What to do..what to get...

Geeesammy

So I had a local guy throw me an offer on my Supra that I don't really want to turn down, I've been thinking about moving along with life anyway and with buying a house recently and wanting to switch careers, etc. as well as the thought of getting out of big builds and maybe even shying away from being a "car guy" in general I'm somewhat at a loss as what to get next.

I currently have my Supra, a 2014 Ram that I like, but really only got so I could use it as a tow rig (which I have done like 2 times), but now I am realizing I don't have the time or motivation to be a real track rat like I thought I would, and I have an '07 GSXR.

The GSXR hasn't been ridden for more than a few miles in years (see lack of time and motivation). I am seeing the car head that direction, each time I go to wrench on it or drive it something pops up resulting in a change of plans or I just find something else that gets my attention (see house).

With that out there for the roasting, now I need ideas on what car to get next. I've thought of a few things.

Cheap daily and C5

I loved my Saturn SL1 while I had it. 5 speed, 4 doors, I am huge and it is comical. I could beat the snot out of it, go nowhere fast but have fun (somehow) doing it. It used ounces of gas and required maybe 3 scoops worth of belly button lint to get parts for.

Seeing C5's hovering around/below the $10k mark for a decent example in 6 speed variant has me debating one. Just doing basic mods makes them even more capable than they already are, plus maintenance is fairly cheap as well as mods (at least compared to what I am dealing with now). Seeing Cordells and what he has done with it makes me even more interested in the platform and they have always been the car I've seen growing up and wanted (mainly a Z06, but I'm trying to be a bit more frugal). It would be nice to be in something RWD with air conditioning for a change that isn't a bitch to drive on the street. I'm sick of 6 pucks and a stinky exhaust, plus having a dump tube scream in my ear when I get on it is irritating.

Nifty C10 or RCSB/ Focus ST

I've always had a thing for RCSB trucks as well as C10's, the look and thought of a lowered C10 or RCSB with a V8 and 2wd is appealing. I don't need one for towing duty, but anyone with a house that does any work themselves knows a truck is always handy, not to mention I can't imagine life without a truck now. Clay has made me envious since my joining on this forum and I have always been slightly envious of his budget vehicles that are always running like a top and still get attention due to their uniqueness.

I've driven numerous Focus ST's at work, finding one in stock form anymore feels like buying a used WRX. Most have been bought by a younger person, had dumb mods made and run hard, now they are offloading it after 35k hard miles. While I've never seen any consistent issues with them at work, the thought of getting someone else's nightmare again has me concerned. I like the idea of a nice newish funish car with good economy, but I cannot grasp the idea of autocrossing or having a lot of fun in a fwd car, but again, im not even doing that with my rwd car. It would be nice though to hit the course in comfort, have room for the doggy in the back on trips, and be able to seat 4 comfortbalyish if needed.

I would entertain the idea of swapping out the ST for a GTI, WRX, maybe even a decent cheap 350z or anything but a Miata, as long as I fit (I'm 6'6") and the car is $20,000 or less, ideally below $15,000.

Nice daily/keep truck, another "budget" build

I've been intrigued by 3SGTE's lately, as well as 4AGE's, I've even debated as far as swapping a 3SGTE into a Corolla or something and just having fun, or 4AGE swapping a Supra somehow just to piss off purists.

I really don't want to go this route. I already know the ragrat will set in as soon as I tow the car home and push it into my garage. I'm quite literally 110% burnt out on the big builds, I've lent my hands and eyes to too many peoples automotive issues over the last 18-24 months and my flame is out, maybe once im out of the industry it will come back, but who knows. For now I am loving smoking cigars on my back deck while sipping a Corona after doing home improvements.

No more cars, dirtbikes

I've also been into the thought of buying a quad or two and dirtbike and just riding when I have time. Trade the truck in on an older 3 series 6 speed BMW, pay cash for a beater truck and just have fun.

Anyways, roast on and complain about my "failed abortion" of a Supra project, failed life, etc. I can promise you I've likely already heard it and don't give a flying about your opinion relating to those topics.

Open for new submissions, so long as it involves a truck and somewhat fun car, I'm not interested in buying a GTR, 911, etc. Totally off the table.

Also, no I'm not drunk, just on a second shift sleep schedule.

I've had quads in the past and had a blast. However they will beat you up, the only reason I don't still have one is how bad is hurts when I'm done riding. Of course I could take it easy on one and I might be okay, but it's not fun for me to put around.

Having a house now I think it would be smart of you to have a truck even if you don't keep the Ram you have now. If you sell the Supra, just keep your eyes open for something of interest. Don't rush into anything, but of course I like the C5.

RCSB with a basic turbo setup. Would make a good daily and can still haul stuff. The ATV idea is great, if you have a place to ride. That's always been my holdup on getting back into them. Not quite as fun if you have to drive an hour or two just to ride.

I would:

Sell the Supra

keep the truck and GSXR

Work on the house.

Still not interested in riding the GSXR by mid summer sell it and look for something else to work on over the winter or another house project.

I think the problem is...you need to figure out what you want to do.

think about it, up until this point you bought things or built things because they vaguely seemed like they would be fun, without any real goal or activity in mind. The Supra, while cool I am sure, really isn't a good drag car, isn't a good auto-x car, isn't a good street car, and you are kind of bored with it because even if you get it sorted, what's the point, amirite? I mean it's not like Miller will actually race you with his viper so...

I think a little direction might help you. Think about what automotive milestones you want to accomplish and make a plan to go after them. You want to chase an auto-x championship? do it. You want to run a specific number int he 1/4 mile, build something to get you there. You want to win a trophy at a car show for the work you put into something, plan out the project and go for it. Once you start chasing something, all these other questions will get answered for you because you will have purpose and actually be problem solving, not just tossing darts at an unknown target.

Right now, if I were you I would buy a motorcycle race suit and go take the gsxr to a track day and see if you like performance riding at all. You might love track riding, or you might realize you don't like motorcycles, but there is only really one way to test your interest and that is by doing something. heck, take it land speed racing too while you have the suit. Personally I wouldn't buy a quad, you already have a motorbike that you can literally ride anywhere and you don't, having a less practical version of that isn't going to make you ride more.

I like the RCSB/fun daily idea. I'm surprise you actually fit in a Focus. I'm just shy of 6' and I feel a bit cramped. :lol:

I've got 65k on my car with just an air filter and it's been rock solid. I wouldn't be worried about it, and you will be able to tell if it's been ran hard or not. I've got a couple of friends as well that are Stage 3 and E30 for probably 2+ years and they haven't had any issues. They're a blast to autocross too, FYI.

It sounds like another build wouldn't be a good idea for you as your priorities have changed quite a bit and whatever you get will probably just sit until you resell it. That's just what I've gathered from your post.

+1 - the Focus ST is about the most fun per PRACTICALITY dollar you can get, and it HAULS on an autocross course - pretty much dominates in GS with zero modifications. I'm 6'4", and I don't feel cramped in mine, even with the sunroof; I get more bumps on the knee on course in my Mustang than the Focus.

Mine has just over 50k miles with no problems.

It's not really something you want to drive for a quarter-mile car, or a highway-pulls car, but it does everything you need a daily driver to do, looks nice, and does it with a modicum of fun.

I've had a C5Z for 8 years as my fun car and never put many miles on it (3k per year). It's not the most comfortable car and C5's in general have a lot of small issues that pop up from time to time so you have to know your car pretty well. As I made plans to upgrade it I realized soon that parts are very expensive for vettes. I thoroughly enjoyed the car and it was certainly fast but most of the time I just putted around and it was a compromise. Sold it about a month ago and picked up a 2014 Focus ST.

I now daily the Focus with Stage 3 mods and it isn't nearly as fast as the Z06 but I find myself having more fun with it. Maybe it's because it is new to me, maybe it is because I'm putting more miles on it and driving it everywhere, or maybe it is because it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. I had several reasons why this was a good decision for me which likely don't apply to your own situation but that is my input on two of the cars you listed.

Just get what you have fun driving, will actually use, and can afford comfortably now. You can always pick up a beater razecar if you want to drift, scare yourself, or whatever for 6 days of the year.

Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you can handle it. Plenty of people out there pussyfooting in high hp cars getting rekt by easy-mode FWD with modern nannies and engineering. Also, overmodding LOL naw naw naw. Over-raced fun car just means you'll be truckin it 9/10 days and fuck that slow shit.

Didn’t read all these Geeto level novels, but just sell the Supra while the offer is good. Continue to daily the Ram and use it while you work on the house. Ride the GSXR when you feel the need to. If you haven’t taken it out much by mid summer, sell it while the market is hot. Focus on the house since that’s your current interest, then when you get burnt out on the house, revisit the car situation. You’ll have money in the bank and possibly a more realistic idea of your wants and needs.

I've had quads in the past and had a blast. However they will beat you up, the only reason I don't still have one is how bad is hurts when I'm done riding. Of course I could take it easy on one and I might be okay, but it's not fun for me to put around.

Having a house now I think it would be smart of you to have a truck even if you don't keep the Ram you have now. If you sell the Supra, just keep your eyes open for something of interest. Don't rush into anything, but of course I like the C5.

Big reason for me to get a dirtbikes is to do enduro racing, which I've always loved and wanted to do, it'd give me a reason to get into shape and stay in shape.

I like the idea of having a truck, even if it's a beater since I'm always finding a reason to need one. I've always wanted a C5 but like you said, I'm not gonna rush into anything unless it's the car I want at a price I like.

RCSB with a basic turbo setup. Would make a good daily and can still haul stuff. The ATV idea is great, if you have a place to ride. That's always been my holdup on getting back into them. Not quite as fun if you have to drive an hour or two just to ride.

Then I'm back into the project situation. If i wanted any power out of it it would need an 80e, then a better rear end or at least rebuilt one, I'm not wanting to do that at this point in life. Eventually maybe, right now I just wanna get my house done how I want and have something(s?) To have fun with, either on or off road (excluding jeeping)

C5 for your fun car, I think that is an easy choice.

Do you want to stick with only two vehicles? Would you be opposed to three?

In a way I'd be against it, barring the 3rd is $1k or less. Really dislike insuring/registering more than 2 vehicles.

I would:

Sell the Supra

keep the truck and GSXR

Work on the house.

Still not interested in riding the GSXR by mid summer sell it and look for something else to work on over the winter or another house project.

GSXR has gotta go. I'm too big and I'm just not into it anymore. Too many close calls on it and it's just not comfy to ride anymore. If i stay with a bike ill go street glide but that's a decade down the road.

Big reason for me to get a dirtbikes is to do enduro racing, which I've always loved and wanted to do, it'd give me a reason to get into shape and stay in shape.

I think there is your answer. Truck + bike and gear.

I think the problem is...you need to figure out what you want to do.

think about it, up until this point you bought things or built things because they vaguely seemed like they would be fun, without any real goal or activity in mind. The Supra, while cool I am sure, really isn't a good drag car, isn't a good auto-x car, isn't a good street car, and you are kind of bored with it because even if you get it sorted, what's the point, amirite? I mean it's not like Miller will actually race you with his viper so...

I think a little direction might help you. Think about what automotive milestones you want to accomplish and make a plan to go after them. You want to chase an auto-x championship? do it. You want to run a specific number int he 1/4 mile, build something to get you there. You want to win a trophy at a car show for the work you put into something, plan out the project and go for it. Once you start chasing something, all these other questions will get answered for you because you will have purpose and actually be problem solving, not just tossing darts at an unknown target.

Right now, if I were you I would buy a motorcycle race suit and go take the gsxr to a track day and see if you like performance riding at all. You might love track riding, or you might realize you don't like motorcycles, but there is only really one way to test your interest and that is by doing something. heck, take it land speed racing too while you have the suit. Personally I wouldn't buy a quad, you already have a motorbike that you can literally ride anywhere and you don't, having a less practical version of that isn't going to make you ride more.

Supra good to roll around with on the street, but without major investment it won't be good at anything else. I don't really want to chase anything, I just want to have a car that can be driven to meets in relative comfort, be taken to any events and have fun with and is cheap to maintain.

I really have no desire to race motorcycles, I really just want out of the bike and into an enduro bike or something similar. I have place near me to ride, but I also don't mind driving to ride somewhere. I don't ride the bike because it isn't very comfortable and it gets hot as fuck in the summer, not to mention no one pays attention anymore.

+1 - the Focus ST is about the most fun per PRACTICALITY dollar you can get, and it HAULS on an autocross course - pretty much dominates in GS with zero modifications. I'm 6'4", and I don't feel cramped in mine, even with the sunroof; I get more bumps on the knee on course in my Mustang than the Focus.

Mine has just over 50k miles with no problems.

It's not really something you want to drive for a quarter-mile car, or a highway-pulls car, but it does everything you need a daily driver to do, looks nice, and does it with a modicum of fun.

I've had a C5Z for 8 years as my fun car and never put many miles on it (3k per year). It's not the most comfortable car and C5's in general have a lot of small issues that pop up from time to time so you have to know your car pretty well. As I made plans to upgrade it I realized soon that parts are very expensive for vettes. I thoroughly enjoyed the car and it was certainly fast but most of the time I just putted around and it was a compromise. Sold it about a month ago and picked up a 2014 Focus ST.

I now daily the Focus with Stage 3 mods and it isn't nearly as fast as the Z06 but I find myself having more fun with it. Maybe it's because it is new to me, maybe it is because I'm putting more miles on it and driving it everywhere, or maybe it is because it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. I had several reasons why this was a good decision for me which likely don't apply to your own situation but that is my input on two of the cars you listed.

The one lingering issue I have with ST's is the insane rate of depreciation they have. Obviously most cars will, but it really seems to hit them hard.

It's a double edged sword. Part of me sees the deals, but then I know they are deals because of the quick depreciation.

Just get what you have fun driving, will actually use, and can afford comfortably now. You can always pick up a beater razecar if you want to drift, scare yourself, or whatever for 6 days of the year.

Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you can handle it. Plenty of people out there pussyfooting in high hp cars getting rekt by easy-mode FWD with modern nannies and engineering. Also, overmodding LOL naw naw naw. Over-raced fun car just means you'll be truckin it 9/10 days and fuck that slow shit.

Kind of where im at. I think a C5 would be a nice compromise between what I want (nutty rwd car) and something refined with some comforts (ac and handling well). It isn't insanely priced but is almost at the bottom as far as depreciation goes. It gives something to build on and mods are cheap and plenty of builds out there to mimmick.

I just want to have a car that can be driven to meets in relative comfort, be taken to any events and have fun with and is cheap to maintain.

have you thought about an old car? seriously, this sounds like a mid 1960's cadillac, or really any large 50's-60's barge.

There is easily $3500 worth of fun in this:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-cadillac/6563945332.html

more if you put air ride in it and lay frame at the meet.