Why are we not discussing the 2019 ZR1

Benner

10s in a showroom stock vette is pretty fantastic. 16 year old me living through the C4 era never thought I would see something like that at all.

As more cars are running this numbers I wonder if they are going to push the ET requiring a roll cage lower.

Also, I wonder if the prices of older zr1s will come down more.

Because a it's a $120,000+ car that does things a $120,000+ car should do.

^ that

and CR only does politics and bench racing now

x3 Love the advancements but as time rolls on the reality is these cars are getting to be ridiculously priced. I don't care how fast they are when they are priced like that. It's one thing if it's a daily driver E63S that may lease out for $1,200mo but I doubt many would be daily driving that Vette.

As more cars are running this numbers I wonder if they are going to push the ET requiring a roll cage lower.

They did this a few years ago. nearly stock street cars that are capable of these times from the factory are allowed to run without a cage. I think the cutoff is like 10.50 now and 135mph.

FWIW - The 2011 997 Turbo S also ran 10.9 from the factory 7 years ago.

Should we talk about the disappointing 7:12 ring time for the ZR-1 that was set on the same day the new 520hp GT3 RS went 6:56?

Should we talk about the disappointing 7:12 ring time for the ZR-1 that was set on the same day the new 520hp GT3 RS went 6:56?

There is nothing official about the 7:12 time. There is no question the ZR1 is faster than that given the ZL1 1LE and Z06 times. If they are not able to beat that it will be pretty lame.

There is nothing official about the 7:12 time. There is no question the ZR1 is faster than that given the ZL1 1LE and Z06 times. If they are not able to beat that it will be pretty lame.

I agree, but the initial results are disappointing. They were there testing the ZR-1 in full camo last year when we were at the Ring and it looked damn fast.

Even I would say these cars are expensive, but starting with the Model S P100D Ludicrous Mode (as well as many cars going back to the late 90s), I'm realizing that you pay for OEM-levels of engineering going into a product that does 1/4mile rips and DD's a family of 5 safely...how much does it cost to do that?

This is not a VetteHack or JP making a Colt trap 160mph...these are full-interior vehicles with a warranty and nationwide network of servicing. There's something to be said for this.

Back to the ZR1...the performance numbers will flesh out but it is getting to a point where you need to compete as a manufacturer to remain relevant; that's half the battle (look at Aston Martin). Beyond that, only 10% of the 1% will truly use and enjoy the bleeding edge of the performance envelope these cars offer. To that, the ZR1 looks to deliver.

I hope GM trickles down ZR1 tech into lower models down the road. :)

Not sure I’m sold on these cars. There’s a point at which they’ve maxed out the high hp, rwd car. May wait to see the mid engine version or look to an exotic. Anyone else think this car should trap closer to 140? I know this is not a 720s, but those are trapping 140’s with stock tires and (supposedly) less power—I know there’s a weight advantage but the vette has more torque. I’d pull the wing off this car immediately if I bought one and make a picnic table out of it

Not sure I’m sold on these cars. There’s a point at which they’ve maxed out the high hp, rwd car. May wait to see the mid engine version or look to an exotic. Anyone else think this car should trap closer to 140? I know this is not a 720s, but those are trapping 140’s with stock tires and (supposedly) less power—I know there’s a weight advantage but the vette has more torque. I’d pull the wing off this car immediately if I bought one and make a picnic table out of it

Texas Mile no wing. 190mph

I will say that there was a C7 Z06 Targa at CC&C this morning and I drooled a little bit on the lines of that fucker. My FiL has a "regular" 455hp C7 7-speed and coming from owning/driving C4/C5's that C7 is an interstellar spaceship. I can only imagine what the C7 Z06 is capable of......much less the new ZR1 coming out. :eek:

I don't know about the ZR1, but a lift-roof C7 GrandSport or Z06 is definitely on my "to-own" list a few years down the road, maybe once the kids can drive and have their own cars. :)

I will say that there was a C7 Z06 Targa at CC&C this morning and I drooled a little bit on the lines of that fucker. My FiL has a "regular" 455hp C7 7-speed and coming from owning/driving C4/C5's that C7 is an interstellar spaceship. I can only imagine what the C7 Z06 is capable of......much less the new ZR1 coming out. :eek:

I don't know about the ZR1, but a lift-roof C7 GrandSport or Z06 is definitely on my "to-own" list a few years down the road, maybe once the kids can drive and have their own cars. :)

I've driven maybe 6 to 10 Z06's autos and manuals. They still blow my mind and make me smile everytime. Had a black on black carbon fiber trim and roof one today that made me smile like a school girl just sitting in it today. Only drove it maybe 100ft.

Just saw a bunch of them down at the Bash this week. A couple owners already had them on the track but GM brought down at least 10 of them, all optioned different. I posted some photos in the Photo section.

Some of them with the options I wasn't a fan, but certain colors and options made them look great. On cold starts.... WOW they sound mean.