Any headphone nerds here?

Trouble Maker

I just moved into a new group at work and think I will be sitting at my desk a bit more. I'm thinking about picking up a nice pair of headphones, and maybe an amp & DAC.

What's everyone have?

I was thinking about getting a Schiit Magni or Vali & Modi for amp & DAC.

Maybe the Audio Technica ATH-M50 for the headphones, but I'm worried from what I've read they will be a bit bass heavy for my liking. Maybe if I go this route and do the Vali I can try some other tubes to tune the low end if they are too bass heavy for me.

ATH-M50x is really the leader here in many aspects if your budget is around $150. Don't need an amp in my opinion. However try the MSR7 too for not a ton more money.

But Planar Magnetic units are < $300 now if you really want to make that next jump. Probably need at least an FiiO A3 amp when you start to get into that bracket.

Biggest issue with most high end units is they are no longer sealed and won't work in an office desk setting you are looking to use them in.

I think my Beats sound pretty good for $100....

LOL Beats... i'm sorry... I can't take that company seriously. I would recommend listening to some FLAC audio on some nice Audio Technica or Bose headphones to hear the difference. :)

Have a Schiit modi and magni highly recommended.

Picked me up a set of Hifiman 400 i and it sounds great.

They are on sale for half right now.

They are really tempting at the current $210 price point, think they are the cheapest set of Planar Magnetic headphones on the market right now and with GREAT reviews to boot.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126332&highlight=Headphones

Asked about headphones awhile back and got some good advice there. My daughter picked the sol republic's and she loves them. She uses them constantly and the battery life has been excellent. I've only listened to them a couple times but thought they sounded good enough for me.

I have a pair of skull candy that I think I paid 10 dollars for... sounds good but they aren't wireless... when I need wireless with a microphone, I have Logitech H800.... paid like 60 bucks for them and they sound good for music and rock Skype

A Thread where "Beats" and "Skull Candy" have been recommended when OP mentioned he wanted Audio-Technica headphones... please excuse me while i go vomit. :barf:

I'm not trying to be rude. But, "good" headphones I guess must be subjective depending on the person using them. I used to think my $20 Sony headphones where ok in High School, but once I listened to a pair of GOOD headphones... I just can't go back or recommend something different. If you care about the music you listen to and want to really enjoy it, then DO NOT cheep out on your speakers or headphones.

Stick with the Audio-Technica idea, I assure you will not be disappointed. To be honest, I all depends on the "quality" of the music you listen to and if you give a damn.

Here is a fun little test to see of you and your ears can tell the difference.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

I was able to get a 4/6 using external speakers. Bet I could get higher with my Klipsch headphones, but your mileage may very. Happy Hunting! ;)

A Thread where "Beats" and "Skull Candy" have been recommended when OP mentioned he wanted Audio-Technica headphones... please excuse me while i go vomit. :barf:

I'm not trying to be rude. But, "good" headphones I guess must be subjective depending on the person using them. I used to think my $20 Sony headphones where ok in High School, but once I listened to a pair of GOOD headphones... I just can't go back or recommend something different. If you care about the music you listen to and want to really enjoy it, then DO NOT cheep out on your speakers or headphones.

Stick with the Audio-Technica idea, I assure you will not be disappointed. To be honest, I all depends on the "quality" of the music you listen to and if you give a damn.

Here is a fun little test to see of you and your ears can tell the difference.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

I was able to get a 4/6 using external speakers. Bet I could get higher with my Klipsch headphones, but your mileage may very. Happy Hunting! ;)

I'd rather keep money in my pocket...I don't really see a huge difference in the sound quality... But then again, I have a pair of chinese over the ear bluetooth that I use while mowing, and then I have headphones for skype or learning shit for work.

I'd rather keep money in my pocket...I don't really see a huge difference in the sound quality... But then again, I have a pair of chinese over the ear bluetooth that I use while mowing, and then I have headphones for skype or learning shit for work.

I respect this... I really do. I was just being silly with the "vomit" comment. Some folks hear music and just hear music and nothing more. I had a really good friend in college who was an audiophile and his entire music library was FLAC (uncompressed) audio. He and a few others showed me what "good" quality music sounded like. I guess I could equate music quality to how some folks look at cars... Some folks will purchase their Prius and be happy with it until the day they die. They might even be proud of their Prius and think it's the best thing ever... Others, may aspire to own a Lamborghini for many different reasons. Basically, I'm trying to say "to each their own"

Listen to your music on whatever you want and be happy :)

I'd rather keep money in my pocket...I don't really see a huge difference in the sound quality... But then again, I have a pair of chinese over the ear bluetooth that I use while mowing.

+1.

Respect for you audiophiles keeping the headset game going. If I'm not flying a plane, I need my Chinamazon specials to 1) deliver music at a reasonable level, while also 2) keep me able to hear a yelling wife or screaming kids as I'm outside around the garage/driveway/yard.

I respect this... I really do. I was just being silly with the "vomit" comment. Some folks hear music and just hear music and nothing more. I had a really good friend in college who was an audiophile and his entire music library was FLAC (uncompressed) audio. He and a few others showed me what "good" quality music sounded like. I guess I could equate music quality to how some folks look at cars... Some folks will purchase their Prius and be happy with it until the day they die. They might even be proud of their Prius and think it's the best thing ever... Others, may aspire to own a Lamborghini for many different reasons. Basically, I'm trying to say "to each their own"

Listen to your music on whatever you want and be happy :)

I get it... I just can't justify that kind of cost... again, I have the high end stereo in my car and don't really notice a difference

That's amazing you can get magnetic planers, especially ones that are that well reviewed, for $210 now. But, like you said, I'm in a pretty tight cube farm, so anything buy full closed back is a no-go. I do want to own some Maggies at some point in my life, just out of sheer curiosity.

Biggu, did you notice those new pads reduced isolation or increased leakage at all?

I know I don't need an amp or DAC with the M50s, I kind of just want one. :) It should sound better anyway, even if the impedance and sensitivity of the phones don't demand it. I'd also like some flexibility for other phones in the future that do need an amp.

I've had some ATH-AD700s for years now, they're open-back with great spatial separation and the imaging is spot on for gaming...but they do lack in the bass department.

I recently added a Bravo Audio Tube amp with an upgraded Genalex 12AU7 and a HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB DAC which was some of the best money I've ever spent. The music is much more warm and impactful, not to mention my game skills went thru the roof.

Also, if you're going to be playing music from your laptop or computer, look into downloading APO Equalizer. It's a game changer as well.