Let's Discuss Paint: Bright and Bold? or Dark and Quiet?

ShowHBK

I have not made a post like this in a while and I thought I would try and spin up some discussion on something I've wondered about for a while now. Does the color of your car mater?

I was reading this article when I came accross this quote from Henry Ford “Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black”. The article goes on to say that the most popular automotive color in 2013 was white followed by black, grey, and silver.

I find this all to be interesting because as we all know, back in the day cars were a melody of different bright colors. Images like the one below really strike and accord with me for a number for reasons. Everyone is smiling, the car is bright yellow like a high viability jacket screaming "LOOK AT ME!!!", and the design evokes a feeling of the future for all who lay eyes on it.

18l84ybl5au9mjpg.jpg

1920_Packard_Twin_6_Roadster.jpg

As the years went on we seemed to have lost our interest in bright automotive colors. The article goes on to say that one contributing reason is the color of our technology plays a role in the color of our cars. I disagree with this on so many levels, but I would like to point out that if these were the case then in 1998 with the introduction of the iMac G3 and it's colorful design, we should have had some sick neon colors in the late 90's, but instead all we got was the dodge neon itself in 1993.

Anyways, Does the color of your car "really" mater? Are you a freak when it comes to the color of your car? Would you pass up/purchase a car only base on the color? and finally, what does the color of someone else's car say to you?

Does red scream "race car"? does black say "don't look at me"?

For me, I don't know why, but I have always loved burgundy colored cars the most. There is something about a red wine or copper color that simply sings to me. I have never really enjoyed "bright" cars that grab your eye whenever they drive by like a brand new Ferrari in "Rosso Corsa". Burgundy feels like a safe mixture to me of unique and subtle.

bf99f47f2cdcd46a30c10e085d55d6aa--kia-motors-vossen-wheels.jpg

Oddly enough for me, color maters BIG time. I tend to avoid colors that I deem to lack excitement such as black or grey. I feel as though black and grey lack any form of enjoyment. This is by the way opinionated and if you happen to own a black or grey car then this is not a stab at you (the driver), but more an opinion about the paint on the car. If you happen to LOVE your black BMW, then I say "more power to ya my dude", but for me... the color does little for me.

Anyways... What colors do you all love/hate. Does the color of a car mater? and would you like to see old bright colors make a comeback? Let me know what you think and be sure to post your favorite car in your favorite color.

For me... It's always going to be the Mustang in "Grabber Blue". There is so much win in my book on this color!

MOTM-Hypermotive-2017-Mustang-GT-Grabber-Blue1-657x360.jpg

I was just talking about Grabber Blue with my dad a couple weeks ago. We were discussing the colors of our project trucks and options. Grabber Blue just works on so many vehicles.

56487556-770-0@2X.jpg

Personally I like seeing a variety. The landscape is bland now. Even the "colors" are predominantly dark and subtle. One I've NEVER liked, however, is snot green...on anything.

img-1604078832-1492787388926.jpg

Matter*

Color makes a big difference to me and will heavily influence a purchase, but it all depends on the vehicle. If it's a fair weather fun vehicle, I lean towards bright "look at me" colors. On a daily driver, I tend to prefer more understated incognito hues. Limited production colors are always interesting to me as well. I've noticed as I get older, I really appreciate dark metallic greens, browns and blues more than I did when I was younger.

In short, yes, color makes a difference, but it's all relevant to the vehicle.

Current Favorite on a new car:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/16q2/667344/2016-volkswagen-golf-r-photo-667346-s-429x262.jpg

3VW447AU4JM263815-2s.jpg

Big fan of Orange too but it's hard to make it right.

Mazdaspeed Spicey Orange

2003-mazdaspeed-protege-photo-3651-s-original.jpg

Go Mango is a classic, Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler had some of the best

http://americanclassicscars.com/uploads/pictures/1970-dodge-charger-440-6-pack-4-speed-correct-go-mango-california-car-8.jpg

GM's Ontario Orange is beautiful in person

maxresdefault.jpg

Mazda's Velocity Red Mica is one of the best reds ever...

920x920.jpg

...besides Porsche Guards Red

http://www.memorymotorsports.com/wp-content/uploads/ngg_featured/1_6909.jpg

and of course VW's Tornado Red looks great on their sportwagen

http://blog.sinclairvolkswagen.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/vw_golf_r_estate_front_side.jpg

Mazda's Marina Green Mica is awesome, but I'm a little bias on that too

IMG_3720-1-940x705.jpg

Not a fan of white, would probably never own another yellow car. When buying used I'm not as picky about the color, if I'm buying new, I'm getting the color I want.

From my perspective, color always matters. But it's polarizing. Some people love green, some people hate it. White, black, silver, and gray are the least offensive colors, Sure some people love them but nobody really "hates" them, at most they feel indifferent.

Some People have come to realize that cars are large capital investments in their lives that also devalues the quickest so they try to protect their "investment" by setting it up to do the least amount of damage to value.

Also the dealership model has changed. In the old days people ordered cars more often and dealers even ran promotions where you could pay extra to have your car painted any color in the PPG catalog (my father purchased his Dusk Blue 1969 z/28 this way). Now most people buy what's on the lot because that gets them the best deal, so dealers order cars in the least offensive, most broadly appealing colors they can so they can move them faster. Occasionally they will take a chance on an odd color, or the mfg will tell them they have to take a unit in a certain color, but unless there is a buyer willing to pay a premium, not a lot of dealers are going to order more than one metallic purple 3 series.

Of course enthusiast cars tend to be the exception. It's more common to see small production cars, or cars with a known market in a more broad color spectrum. This is why you see a lot more of ocean blue and Camo green wranglers, or Plum crazy purple dodge challengers than you would see those colors on other cars.

Personally, to me every car cannot wear every color. I firmly believe that every jeep needs at least one green color available, and probbaly should stay away from flats and purples. I love my GTO, esp in it's burgundy color but I oddly hare that burgundy color on a lot of other cars, for some reason I also love yellows on a lot of cars but the 1966-67 GTO's just don't wear it well at all (which is probably why it was never offered as an option).

I absolutely despise white, gray, and black cars but somehow I ended up driving a white car and my wife ended up with a black one because they were both such good deals we couldn't pass it up for the price.

Nah, give me black and white anyday. Sure an exotic Singer Porsche or something looks fantastic in retro green, ect.... but I tend to look at the lines, design, without color mattering most time...they tend to look best (to me) in black /white/grey.

Current Favorite on a new car:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/16q2/667344/2016-volkswagen-golf-r-photo-667346-s-429x262.jpg

3VW447AU4JM263815-2s.jpg

Big fan of Orange too but it's hard to make it right.

Mazdaspeed Spicey Orange

2003-mazdaspeed-protege-photo-3651-s-original.jpg

Go Mango is a classic, Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler had some of the best

http://americanclassicscars.com/uploads/pictures/1970-dodge-charger-440-6-pack-4-speed-correct-go-mango-california-car-8.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Mazda's Velocity Red Mica is one of the best reds ever...

920x920.jpg

...besides Porsche Guards Red

http://www.memorymotorsports.com/wp-content/uploads/ngg_featured/1_6909.jpg

and of course VW's Tornado Red looks great on their sportwagen

http://blog.sinclairvolkswagen.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/vw_golf_r_estate_front_side.jpg

Mazda's Marina Green Mica is awesome, but I'm a little bias on that too

IMG_3720-1-940x705.jpg

Not a fan of white, would probably never own another yellow car. When buying used I'm not as picky about the color, if I'm buying new, I'm getting the color I want.

My favorite thing about my 2010 MS3 was the color - Velocity red

Nah, give me black and white anyday. Sure an exotic Singer Porsche or something looks fantastic in retro green, ect.... but I tend to look at the lines, design, without color mattering most time...they tend to look best (to me) in black /white/grey.

I can respect this, because you say that the lines, design, and other elements are more important. Do you feel like the grey/black colors bring out the lines better then a brighter color such as red or orange? would you feel like the more muted colors bring out the lines better then a brighter color?

Just wondering what your thoughts are. :)

I'm in love with that orange, WOW! what a color!

My Morea Green BMW would never have been a color I would've chosen, but it quickly grew on me for sure.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=840&pictureid=7186

I specifically sought Thunder Grey for my CTS-V...jumped on one out in Cali when it came up for sale.

Then, the Lincoln...in it's Medium Chamois Metallic glory...

Yes. I went from a fan of black cars to a more sophisticated palate. :)

All my current vehicles were exactly the colors I wanted. Ive done it other ways in the past and regretted it. They just happen to be all blue. The BRZ was new so that was easy and it turned out to be a 1 year only color. The A3 is pretty rare in that its 1 of 25 in a manual in 08 in sprint blue. I flew to D.C to get it. The C10 project is Viper GTS blue which I picked out years ago.

My wife said she didn't care with her current BMW but now I think she regrets settling on gray because it was otherwise everything we/she wanted. But she's not a car person and I clean it so its easy for me.

But yes cars are so boring now!

I did sit in an orange RS3 over the weekend at the autoshow in Cleveland. It was sick!

6yfPu86l.jpg

7DS2BGxl.jpg

Yes, I prefer a color on a car. Greyscale isn't for me.

Yep. Pretty much how I feel.

Generally speaking, I think gray and silver are just way too common and boring, especially silver. But there are definitely some exceptions. I had a 1998 Grand Prix that was painted what GM called Silvermist, it was kind of a "dirty" metallic silver, and I really liked it.....

tvqd2s1l.jpg

I can respect this, because you say that the lines, design, and other elements are more important. Do you feel like the grey/black colors bring out the lines better then a brighter color such as red or orange? would you feel like the more muted colors bring out the lines better then a brighter color?

Just wondering what your thoughts are. :)

I'm in love with that orange, WOW! what a color!

Its both. I think black any day of the week brings out the body lines and the most unique panel reflections by far, while on the other hand I think a silver or white is going to blend together more. You notice the differences more in the shape of windows, trim and openings on top of the lighter shades in those cases. I feel any color is just somewhere between these two conditions. For example a ruby red will give you more the effects black has to offer, while a lighter blue or green, ect will depend on the trim, openings, and other details and they will pop more. That is why I think black cars always look sleeker and more elegant. The specific details on black seem (to me) to simply visually enhance the bodywork of black vs they become an apparent feature or item on say, a white car.

A sleek black Mercedes might very well look all the more elegant compared to its white counterpart. For example, a AMG with its high door lines and vents will show way more in white, and thus look more racey than sleek. In comparison, a new Civic SI might look odd with its bazillion facets in black, coupled with the chiseled lines blending with all the black vents and such. A white Civic SI is going to more proudly display those vents, which seem to be the main in-your-face styling of it. A dark blue might give the best of both in that case...show off these items, yet subdue the contrast a little. Look at that guards red Porsche posted above. I'd argue those black accents and window lines are really setting off the shape. I think if it were black it would look all the more sleek and low...bring the tall window openings down a little and such.

Mt black FJ is another example I feel the white roof just capping it makes it a little less top heavy than a brighter one as the A-pillars just fade out into the blackness. You also get the convex reflective area where the doors curve into the windows creating a horizontal effect that is high, making the windows look even shorter, and as it continues over the wheel wells it accents them nicely, making the wheel wells look beefier and tougher...on the yellow or blue trucks you dont really see those features.

Grayscale is perfect because colors tend to reflect moods. If I had a yellow car I'd probably only appreciate it on days I'm happy, or feeling chill with some shade of blue, etc. I don't know about green.. that's just weird. Since I have a constant, underlying hatred for everything I can always be at peace with a (clean) black car.

There are some cars (I.e. Corvette) that look good in a white or a light color as the spoilers, vents, and ducts are a dark color.

I usually lean towards flashy colors but there is something about a q ship in a light silver or beige that is exciting knowing Johnnie Law will not bother you.

I used to love black on cars. It just looked mean. But as car styling has incorporated more and more styling elements, I'm finding that black hides it. So with newer cars I'm starting to lean towards brighter colors that show off contours and contract the black accents that manufacturers are adding now.

Though I think the new Camaro looks good in both black and lighter colors... The damn thing is growing on me..

History shows that I cycle between white cars and black cars. I'm not sure what this means other than I am predictable, dichotomous, and great in bed.

More and more, though, I have been thinking about color in my car. Not long ago, a red 997 drove past my house and I thought it was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen. I'm thinking of maybe just wrapping my car with some new color every couple of years as a way of breaking the routine and getting some color in my life.

I tend to like black cars for the sleek shiny look. I also feel like in a daily it attracts the least attention. However, when I am looking for "fun" cars, I usually look for specific colors that I like on the particular car I am looking for. For example, when we were looking for a Camaro a few years ago, I was looking at all the rare colors and Hugger Orange was and still is my favorite color on these cars.

20180303_185206.jpg

this topic hits home...I'm REALLY opinionated when it comes to this stuff.

Black is beautiful and menacing BUT it absolutely does NOT belong on a sports car. As Draco pointed out it hides too many of the lines of the car. Save it for big sedans and SUV's.

Navy blue is horrible in every way. I'll personally never own another blue car ever. My truck in highschool was blue and I always wished it was black instead. Scared me forever I just can't stand blue cars now. I actually like some of the newer bright blue colors on the market right now but out of principal I wouldn't buy them.

My default color for every single car I buy is white. It's pure and bright without being loud and allows the design of the car to be shown off. From there for daily drivers I'll go to the silver or gray side away from white depending on the car.

Weekend / Toys also would default to white for me...actually I really wish my GT3 was white. For the weekend toys I'll gladly go the way of obnoxious look at me colors (which I clearly have with red and yellow) without worry.

this topic hits home...I'm REALLY opinionated when it comes to this stuff.

Black is beautiful and menacing BUT it absolutely does NOT belong on a sports car. As Draco pointed out it hides too many of the lines of the car. Save it for big sedans and SUV's.

Navy blue is horrible in every way. I'll personally never own another blue car ever. My truck in highschool was blue and I always wished it was black instead. Scared me forever I just can't stand blue cars now. I actually like some of the newer bright blue colors on the market right now but out of principal I wouldn't buy them.

My default color for every single car I buy is white. It's pure and bright without being loud and allows the design of the car to be shown off. From there for daily drivers I'll go to the silver or gray side away from white depending on the car.

Weekend / Toys also would default to white for me...actually I really wish my GT3 was white. For the weekend toys I'll gladly go the way of obnoxious look at me colors (which I clearly have with red and yellow) without worry.

I had to laugh - my wife hates the Vector Blue ATSV I have in my sights because she is scarred from a blue Windstar mini van we bought when we first got married.

I love the color of my Camaro but I have found it difficult to find appearance mods in colors that work other than black. For example, when I had the calipers powder coated I struggled finding the right color and am still not satisfied I picked the right color to be honest.

It definitely matters, I hate green especially dark green and would not buy one, just strikes me as an old man car. I also do not care for loud look at me colors like red and yellow, those I feel don't suit me. I love my white cars because they are a little understated, look clean and simple with black accents. My daily is black for the same reason, doesn't stand out and when cleaned up it looks nice. I feel like car guys would notice my cars and notice that someone cares about them, but they wouldn't turn heads and attract attention especially from a non-car person.

While we're on this color topic, I hate tan interiors. I also think black wheels are played out and unoriginal at this point. To me a polished or chrome wheel is what's timeless not some cheap looking black wheel.