview:

rL4JzE.jpg

Hi Rob!

Is that Bobby Ligero? Mr. Diamante himself?

Edited by rfields

• 3 weeks later...
If someone 6'6" could fit in this, that'd be one hell of a car. Very glad you posted this, and look forward to following the thread and maybe seeing them in person this year.

Did some ergonomics and fit testing this past weekend. For the stock reclining seat with sliders, at 6'3" I'm right at the upper limit and wearing a helmet would be uncomfortably tight. However, just taking the lower pad out of the stock seat brought me down 3" and 1" further back. With a different seat (fixed back, no sliders, thinner padding), I was 4.5" lower and 3" further back than with the full stock seat.

Part of our intended purchase process is to literally fit each car to the buyer with adjustments in pedals, steering wheel spacing, and seating position. 6'6" plus a helmet plus maintaining comfort is certainly a bit challenging, but given the customizable nature of our product I am certain we could accommodate you.

• 1 month later...

In the process of doing some fitment and plumbing checks, we inadvertently set a couple nice metrics that show the simplicity and ease-of-service of the design.

2 people, using only hand tools and a basic hoist, disconnected all connections and removed the front of the drivetrain (transmission output shaft to front of engine) in 45 minutes.

We later had the engine, flywheel, clutch assembly, throw-out bearing, and transmission all laid out in a row next to the car. Again 2 people, using only hand tools and a basic hoist, had the entire drivetrain package bolted together, mounted in the chassis, and ready for fluid and electrical fittings to be reconnected in 2 hours. Repeating that process with power tools would be expected to take closer to 1 hour.

We'll need a little more practice and people to take on Audi's Le Mans effort of changing a transmission in 6 minutes, but we still felt this was a good testament to our design's simplicity.

I've worked out a small CR tour with Rob to see their current progress.

The tour will be the morning of Saturday June 16th in Plain City.

If you are interested please PM me. The group size needs to stay small so first come first served for the limited spots.

I've worked out a small CR tour with Rob to see their current progress.

The tour will be the morning of Saturday June 16th in Plain City.

If you are interested please PM me. The group size needs to stay small so first come first served for the limited spots.

PMed.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone else is interested in the tour I have a few spots left.

It's this Saturday June 16th at 10:30am in Plain City. Coffee and doughnuts provided.

Please PM me so I can get you on the list and send the address.

• 3 weeks later...